VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i want to compress all the music cds they just collect dust now using dbpoweramp and store them on a 128gb sd card as i have not used any of my music cds in like 4years or so

i worked out if each song was 5mins i could fit something like 16,000 on it at 180kbps since most songs are under 5mins it will fit a lot more

also for me i can't really even notice much of a diffrence compressing cds to Opus 2pass at 180kbps then if i was listening to the cd

is Opus the best or is there something even better?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since you can't hear the difference the issue isn't which audio codec is best. It's what format is compatible with all the devices you might want to use for playback.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    No. You're wrong.
    There's not a best compression at all.

Lossless is the only way (at least with audio.. ) if you want to preserve information and QUALITY, I mean.

But most people love youtube quality ( = totally SHIT)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Lossless stereo (ex: Flac) can't be achieved at 180kbps and most people can't hear the difference with opus or aac.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You might want to rethink that. You say you cannot tell the difference between lots of compressed stuff vs uncompressed, and that may be true. It might only be true right now, at 1st glance, however. And when you start listening to a LOT of stuff, you might start being able to discern more and more the detriment that compressed files are doing to the music.

I've started going back through my large collection and am re-ripping to LPCM WAV or to lossless codecs (FLAC, ALAC...) because it is becoming more and more obvious how lossy compression is wearing on the listener. The LPCM/lossless stuff has more "life", better definition, and is less grating and is more silky & scintilating, especially in the high end. When can you say that about lossy-compressed stuff?

Remember, overall, space is cheap!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For reference:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401491-best-mp3-encoder#post2616871

He already says he can't hear the difference. When he says "something better by now" what does he mean?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's only true if you have really good audio equipment,can you tell me that you can hear the different on a 320mbps mp3 compared to a flac version if the original cd was done to both?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    a 320mbps mp3
    The mp3 encoder has been enhanced somewhat
    Quote Quote  
  9. to preserve the original quality → FLAC
    to compress [losing quality] → OPUS [192kbps] is equal to or better than MP3 [320kbps]

only compares the spectrum analysis with SPEK opus reaches up to 20khz the same as mp3, only opus needs less bitrate.
    [Attachment 60037 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Best free lossy ? - probably yes.

Originally Posted by KNON View Post
    to preserve the original quality → FLAC
    to compress [losing quality] → OPUS [192kbps] is equal to or better than MP3 [320kbps]

only compares the spectrum analysis with SPEK opus reaches up to 20khz the same as mp3, only opus needs less bitrate.
    Why are you comparing two different cases? 48000 vs 44100Hz sample rates? side to this occasional peaks above 20kHz may be a symptom for a hard clipped audio (levels above 0dBFS)...

For fair comparison use some source with spectrum above 24kHz and provide as reference (for example 192kHz resampled to 48kHz).
    Last edited by pandy; 26th Jul 2021 at 15:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hell if you are over forty you can't hear anything of 15khtz anyway.... may as well stick with something like vbr mp3 to make the smallest files.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Best free lossy ? - probably yes.

Originally Posted by KNON View Post
    to preserve the original quality → FLAC

Why are you comparing two different cases? 48000 vs 44100Hz sample rates? side to this occasional peaks above 20kHz may be a symptom for a hard clipped audio (levels above 0dBFS)...

For fair comparison use some source with spectrum above 24kHz and provide as reference (for example 192kHz resampled to 48kHz).
    thanks
    Quote Quote