VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone converted MPEG2 files using Nero 7 Recode for an iPOD? How well does it work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i didnt know ipod could accept Mpeg2 mainly because i dont have an ipod lol
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant, "Use Nero 7 Recode to convert an MPEG2 video file to the format used by an iPOD."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I use Nero Recode regularly to make DVD backups to iPod, It has two ways to make iPod compliant files, Either Nero Digital which is Nero's MPEG-4 Codec or Nero Digital AVC which is Nero's version of H.264/AVC. it has ready made templates for iPod Conversion and the quality is as good and in fact better than some of the other MPEG-4 Codecs. It is a must to use 2-pass encoding though, It is far superior to 1-pass with Nero Digital. What particular question or problem are you having??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not having a problem (haven't tried it yet), just wondering how well it works (thanks). Which works better, Nero Digital or Nero Digital AVC , or why use one versus the other?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Again,
    It depends what you are going to do with the Video, If you are going to watch it on the iPod only I would suggest using the AVC, it will give you a better picture at lower bitrate, I always use my iPod to watch movies on TV so I use regular Nero Digital and that will create larger frame resolutions that give a better picture for TV Out, I also uncheck the "Fit To Target" box at the bottom right-hand corner and adjust the bitrate slider to 1000kbps (700 kbps for AVC), This makes the final file size a little bigger but for TV Out results in a better picture. Make sure you are updated to the most recent version of Recode because they have made the templates a little more straightforward and fixed some annoying bugs in the trimmer. If you really want to max out the quality, You now can use even larger frame sizes i.e. 640xWidth since iTunes 7 and the iPod updater to version 1.2 firmware have upped the playback resolution limits for MPEG-4 Video. You can use the Nero Digital "Standard" templates to achieve this and if you check off the Quicktime Compatibility" box they will playback fine on your iPod providing the firmware has been updated. I use different Conversion software for different sources but I find Nero Recode to be the best for DVD or MPEG-2 (Unless it needs filters/restoration) to iPod, it even retains the Chapters and now Subs from the Source DVD. Make sure your source DVD has been decrypted by another application like Ripit4Me or DVDFabDecrypter or else Nero Recode won't accept it. Neither do most other converters. Sorry for the length of this post but Recode is great if you know some of the details!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    iPods now support 640x480 AVC playback, so it should look fine on a TV. Don't think they have added a profile for it yet though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. GMaq,

Can you see if your version Nero Recode have the H.264 640x480 profile for IPOD. Does the new 7.5 have it
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jntaylor63,
    I have the latest update for Recode which is 2.3.1.8, it doesn't have the new 640x480 AVC resolutions, I would guess they will do this with the next update, AFAIK there are no Windows softs (other than Quicktime Pro) that will do the new res and get it through iTunes onto the iPod, There are some workarounds that reportly work but not with iTunes. Matter of time I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi Gmaq,

I just bought new Video Ipod with 1.2 firmware.
    I am trying to encode 640x480 with a demo version of Nero recode,
    I read your posting but still a little confuse how to do it.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Leon8,
    You'll have to do 640x480 with Nero Digital (Not AVC) for now, I really wish I was savvy with screenshots for this but here goes, Open Nero recode->"Recode DVDs and Videos to Nero Digital->On the "My Nero Digital Disc" screen "Import Files" on the right hand margin->Uncheck "Fit to target" at bottom of right hand margin->"Nero Digital Category" select Nero Digital (not Apple iPod)->"Nero Digital Profile" select Standard->Move "Video Quality"slider to 1000kbps or maybe 1250kbps for 640x480->Add Chapters with the chapter button if you like->Click the "Video" button->Leave the De-Interlace tab how it is (unless you're sure it's wrong)->Click the crop tab, it usually does OK if you leave it on automatic->On the resize tab click "Custom Resize" Enter 640 on the width axis, make sure what you enter in the height axis is proportionally correct to what the auto cropping has done ie. 640x480 (4:3) 640x352 (16:9) etc.->Check the "Audio Settings" at the bottom usually the default is fine->Click Next in the botton RH Corner to go to the "Burn Settings Page"->Select a Hard Disc Folder where you want you file to go->Click on "Nero Digital Settings" button and check "Expert Mode" in the Window so you can configure the encoder->Select "Encoding Method" - High Quality Encoding 2-Pass->"Quality/Speed"-Extra Quality->"Advanced" - Check "Simple Profile Quicktime Compatibility"->Click "Burn" and go have a nap or Grocery Shop or sleep or whatever->Import the finished file into iTunes 7 and Sync to iPod->Enjoy
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi GMaq,

Thanks for such a detailed breakdown.
    Now I have to go out and buy an adapter so I can display on a large screen.
    These adapter aren't cheap.
    I created my DVD in DVDlabPro with 4 movies, each linked to an icon on an intro splash page but when I imported in Nero Recode, it broke down into 4 separate movies and I no longer have an interface, is there a way of retain the splash page with the navigation?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Leon 8,
    I don't think it will be possible to keep your Splash page/Menu, There won't be a way to navigate it on the iPod anyway. As far as the adapter cable goes you don't have to spend big bucks, A common workaround is to use the 1/8" A/V Cables that comes with most camcorders, simply use the red cable end on the yellow video input on the TV and the yellow cable end on the Red Audio input on the TV, The white cable end goes on the white Audio input. Make sure your iPod is set for TV Out in it's settings.
    Quote Quote  
  14. GMaq.

Thanks very much for saving me at least a $100.00 CAN.
    The only thing I found is the sound volume is a bit low.
    The quality of the video is very good, a couple of hiccup in the video otherwise, it is excellent.
    I can run around with my ipod as demo vehicle.

Leon8
    Quote Quote  
  15. wow gmaq what a fantastic post may i ask two things

1. how do i decide the best size my source file is 608 * 336.

2. what is the maximum video quality i can set ( i am not worried about the size of the file).

cheers.

josh
    Quote Quote