VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just bought a Sima CT2 to remove copy protection from DVD inputs to my Panasonic DMR-E30. Works great. No problems with any outputs from various discs, even from Disney.

I have a generic black box that removed the protection, but it had only rca input/output. The Sima has both RCA and svideo in and out. Svideo preserves the video resolution of the DVD much better than RCA.

Easy to use and not as expensive as other solutions with svideo -- such as time base correctors.

Bestbuy has em for $130. I searched around on Froogle, Beachaudio sold one to me for $87 shipped. YMMV

jb
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sima Video copy master is good. But only for DVD to PC VHS to VHS. Not good for DVD to VHS or VHS to DVD recorder. The other box they sell that's is a metal black case is junk I had three of them kept getting white's bar's going up and down the screen.

These people make a better product www.facetvideo.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Umm, you didn't read my post. This is the Sima CT-2 -- not the Copymaster. I have successfully copied multiple DVD's from a unmodded DVD player to my Panasonic E30 recorder.

This unit works and you can get it from a major retailer like Bestbuy, Amazon or Buy.com.

I would venture to say this works as well as any other copy defeat box out there and will, again, allow DVD to DVD copies. If it makes DVD to DVD copies I can safely say it wont have problems with VHS copies (though Sima makes the $50 CT-1 for that).

(The box is a nice, deck of cards sized, silver box).

jb
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Historically SIMA devices (and others like facetvideo for that matter) are not 100% perfect. For that, you'll need a real TBC.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cheapest tbc-1000 on Ebay currently $200 . Arghhh
    What do they really cost ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    .... Not good for DVD to VHS or VHS to DVD recorder. ....
    I have this toy and I can confirm everything jbarm said. Sima CT2 does its job very well as CGMS/MV remover (at least in my experience with). The only one problem/disadvantage that I noticed is when I used S-Video mode the outputted video is lighter than original. I was trying to play with different available modes (Normal->Enhanced->Darker and so on), but it did not change anything. The only solution that helped normalize brightness was set “Input Level” on my DVD recorder’s Black Level Control to “Darker”. That worked very well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. "Neuron" Then you have a new box. The old one they made are junk. The one I had was almost like this one.

http://www.simacorp.com/products/item.ep.html?session=a56d3e271788559253e52eee99ff2d91&id=478

Glad your's work's good. When I sent mine back for repair's I told them I was backing up LaserDisc and was geeting white bar's coming down. The dum ass said movie have copy protection called macrovision. I said LaserDisc do not have macrovision.

I have another old Sima box the "Video Copy Master" That old then the box that gave me problem's and I had three of those. The "Video Copy Master" has never given me one problem to this day. I would say if you are not having problem with the first week or two. You will not have problem's. I think there old box might have had a heat problem. or some thing.

One other thing with your Sima box are you keep the Closed caption subtitle's. My old sima and www.facetvideo.com both remove the Closed caption subtitle's.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have tried the Sima Copymaster and the Sima SCC. Neither unit removed the false sync MV pulses in the vertical blanking interval (which sucker the VCR into making the screen look darker) and neither got rid of the pulses on video line 21 that prevent copying from a DVD.

Both boxes got rid of the white pulses that vary in amplitude and make the screen go back and forth from dark to light.

The false sync MV pulses have been around since 1987 or earlier. It's hard to believe that the engineers at Sima would not know enough to get rid of these pulses too. Maybe there are some legal reasons why they don't design it to get rid of everything.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    "Neuron" Then you have a new box. The old one they made are junk. The one I had was almost like this one.

http://www.simacorp.com/products/item.ep.html?session=a56d3e271788559253e52eee99ff2d91&id=478
    OK. I see what you got. I got SIMA CT-2 "GoDVD!" Digital Video Enhancer / Duplicator.
    Quote Quote  
  10. "Neuron" can you see if your box after capturing keep the closed caption subtitle's.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Actually, there is more than one level of macrovision, so that's why some boxes only do some films.

