VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I recently purchased a Bose Lifestyle 35 (has a DVD player). Whenever I try to play a HS-2 burned DVD-R disk, it plays for about 1 min and 30 seconds and then the picture freezes. The weird thing is I can then press menu on the remote twice and the DVD-R starts playing again and then freezes again 30 secs later. I have tried several different media and all do the same thing. The DVD-R's do play in my other DVD player, Apex 5131, just fine. Has anyone had any experience with this on the Bose 35 player or any other player?

Unfortunately I don't have (or know anyone that does) a PC burner to burn a DVD-R to test and see if it is definetly HS-2 "burn" related. Has anyone played a DVD-R on a Bose 35 system?

Thanks,
    Tearren
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the bose players are know to be pretty incompatable with a lot of things ...

and bose uses fairly cheap 3rd parties to supply them . often a different brand mech. inside ..
    best bet is to get a seperate player ..

sorry to say this .. but it is a well known fact .. and bose isnt the only one .. many of the now very popular "all in one" Home theatre systems have various problems and some dont let you hook up an external player .. so when the player dies .. the system is useless ..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BJ- Wow, Bose are supplied with cheap 3rd party components?! I didn't know that, guess I thought with the price everything would be top of the line. Must be one heck of a margin they make.

I was really hoping this would be HS-2 burn related. I noticed under the DVD player section some people got DVD-R's to work with the 35. Maybe they changed vendors and the newer (cheaper) drives now won't play DVD-Rs. I know someone said they couldn't play VCD's, but I am able to do so.

Anyways, thanks for the response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes - you might be able to - seems hit or miss .. and many parts of the bose systems are good parts .. don't get me wrong .. just some of the transport mech. are not ... other companies do the same thing ..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Actually its the way panasonic burns the material to dvd as well. i had quite a number of players where the main poster's problem has occured, yet if i take the same material and burned it in my pc dvd drive (ripped from the panasonic made dvd), it plays fine on all of the players it had a problem with

So do not entirely blame the dvd player, the panasonic uses some kind of method that is not fully compatable with many players--
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Mazinz!

Actually I have been considering buying a DVD-R burner. What kind of burner are you using that you have had success with?

Thanks,
    Tearren
    Quote Quote  
  7. i have the pioneer dvr-rw 104 burner, mine came with a custom built systme i put together at bestbuy so the firmware upgrades do not work with it, however (knock on wood) i never have had any problems with any media or anything else at all
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've had mixed results with my Bose 3-2-1 and HS2 recorded DVD-Rs. Initially I never had a problem with it (I tested a few DVDs when i first got the recorder and they played fine) but recently I tried to dub back a DVD to the unit and it crapped out part way through one of the tracks.

I have yet to have any problems with Apple recorded DVD-Rs in the Bose. It's one of those sketchy lines between compatibility and incompatibility on both Bose and Panasonic's parts.

That said, Bose are releasing regular firmware updates for the 3-2-1 (and the Lifestyle 35) to improve support for different formats (VCD, improved DVD+/-R support). I'm subscribed to a bose321 yahoogroup that keep tabs on all of the firmwares - they seem to spend all their time talking about the lifestyle systems, so they can't be all that different (except in price

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Steve - I found the yahoo newsgroup you were referring to and checked it out. It looks pretty good. Thanks.

Just as an update, I bought some APPLE DVD-R's and burned them on the HS2. I tried to play it in the LS 35 DVD player and the same thing occured, where it would start freezing.

I believe the LS 35 should play DVD-R's though. I noticed when I insert a pressed DVD, the player displays "DVD"; when I insert a VCD, the player displays "VCD"; and when I insert a burned DVD I made from the HS2 the player displays "DVD Recorder". So the player reconginzes the media as DVD-R, it just doesn't seem to play the HS2 burned media correctly.

Does no one else have a Bose LF 35 and an HS2 and can confirm HS2 burned DVD-R's do not play in the Bose LF35?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just got a reply from Bose to virtually the same question I posted. Here it is...

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The Lifestyle 35 system is not designed or sold to be used with a number of disc types and formats. The most common of these are VCD, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW. The complexity and uncertainty of these technologies makes it difficult to predict whether these will play consistently in your system. Although the system may be able to play some of these types and formats, we do not promise that it will play them in all cases.

There are no plans to release software updates that will change the ability
    of the system to play these.

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.
    Justin
    Customer Support Team
    -------------------------------------------------
    Bose Corporation
    US Telephone: (800)367-4008
    Customer Support Team
    International Tel: (508)766-1900
    Email: www.bose.com
    Fax: (508)766-1919
    Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-8:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-3:00PM (EST)
    Walk-In Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00AM-5:00PM
    -------------------------------------------------

Looks like BJ summed it up pretty well..."Hit or miss".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The complexity and uncertainty of these technologies......

funny how $70 players seem to work though ... kinda a lame answer really , but at least they admit the truth about thier product instead of blaming the customeer as is the usual practise
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi,

first please excuse my English - I am from Germany but I think I can help some people with their Panasonic - Bose Problems.

In my opinion the negative postings about the Bose-Products may be a little bit too frustrated and it is not fair against Bose.
    It is a fact that Panasonic DVD-Recorders uses not exactly the Standards for DVD-Roms - about 25% of all DVD-Players have problems with the DVD-Rs

However, Bose has worked on that problem to support useres so that they will be able to play the Panasonic-Recorded DVD-Rīs.

I have had the same problems with my DVD-Rs (Playtime about 30-90 Sec and freezing the screen).

Right now the Bose 321 plays every own DVD-Rī which I have recorded with the Panasonic DMR-E20 as well as recorded DVDs from the HS-2.
    Also up to now every other DVD-R or DVD+R has been played well.

