VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I´m thinking about buying an external drive to burn back-ups of my data on blu ray M-disc.
    The problem is that my computer is very old , it´s a Pentium Intel (R) 4 2.40 Ghz, 512 RAM.
    Is there any external Blu ray drive compatible, either current or out of the market? I´m only interested in burning data to M-discs not movies, so playback is not needed.
    Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You'll need USB 2.0 at a minimum. The LG BE14NU40 external drive should work with M discs, though the last I heard, 4x was maximum speed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alexandre Calvario View Post
    I´m thinking about buying an external drive to burn back-ups of my data on blu ray M-disc.
    The problem is that my computer is very old , it´s a Pentium Intel (R) 4 2.40 Ghz, 512 RAM.
    Is there any external Blu ray drive compatible, either current or out of the market? I´m only interested in burning data to M-discs not movies, so playback is not needed.
    Thank you in advance
    A PC that old (2002?) may only have USB 1.0. If that is the case, you would need to install an add-on card for USB 2.0. If it is a laptop, that may not be possible.

The other problem could be finding compatible drivers that will allow the BD RW drive to work with your OS if this PC runs a version of windows that predates Windows XP

If the PC has USB 2.0 and runs Windows XP, LG BE14NU40 recommended by Kerry56 is a good choice since it has its own power supply and does not draw power from the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I have USB 2.0 (4 ports) and my OS is windows XP service pack 3 but LG BE14NU40 requires 2GB of RAM according to this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/423065/Lg-Be14nu40.html?page=6
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alexandre Calvario View Post
    Yes, I have USB 2.0 (4 ports) and my OS is windows XP service pack 3 but LG BE14NU40 requires 2GB of RAM according to this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/423065/Lg-Be14nu40.html?page=6
    The system requirements are most likely related to the software that is used to play Blu-Ray discs. Burning software may have lower requirements. Have you tried running Imgburn on this system?
    Quote Quote