Best way is just to make your source macrovision free. So use a macrovision free dvd player (there are alot, e.g. apex 1500) or a macro freee vhs deck. You can buy them cheaper than what a box would cost you & they aren't affected by any type of macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  12. "handyguy" you are right what you are say but some of us have high end VCR's that have noise reduction that why some of use need the box to remove that macrovision. My Panasonic VCR look's like a satellite dish. Many of those old VCR's. That do not have macrovision are mono.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Anyone know if the Sonet Macro Master works well? Or (and this is a long shot..) does anyone know how to disable macro on a Pioneer 535? There was apparently a hack in the hack section but it's no longer there..

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to use a CT-2 with my Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray player going out via yellow composite cable to my Pioneer DVR-650H HDD/DVD burner. I seem to recall attempting this a few years back and not being able to see the video. I realise that the picture quality will go "down" this way but I am trying to get "Run Lola Run" with English dubs for a friend who can only see out of one eye and subtitles aren't really a good option for her.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    9 years and 2 months !!!!. Is that a record ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    9 years and 2 months !!!!. Is that a record ?
    It might be a record for dumbassery by a person who's been a member longer than 2 years as it's almost always new members making a first post who do this and elling should know better. Sadly, it's not a record for the longest time between posts in a thread. I remember seeing 2 threads in the past year that got dug up and added to that were over 10 years old.

Thanks, elling. Thanks a lot. Nothing in your post in any way adds in a useful way to this ancient thread, so thank you SO MUCH for taking the trouble to dig it up from the grave and add to it. Not.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I fail to see your problem with my posting a question in this old thread. The OP seemed to have written a review of the CT-2 and others responded with suggestions and clarifications. In a "perfect world" would you rather have me post a new topic when this one seems to be appropriate? And thanks so much for providing any useful information to my question but I see that you were too busy nitpicking and bitching about a non-issue.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @ jman98 Why bother replying if it's upset you so much? Report the post if you don't like older threads being brought back to life.
    I'm sure the moderator(s) are quite capable of taking appropriate action if it's necessary.

Take a chill pill & stop whining.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elling View Post
    In a "perfect world" would you rather have me post a new topic when this one seems to be appropriate?
    Grave robbing and thread hijacking forum posts is bad manners, like typing in all caps. Everyone but noobs, and you, apparently, knows that. So, yes, most members here, particularly those who have been around a long time and could help you, would prefer you to post a new topic rather than grave rob and thread hijack by posting your own question here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And thanks so much for providing any useful information to my question but I see that you were too busy nitpicking and bitching about a non-issue.
    Usually questions have these ( ? ) at the end.
    I want to use a CT-2 with my Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray player going out via yellow composite cable to my Pioneer DVR-650H HDD/DVD burner. I seem to recall attempting this a few years back and not being able to see the video. I realise that the picture quality will go "down" this way but I am trying to get "Run Lola Run" with English dubs for a friend who can only see out of one eye and subtitles aren't really a good option for her.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by elling View Post
    I fail to see your problem with my posting a question in this old thread. The OP seemed to have written a review of the CT-2 and others responded with suggestions and clarifications. In a "perfect world" would you rather have me post a new topic when this one seems to be appropriate? And thanks so much for providing any useful information to my question but I see that you were too busy nitpicking and bitching about a non-issue.
    Most of these gravedigging posts have very little to do with original post or replies.
    So no one will know how much of the original post or replies applies.
    Many times gravediggers think those in the original will answer them which is presumptuous.

Welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No reason it shouldn't work, I've used my CT-2 to remove CP from my Panasonic BD players. Note your BD player may disable SD(composite) output if using HDMI, that would explain blank video if you were using HDMI also.
    To test first run your composite cable directly to your recorder, if it displays then try the Sima in series.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for "gravedigging" and "thread hijacking" this archived -?- post. I had just gotten off of work when I google'd "sima ct-2 blu-ray player" and this thread was one of the first search results. I don't post here much (not even sure of how many posts I have made) but when I looked at the forum rules I see that I had inadvertently "hijacked" this thread. Mea culpa.

@ hech 54 I agree, it was a poorly worded question and I omitted the question mark.
    @ jjeff Good idea and thanks.
    Quote Quote