VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have sort of a dilemma. I bought a Panasonic DMR E-50 dvd recorder about 6 months ago, and I love it. The one thing I don't love about it is the fact that I can't back up my copy written VHS tapes (mostly my older stuff, which is a big reason I bought this thing) So I was doing a little research on the net (apparently not enough) and I saw this product called the "Sima SCC Super Video Clarifier" (http://store.yahoo.com/direct/simsupvhsvid.html) Which was apparently supposed to stop this problem. I got it in the mail today and hooked it up (VCR-->Clarifier-->DVD Recorder-->TV) And popped good old Star Wars into my VCR and hit play, and then record on my DVD recorder... Same message "You are not allowed to copy this material" Needless to say I am a bit disappointed with the results of my new purchase.

Basically what I am wondering is if anyone here has had this same problem, or if anyone here has gotten this item to work for them, or if anyone can suggest anything to me that will definitely work for what I want.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. They did with different thing. It should be couple of posts down in this "DVD Recorders" forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure you bought a Sima SCC? They cost $100.-120.,don't confuse it with the cheaper Sima for $30.-40. DVD standalone recorders use digiyal copy protection in addition to macrovision and even the Sima SCC cannot remove digital copy protection. I didn't think that digital copy protection was used on VHS tapes?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, the "Sima SCC Super Video Clarifier" Is what I purchased and it didn't work.

I did read that other thread that you talked about, donpedro, and It seems to me that the Facet Video Clarifier (http://www.facetvideo.com) is the way to go. If anyone else has any feedback on this device that'd be awesome. I will probably return the Sima I purchased, and pick up one of the Facet ones if I hear good feedback from other people. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here's one that I use, although I didn't pay that much for it -

http://www.cable-descrambler-importers.com/digitaldvdstabilizer.htm

I brought mine back in the 90's for $5 at a discount store. They had hundreds of them! I already had a similar model I got at a local video store for $59, so I just brought one to see if it would work like my more expensive one, and it did. I went back that afternoon...every single one gone! Sold out!

I use mine with my Panasonic E50, no problems what so ever.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never tried the unit "ckdexterhn1" is recommending, so I cannot say if it works or not but I do know of an online store that has a device that looks exactly like the one ckdexterhn1 is talking about. The link is posted below. It also sells for a lot less $17.95. I've purchased from the company that my link below leads to and so far have had no problems with their customer service. If you do order one please post your results here so that other people can benefit from your experience.

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/support/catalog/productDetail.jsp?id=80-4280
    Quote Quote  
  7. I bought this device http://www.facetvideo.com/ because I was not able to back up some of my VHS tapes to DVDR (like Star Wars) on my E50 recorder. It flat out works great so I just leave it in all the time now and never have to worry about macrovision again. It also works going from DVD to the E50.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bob W, That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you very much! I think I'm going to order one just as soon as I get my money back from the Sima. Thanks again!

-Ryan
    Quote Quote  
  9. I got a apex 1500 dvd player that I made macro free easily. Works great with my E30.

Btw, for some odd reason when I made a copy of a commercial dvd from my e30 to vhs it did it just perfectly with no copy box or anything else. The vhs copy did have protection on it. Weird. Maybe these e30s are macro free
    Quote Quote  
  10. I saw E30 "protect" (macrovision or whatever it was) message with my own eyes. So handyguy, no hope it that area
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Save your money and don't puchase a Sima product to bypass macrovision. I have a AVT-8710 TBC that works great on DVD and VHS copy protection Also this small device has video filters that you can use to enhance the video signal. I had several Sima products and none of them bypass the macrovison while using the Pana E50. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ejai
    Save your money and don't puchase a Sima product to bypass macrovision. I have a AVT-8710 TBC that works great on DVD and VHS copy protection Also this small device has video filters that you can use to enhance the video signal. I had several Sima products and none of them bypass the macrovison while using the Pana E50. 8)
    Where can I buy the AVT-8710?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I bought my DMR-E60 for the same reason, to preserve my old VHS tapes. I have had some great results from [url]http://www.sonel.com/[url]. At £20 this is the cheapest solution I have found. This does remove cgms signals as well, I know this because I have a DVD player which has the macrovision disabled but not cgms. Put the start cable in the loop and vola perfect copy.

They really should make it clearler when buying these darn recorders that they will not record commercial VHS, DVDs or even TV signals if it has cgms embeded (or other versions of copy protection).

Hope someone else finds this info usefull.
    Quote Quote  
  14. "I saw E30 "protect" (macrovision or whatever it was) message with my own eyes."

No, I think you got it backwards, Im talking about using your e30 to play a dvd & a vhs machine to record it, in that case you won't get a message from your e30.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by handyguy
    "I saw E30 "protect" (macrovision or whatever it was) message with my own eyes."

No, I think you got it backwards, Im talking about using your e30 to play a dvd & a vhs machine to record it, in that case you won't get a message from your e30.
    Sorry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here goes one place you can buy it from http://www.dvdirect.com/shop/product.asp?sku=AVT5008
    Quote Quote  
  17. I used to use the Sima CopyMaster and like you, I tried making copies of my videos to DVD. However, my Pany E20 and E30 were so sensitive and I ended up searching for anything and everything that could help. I stumbled on the video filter and it has worked like a charm. I am able to do DVD to DVD or VHS to DVD without any problems. One bad thing is that the filter would only work with composite to composite connection and not S-Video.

Here is the link:
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter/

It costs $149 now (used to cost $99) plus shipping, but that is because the guy added a brightness adjuster.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Simply, buy DAYTEK 871 player and you will never have any problem with macrovision. I bought this little nice machine few days ago and I have tested it with my PANASONIC-E60. It works!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by zorankarapancev
    Simply, buy DAYTEK 871 player and you will never have any problem with macrovision. I bought this little nice machine few days ago and I have tested it with my PANASONIC-E60. It works!
    What about VHS tapes ? I guess there is still problem
    Quote Quote  
  20. I also used the video filter which works perfectly for removing copy protection. The filter only works with composite to composite for Panasonic recorders only. Phillips recorders can use the S-video or the composite connection. There is also a special way to connect for component to component. You find the video filter at cotton168 link above. A great little gadget. :D
    Quote Quote