VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TY is very poplular here, but want to ask: I've also heard over years that Verbatim is outstanding, especially the data life plus. Anyone can speak to this? if one brand is more reliable than other?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim discs are manufactured by many different manufacturers, such as MCC or CMC..

Taiyo Yuden is actually a manufacturer, they release under their own name and also sell discs to other companies.

So in response to your question, I would suggest TY discs over Verbatim discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been fortunate to get several batches of Verbatim disks that were MCC, and they were quite good. I've never run into CMC-made Verbatims (fortunately, as I'm sure would have been coasters).

TY disks have a very good reputation - probably the best, all things considered.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, good info. so weather its mcc or cmc, the TY, can match or better either? even the Data Life Plus (which is considered top flight)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've never seen a Verbatim that was anything other than MCC. I think Verbatim is an MCC company.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any reason to go with Verbatim over TY or vica versa. price?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that lately TY is slightly less than Verbatim in bulk. I'd stick to vendors that are selling genuine TY media, as there's been alot of fake media for sale with TY media codes.

Typically supermediastore, rima and others have TY. The most noticeable about the bulk is that it's sold in a tape wrapped pack - not on a spindle.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Supposedly, MCC Verbatim is made by CMC, using Verbatim-supplied stampers, dye, and top plates. MKK and MKM-coded Verbatim is not. The key difference being that Verbatim uses Azo-Cyanine dye while el-cheapo CMC does not.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    crayon:
    how know getting good verbatim?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With Firestarter, a Mac app for CDs, it says the CD'r Verbatims just got are from CMC Magnetics Corporation -- which according to one website is low quality place
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, sorry for not replying earlier. I think all MCC and MKM is good stuff. CMC is a contract manufacturer besides making their own stuff. Since Verbatim really supplies all the basic stuff - the masters, the dye, etc. - it's mostly a matter of using CMC's facilities.

I am less certain about CDs. I only know that the "Made in Japan" rule applies even more so to CDs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started using these Verbatim's. They have MCC code plus you can't scratch them under normal usage. Of course they cost more, but worth it considering how easily most other discs will scratch.

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok Crayon, going to go with what you say and be ok with Verbatims CD's being CMC.

Now my Verbatims Data LIfe Plus DVDs are MCC, great, considered for archival photo use, and they say made in Taiwan on the spindal. So I don't know you really need the made in Japan right?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Also you can always scan a few and see what your writer likes best. (higher quality scan score)
    I only use TY's but because with the right firmware (sometimes older firmware) I get great results from my main 3 writers.
    But as always, I'm open to either.
    The non-scratch look good from Verbatim. Just thinking they are probably really high priced compared to Premium line TY G02 8X @ $26.50 per hundred.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NiteLite Where can you get Premium line TY G02 8X @ $26.50 per hundred. I'm interested. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by mn072065
    NiteLite Where can you get Premium line TY G02 8X @ $26.50 per hundred. I'm interested. Thanks
    Hi mn07065.
    I buy all mine from Rima.com online.
    I ususall buy a box which is 300 discs (6 cake boxes of 50 )
    This is a 200 or more price. I think if you only buy 100 it's $27.00. which still isnt bad for trusted Prem line. And I do mean trusted. I've never got a bad batch from Rima, shipped good, and if you buy the 300 pack it comes in the package (box) straight from Japan or at least their package as the box which has in large letters "MADE IN JAPAN' on the sides.

Ok now the "to be fair" part. Shipping>
    Depending on where you live you can get different rates as it appears they go strickly by UPS weight rates...which I consider fair. And a friend told me if you live in states near California it's really cheap.
    From coast to coast (as they are in CA.) I think it comes out to about $3.50 per hundred.
    I did catch a free shipping sometime back and stocked up and with rising fuel costs I'm cant be sure what their rate is now but I'm sure it's fair...considering.
    I dont mind paying shipping when the price is not jacked up like some of the well known super stores often mentioned here do and they pretend they offer free shipping. Total BS!!!. They've alreaded added the shipping into the retail cost of the product. A blind man could see through that old trick.
    I'd rather pay a little shipping and buy from honest and well respected companies like Rima than these BS stores. Screw them and their inflated before shipping costs.
    I've seen Rima cheaper with the shipping added than these stores with the (so-called) free shipping.
    Sorry off to a little rant there but I've noticed it geting worse lately...maybe the hoilday season.
    Anyway, I find a trusted place and stick with it. And I dont think you'll find a more trusted store than Rima.
    That's just mine and several thousand other opinions.
    Good luck, friend.
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention I buy the inkjet printables. That's why I was so excited on the $ amount, but forgot that I always buy the ink jet printable. But i do agree on Rima. I used to buy from them but found for my opinion that Shop4Tech has cheaper printable dvd-r's. I have buying from them latelty and NEVER any problems. So far. But thanks for the response.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Not a problem.
    I dont mind sharing info.
    I buy also a few things from S4T.
    I like the 10% off coupons they always offer. (XMAS10) might be the current one.
    Regards,NL
    Quote Quote