VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What do you find a very annoying filming mistake?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    What do you find a very annoying filming mistake?
    Last edited by newpball; 28th May 2015 at 09:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The scene in too many films where somebody says. "here's the plan....psst...psst...psst" so you don't know what's going to happen. It's anti-dramatic, pushing the audience away rather than drawing them in.

Letting us in on the plan, then watching it succeed or fail is almost always more interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tinkly-winkly piano music used to whack you over the head to let you know that this is a tearful/hopeful/fulfilling/vomit inducing turning point in the plot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Choosing a poor script.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Using hand-held shooting for long periods of time (sometimes the entire movie). A hand-held camera can be very powerful in certain scenes, but using it all the time, renders the film almost unwatchable, IMHO.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Falsify history in order to sell a hidden agenda

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Using hand-held shooting for long periods of time (sometimes the entire movie). A hand-held camera can be very powerful in certain scenes, but using it all the time, renders the film almost unwatchable, IMHO.
    I 100% agree!

Quote Quote  
  8. Dark scenes, sometimes the whole movie if filmed in the dark. Stupid.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  9. So itīs "If I donīt like it, itīs a mistake"... Except the for the "Bad sound recording" all options are all about personal taste and therefore completly subjective. One manīs mistake is another manīs genius and art. A better title for this poll should be something like "what kind of movies annoy you?"...and wait until the "How can I take nudity out of my DVDs" crowd arrives...theyīll say the biggest mistake is to show bare tits and buttocks...
    Last edited by julitomg; 28th May 2015 at 21:16.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Sound is frequently an afterthought. Subjects are way off-mic, obnoxious environmental noise covers them up, levels are distorted and overly compressed. I really hate it when a nice visual is destroyed by amateur voiceover.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Camera / sound crew is visible in a reflection of some object. Totally ruins the mood. I guess that's first a filming mistake, but also an editing mistake

Bad "continous take" - Some directors want to do a long ambitious "continuous take", but it ends up not so smooth , with bumps and clearly bad camera work and you can't edit it out - or you ruin the "continous" aspect. And it's too expensive to reshoot it a few dozen times.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a "good' script we can look the other way. But seriously for me the most recent "bongle' is this. "Everything Must Go" Starring Will Ferrel. Towards the end of the movie you totally see the cameraman in the bathroom. I seriously was like, wtf?"

Sorry I don't have a link. But if people have seen it. I know that they will agree. And I know that (2010) isn't actually even close to being new.
    This film is presented in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The black bars at top and bottom are normal. (it's you that isn't normal)
    Quote Quote  
  13. While technically I suppose it's not a filming mistake, computer generated 3D mostly looks bad and should be on the list.
    Quote Quote