VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm sick of the plethera of problems with converting VHS to DVD using my computer. I've used a wide variety of capturing options and tons of authoring and editing programs and each combination produced a different problem. Apart from that, I don't want to tie my computer up that much anymore.

I recently purchased an Emerson DVD/VCR Recorder set top and it was a total piece of crap. I ended up returning it. I beleive I read on this forum somewhere to stay away from combo units and just use my VCR as an external input. Can anyone else verify this? If so, do you have any suggestions for what I should get myself for Christmas. Brands, models, combo or not.

My main goal is to tranfer VHS to DVD+RW and then do some light editing and copy to DVD-R or DVD+R. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all of you who make this site so great!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We share your pain, brother! Check out the Pioneer DVR-520H-S (with a hard drive) or the the DVR-320-s (without a hard drive). Also, you might want to look into the JVC models. Unfortunately (for you), they are all DVD-R machines. However, you can rip the discs to your hard drive and re-author/re-write them as you see fit.

Most definately, use a seperate VHS playback machine - not a combo unit, for several reasons. 1.) If it breaks, you'll have to send the whole unit to the shop (or replace it entirely.) Whereas you might only have to repair (or replace) one machine if they are seperate componets. 2.) The combo units I've seen have fewer features than two seperate (high end) machines. 3.) If you decide to add an Enhancer, Proc Amp, or a Time Base Corrector (DataVideo TBC-1000 for example), you'll have to have seperate componets.

Time Base Correctors clean up the sync signal to produce better copies, generally speaking. (Some tapes seem to do better without a TBC.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Epicurus8a
    We share your pain, brother! Check out the Pioneer DVR-520H-S (with a hard drive) or the the DVR-320-s (without a hard drive). Also, you might want to look into the JVC models. Unfortunately (for you), they are all DVD-R machines. However, you can rip the discs to your hard drive and re-author/re-write them as you see fit.

Most definately, use a seperate VHS playback machine - not a combo unit, for several reasons. 1.) If it breaks, you'll have to send the whole unit to the shop (or replace it entirely.) Whereas you might only have to send (or replace) one machine in if they are seperate componets. 2.) The combo units I've seen have fewer features than two seperate (high end) machines. 3.) If you decide to add a Time Base Corrector (DataVideo TBC-1000 for example), you'll have to have seperate componets. A Time Base Corrector cleans up the sync signal to produce better copies, generally speaking. (Some tapes seem to do better without a TBC.)
    Thank you very much for the info. I am taking your advice and getting the Pioneer DVR-320-S. I have read plenty of reviews seems like a very solid unit. If I could find an actual store (rather than a web outlet) that has one I will get it tomorrow. I will hold off on the TBC for now. The fact that they don't write +RW is no big deal at all.

Thanks again.
    The frontiers of our mind are the last place we find, but maybe the first place we should look.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have virtually quit capturing to the computer since I discovered how much faster, easier... and most of all... how much better the transfer quality can be using a DVD recorder. Especially if your video sources are in good shape and of decent image quality. There are several time based encoding options with a DVD recorder, and the audio is AC3 right from the start, too.

I started with a Panasonic unit, but eventually replaced it with a JVC DR-M10. I capture (record) to DVD-RW's in standard DVD-Video format, then do simple editing on my computer with Womble MPEG Video Wizard. It is a frame accurate editor that saves the trimmed file as a new .mpg without re-encoding the video or audio (as long as the edits are simple cutting and joining). I author a new DVD from the edited .mpg and burn to a final DVD-R. I can then re-use the DVD-RW for another recording.

For VHS capture, I would strongly suggest you invest in a top quality VCR... a high-end consumer S-VHS unit like the JVC HR-S9600U, the 9800, 9900, 9911, or the 7600. Some folks swear by the Panasonic AG-1970 or 1980, but my experience is the JVC decks have a better picture overall. These units all have built-in video noise reduction, Y/C filtering, edge enhancement, and mild time base correction circuits that do a great job of cleaning up VHS. Plus, the build quality on these machines is very good... the tape transports and heads are superior to standard, inexpensive VCR's. It really makes a big difference in the quality of your capture.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is my broken record message about buying Pioneer products on line: Be sure it is an authorized Pioneer retailer (you can check at pioneerelectronics.com) or there will be no Pioneer warranty. If you buy from a non-authorized vendor the only warranty is what that vendor offers for itself.

I bought my Pioneer from an authorized reseller and it needed replacement. Whew!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sounds like a cheesy excuse for Pioneer to weasle out of fixing defective products, bogus.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Sounds like a cheesy excuse for Pioneer to weasle out of fixing defective products, bogus.
    I doubt if that's the motivation. I don't know what an authorized Pioneer reseller must agree to, but this is an incentive to encourage them to agree.
    Quote Quote