VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I replaced an old LiteOn DVD/Blu-Ray burner with a newer LG WH16NS40 because the LiteOn was failing to complete writes. However, the new burner is doing the exact same thing, finishing anywhere from 30-90 percent before failing. I've swapped SATA ports, cables, changed write speeds, updated the drive firmware, did a reinstall of ImgBurn, but nothing fixes the problem.

I also have a LiteOn DVD burner installed that burns perfectly.

Being at the end of my rope, I found a suggestion to try burning in "Safe Mode," so once I figured out how to get to Safe Mode in Windows 8 I was able to successfully complete DVD burns using the same assortment of media that had previously failed when running Windows "normally."

So now I'm stumped and have no idea why Safe Mode worked and normal Windows mode did not, yet the LiteOn DVD burner works fine in normal Windows mode.

I'm open to suggestions that might help solve this problem.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgburn error3.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	30796  

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What media are you using to burn with?Sounds like it could be the problem with the discs them self.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Have you tried connecting the LiteOn drive to any of the ports that the other drives are failing on?

Since it works in safe mode, one or more of your startup services/programs may be interfering. The usual advice is to run MSCONFIG to disable all your startup items, then add them back, one by one, until the problem reappears. The last item enabled will be the culprit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What media are you using to burn with?Sounds like it could be the problem with the discs them self.
    Strictly Verbatim DVD and Blu-Ray media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Have you tried connecting the LiteOn drive to any of the ports that the other drives are failing on?

Since it works in safe mode, one or more of your startup services/programs may be interfering. The usual advice is to run MSCONFIG to disable all your startup items, then add them back, one by one, until the problem reappears. The last item enabled will be the culprit.
    Sounds like this should be the next step.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To close this thread, the solution was to disable the majority of the start-up programs. I admit I used the "shotgun" approach, but the programs seemed to be things I didn't use or need. Now both DVD and Blu-Ray burning is successful.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote