VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to record from standard VHF/UHF antenna and VHS tapes. In the end, I want an mpeg file which I can edit with Womble MVW on my PC. I am trying to decide if I should buy a Replay/Tivo DVR or buy a DVD recorder. If I buy a Replay (or Tivo), I would use the ethernet connection to transfer to my computer. If I buy a DVD recorder, I would physically carry the DVD from the recorder to my PC. I also know you can get DVD recorders with hard disks, but that seems like too much money for me.

I already have an old Replay (Showstopper) but I have two problems with it: the recordings seem grainy to me (even on highest quality setting) and it does not have an ethernet connection (because it is an older model). Does anyone have any experience with comparing picture quality of a hard disk recorder vs a DVD recorder? I know that technically, the differences really have to do with the MPEG compression algorithms, but maybe practically, one is better than the other.

One other consideration: what about Macrovision copy protection of VHS tapes? Is one better than the other?
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would go with the DVD Recorder, That's what I use and love it. With Tivo and replay you have to deal with the files and extracting them from their orginal format, then author the DVD. With the DVD Recorder all you have to do is copy edit and burn. Just my 2 cents.
    There is nothing illegal, until you get caught!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why don't you get a dvd recorder WITH Tivo?

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Why don't you get a dvd recorder WITH Tivo?
    I am considering this, but it costs more and I am not sure if it is worth it.

Thanks RMaddog. I agree that the DVD recorder might be a little simpler, but wasn't sure about video quality. Anyone else want to chime in on the advantages disadvantages?
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can also get a dvd recorder with a HD & Guide Plus, which is like Tivo. Those are under $400, the new panasonics that is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I also use a DVD Recorder and then I edit (cut commercials and/or beginning/end of the recording) the mpeg2 files and author on my computer. It's a lot faster than capturing and encoding files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My DVD recorder (pioneer 420) has better quality than my Tivo for digital satellite. I don't know if you would notice the difference on your sources. The DVD recorder is much better for creating DVDs. But I wouldn't want to give up the Tivo for regular tv viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cd090580
    I also use a DVD Recorder and then I edit (cut commercials and/or beginning/end of the recording) the mpeg2 files and author on my computer. It's a lot faster than capturing and encoding files.
    cd090580,

So do you use the DVD Recorder to do your edits or some software on your computer?
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just a dvdrecorder will not help with commercial tapes with Macrovision . You will need a separate Macrovision remover. I use a Canopus AVDC 100 box to convert the tapes to DV and pass them on to the computer or recorder. A separate tbc may also work if placed between the recorder and the vcr. While some recorders may say they have a tbc on board, it won't solve your Macrovision problem. Nyah Levi
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by nelson133
    Just a dvdrecorder will not help with commercial tapes with Macrovision . You will need a separate Macrovision remover. I use a Canopus AVDC 100 box to convert the tapes to DV and pass them on to the computer or recorder. A separate tbc may also work if placed between the recorder and the vcr. While some recorders may say they have a tbc on board, it won't solve your Macrovision problem. Nyah Levi
    The Canopus doesn't remove Macrovision and therefore would not be useful with a recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a dvdrecorder will not help with commercial tapes with Macrovision
    FALSE !!!

Both Liteon and iLO record MV tapes & dvd's, after hacked firmware is installed
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you plan to record satellite channels and are in the UK please read this first:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269029

TB
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by TwoBells
    If you plan to record satellite channels and are in the UK please read this first:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269029

TB
    And THIS POST by the same poster on the same day.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can get a video stabilizer, to remove Macrovision, cheaply here:

http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer.html

Use A Video recorder
    Quote Quote  
  15. "You can get a video stabilizer, to remove Macrovision, cheaply here:
    http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer.html"

This particular unit works with some, but not all types of copyrighted video sources, which would require a full-frame TBC. -tac7
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tac7
    This particular unit works with some, but not all types of copyrighted video sources, which would require a full-frame TBC. -tac7
    Do you have a suggestion for a full-frame TBC?
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TIVO files are voodoo. Forget that complex mess. Get a DVD recorder, JVC is best. Pioneer and LiteOn/ILO come in second.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all. I just bought a Pioneer DVR-225 from BestBuy. It was their floor model so I got a good deal ($129, included remote, batteries, manual, cables, sample media, but limited warrany). I figured that for that price, I couldn't go wrong. Once again, I really appreciate all your help!
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Zakman,

LordSmurf's answer is 100% correct. Short, sweet and to the point.

But, for your sake and others - you should know that the format of the Tivo files is essentially proprietary and not easily transferred to dvd by and of themselves.

The current methods for collecting tivo files from a Series 2 Tivo machine into a PC requires the use of a free software tool called TyTool. But you have to be fairly knowledgeable of the terms and computerese to work through the process. (I'm not there yet, myself.)

There is a commercial answer if you don't go with the one above - but I don't like it at all (now).
    Once you have a Series 2 Tivo and hook it up, you have to request the Tivo to Go upgrade. After that, the only current software on the market at this time to take these files, edit them and burn to dvd is a product called MyDVD 6.1 by Sonic. Short answer? It takes forever. I have come to the conclusion this isn't what I want. For a 2 hr movie, it took around 3 to 4 hours to transfer a copy from Tivo to my PC, 30 minutes to import into MyDVD, 15 to 30 minutes to edit, 2 to 4 hours to compile and burn the finished product.

I am not impressed with that setup. Although I have come to love the Tivo very much, I think more can be done to make things better for us - not more difficult.

Hopefully there will be a better solution in the (near?) future.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I transfer files from my TIVO series 2 unit to my PC and to DVD all the time ... no problem ... the trick is that my TIVO unit includes a DVD-R(W) drive. I record a program to the harddrive and then write it to a DVD-RW. I then rip the program from the DVD-RW to my PC harddrive, use TMPGEnc DVDAuthor to cut out commericals, put in menus and I reauthor. I then burn with Nero and now I've got the recorded program, commerical free and on DVD.
    Quote Quote