Why? All this is only working with the newest Software Update from Bose (Ver. 01.03.08), issue date 2003. This DVD has a BLACK Label with Headline Update Version 01.03.08 Bose 2003. Please note that the Updates you got usually from the dealer are NOT working with the DVD-Rs recorded from Panasonic. The dealers update DVD has a SILVER label and an issue date of December 2002.

I got the black Update DVD from the German Bose Headwuarters after I had discussed my problems about the Panasonic Recordings.The problem was well known and after 1 day I got the Software patch which fixed all my problems.

Hoping this helps a bit
    Greetings across the Atlantic

Klaus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the info ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -klaushinr

Greetings to you and Welcome.

First I would like to thank you for your post. I would like to say I am not bashing Bose, infact I am enjoying my Bose system. However, I am very furstrated my Panasonic DMR-HS2 burned DVD-R's don't play in my Bose Lifestyle 35 system. I don't think my frustration is "little bit too frustrated " either. I don't beleive it is too much to ask for a $3000 system to play somthing a $50 DVD player can. Especially when a sales brochure advertised it would do so. Though looking through other posts, I did notice you are using a "Standardized" reply to threads about Bose products, so I will leave it there.

Also, my experience in dealing with Bose customer service is more or less like trying to play DVD-R's in my Bose player, ..."Hit or miss". It wasn't until I found documentation to say my Bose player was supposed to play DVD-R media, and asked to speak with a superior, and had to threaten to write a letter to the VP or Director of Customer Service that someone actually stopped giving me their standard reply of "Lifestyle 35 system is not designed or sold to be used with a number of disc types and formats" and tried to help me.

So, I was sent a Firmware update rev.01.03.05 and updated my system. Needless to say my Bose Lifestyle 35 still DOES NOT play Panasonic DMR-HS2 burned media correctly. Instead of the picture freezing after 30 secs, it now freezes after 3 mins. Though it does take more time for the picture to freeze, I don't consider this much of an improvement.

While the DMR-HS2 DVD-R's do not play correctly, I am at least thankful that PC authored DVD-R's do play correctly.

Tearren
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This problem has been sited in many threads throughout the web. I find it strange that Panasonic hasn't developed some type of firmware upgrade to remedy the problem. I guess another big company that wants money but cares very little about consumer satisfaction.

Most people like myself were under the illusion that we were creating fully compatible dvd disks only to find out that Panasonic is in a world all to itself. Even though I have a work around I still would prefer that the disks I create with the Panasonic work on standard dvd players with no need for outside authoring.

Bose did it's job, it adhered to the dvd standard, Panasonic didn't!

Quote Quote  
  16. To Tearren,

first of all I use no standard answers - I just have posted the same of my own created answer in the fact to help some people. I promise that I have reaaly NOTHING to do with Bose.

Please read my posting again - your SW 1.03.05 will NOT BE able to play DVD-Rīs. The current SW which is (here in Germany) 1.03.08 and with this SW the Bose (I have the 321) is definietly able to play all the DVD-Rs which are recorded from HS-2 or DMR-E20/E30 from Panasonic.
    Believe me and get the new SW and try it out.
    Bye
    Klaus

By the way: The Manuals and the Brochures of Bose for the 321-System never say that DVD-R are aupported. However, now it runs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi Ejaj,

in my opinion you are absolutely right. Bose has done their job and Panasonic not.
    I would by a bose again but not really a Panasonic DVD Recorder. I`m absolutely happy with the Bose and the Panasonic but if they do not work together it is not very nice.
    Few days before I was just before to selling the Panasonic at ebay but -thanks Bose- the Update DVD comes in time so at this point everything works well and in my opinion Bose has fixed a problem Panasonic should do.
    Bye
    Klaus
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -klaushinr

Please believe me, when I commented on your same reply to several different posts, I meant nothing negative. I recognize you where trying to help and I am very appreciative of your post.

When I was sent the Firmware update (rev.01.03.05), I was assured it was the most current release. Maybe I got the wrong one or the one you mentioned is not released yet in the US or its not for the Lifestyle 35. Who knows? I will check with Bose again.

About the brochures and manual for the Bose 321, I believe you. I admit I have never seen either one. But the sales brochure I saw did in fact mention the Bose Lifestyle 35 and also the support of DVD-R.

Below is an older link to it:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:zveYKMtRVPMJ:mirror.bose.com/home_audio/pdf/pr_da...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

If you will go to page 2 and scroll all the way to the right you will see
    DVD-R.

Here is the direct quote..."The media center looks like a modern sculpture and is loaded with convenient features. Built-in DVD/CD player. AM/FM.Also plays DVD-R, CD-RW and MP3 CDs."

Kind Regards,
    Tearren
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi,

>>>When I was sent the Firmware update (rev.01.03.05), I was assured it was the most current release. Maybe I got the wrong one or the one you mentioned is not released yet in the US or its not for the Lifestyle 35. Who knows? I will check with Bose again.

Maybe that there are differnet SW-Patches for the different systems - maybe it was my fault. But in fact of nearly the same ver.nr. i think it can be the same Software, And the other way is that I believe that if Bose has fixed the problem for one model they should have fixed it for the others also.
    I donīt believe that you have other SW-Releases in the States than here in Germany. The DVD I have got from Bose Germany is an English labeled Software with the copyright of Bose USA and Iīm absolutely sure that Bose Germany donīt create any own Software patches.

Would be nice to see if any 321 owners will have the same fortune with the SW-Version I have. Sure, I can post the DVD if the files are not so big - I must visit a friend of mine who has a DVD-Writer but where can I post the files - i donīt find a button in this forum like Software Uploads etc - you know Iīm just a German Novice...
    Bye
    Klaus
    Quote Quote