VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding Freemake Video Converter older versions: Version 4.0.3.4 ALSO has the Freemake Logo at the finish of videos of 5 mins duration and over! I would be interested to know the version number of the Freemake Video Converter which DOES NOT have the logo, ie, the last one before the Logo was introduced, please? Does anybody know?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if someone can answer that - logic dicatates that it would be Version 3.xxxxxx - how could you possibly obtain that version ?.

The program has been removed from this site and there has been plenty of discussion of it being not safe.

There are plenty of other converters out there without logos etc. Better to learn to use these than rely on some 'one-click' solution.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for writing, but it is not the answer I am looking for, unfortunately. There are still a few sites online offering the old versions of Freemake Video Converter: Afterdawn; pcworld and Oldversion.com to name three.

So, I am still interested to know: Can anybody please tell me which was the first version to introduce the watermark Logo at the end of a 5 minute duration video? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thought. Do not take what is written in the update notes as gospel - you can see that your version already includes the logos. What if ALL versions included this restriction ?.

A logic will say that this so. Why would a program provide un-restricted useage when the whole point is to sell the darn thing ?.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then download one of the versions that these sites promote/make available

I f you can convert a video longer than 5 minutes without logos then do provide value to the forum by providing the link
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Buy the Gold License, I did

2. Delete the image branding folder located in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Freemake\Freemake Video Converter\FMCommon\ConverterCommon\Resources
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And there is somat else in me that says that this 5 min issue has always been there.

The whole purpose is to sell the darn thing. Why give useage over a full video ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked on my drive, I've got Freemake Video Converter from 2011, version 2.40 if anybody is interested I'll upload it
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why go to all that trouble. Just download 4K Video Downloader It's FREE and it works. When I made the mistake of updating Freemake and found all the restictions this forum suggested 4K. I've been a happy user ever since.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry...thought we were talking about downloaders not converters. My favorite converter is Vidcoder to make MKV's to play on my Bluray player. I also use it to convert MPG video files to MP4 to play on 2 Public Access stations. Never had any not work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @dfisher052
    Vidcoder main and only advantage is batch processing. In every other aspect I would prefer avidemux. Detailed settings (using sliders or typing numbers) of main codecs, supporting Nvenc (not much detailed settings) and much better AAC codec, which is poor in Vidcoder. Also better filters. Possibility made visual cuts. Similar is VD2.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vinckles View Post
    Regarding Freemake Video Converter older versions: Version 4.0.3.4 ALSO has the Freemake Logo at the finish of videos of 5 mins duration and over! I would be interested to know the version number of the Freemake Video Converter which DOES NOT have the logo, ie, the last one before the Logo was introduced, please? Does anybody know?
    I've been using Freemake Video Converter for about 7 years. It suits what I do, with a big interface and simple operation on very long recordings. I have security software which I believe safeguards me from Freemake's PUPs and other nosiness. The fact that I'm still using it is testament to how much I value it.

I can't be exact, but around the introduction of Version4 Freemake took a serious dive in usability. The thing that affected me worst was the inability to navigate thru long recordings and cut clips along the way - now, every time you click you stop being able to see your video in motion as you scroll along the timeline to make the next cut - you have to save your selection and get the original file back up to make the next selection. (If you can't visualise what I'm talking about, I apologise, can't do better.) I reported it to Freemake as a bug, and they replied "It's not a bug, it's how it works now". Did they come up against copyright problems?

I therefore reverted to Version3, and what I lost on the swings I more than gained on the roundabouts.

Until !!!
    Less than a year ago Freemake stymied Version3 somehow, it will no longer work.

Then, in December 2017, restrictions were put on length of clips and number of clips to join, and a "waiting time" was required in the free version.

====================

From the website today - billox!

This is an example of what I was seeing when I investigated speeding up:

However, they sometimes do a very special offer where you can buy a licence for all packs for under $10 (£10), and I have managed to collect 3 such licences.

I do wonder if Freemake's Russian owners have long-term plans to spread mayhem internationally, but I need it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for writing. I am not quite sure what you are saying(?) Are you saying that Freemake, today, can in someway exert an influence on the older versions of their softwares and that all the older versions starting with a '3' have now been rubbished?

I have been testing old versions: 3.2.1.3; 3.2.1.4; 3.2.1.5, all downloaded from oldversion.com, and I am finding that the Editor does not work in each case. These would be good softwares if they would function on all features!

If Freemake can somehow influence and 'rubbish' the older versions, does anyone know of a simple way to prevent such an influence, please?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using an older version of Freemake Video Converter, don't have the version number but it was before any of this business was a concern.
    I used it occasionally to convert videos to mp3 or webm to mp4. The last time I went to use it the "convert to" menu only allowed one choice - I think it was DVD. All the other selections were grayed out. I had blocked the program's access to the internet using ZoneAlarm, so how did it decide to change the way it worked? I uninstalled it at that point. It was a pretty good program and it also could rip audio CDs.
    I'd like to have it working again, but I'm not going to pay a company that offered it for free then pulled the plug on it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you saying that Freemake, today, can in someway exert an influence on the older versions of their softwares and that all the older versions starting with a '3' have now been rubbished?
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. (I was using 3.2.1.5 for years.)

If Freemake can somehow influence and 'rubbish' the older versions, does anyone know of a simple way to prevent such an influence, please?
    It was thought that cutting it off from the internet would "prevent such an influence" but, as Joe599 has pointed out above, it doesn't work.

In any case, I record live webcams 24/7 and edit files across my network (recordings made on other laptops), so disconnecting from the internet is not an option.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clemenzina View Post
    Are you saying that Freemake, today, can in someway exert an influence on the older versions of their softwares and that all the older versions starting with a '3' have now been rubbished?
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. (I was using 3.2.1.5 for years.)

It was thought that cutting it off from the internet would "prevent such an influence" but, as Joe599 has pointed out above, it doesn't work.
    I also have an older version of their Video Downloader that I use sometimes. (There is a thread somewhere about that program). Perhaps it monitors all Freemake apps.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JoeS99 View Post
    I also have an older version of their Video Downloader that I use sometimes. (There is a thread somewhere about that program). Perhaps it monitors all Freemake apps.
    Altho I've used Downloader (and Audio Converter) in the distant past, I've only ever had Video Converter installed on this laptop.

I have no insight or expertise in this field, but presumably all programs have "call home" features embedded in them? I do wish someone who does have insight and expertise would come along and enlighten us.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My sentiments exactly: Please will someone come to our rescue and explain in step by step fashion how to deflect Freemake from sending a signal / message, which spoils the old softwares(?) Old versions 3.2.0.0 to 3.2.1.9 are the ones being spoiled, currently. Turning the internet off before installing Does Not Work. We need an alternative method. I have been trying these softwares on window 7 /10 /XP, so hopefully the ritual would be about the same to do on all versions(?) Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by vinckles View Post
    Please will someone come to our rescue and explain in step by step fashion how to deflect Freemake from sending a signal / message, which spoils the old softwares
    Doesn't blocking the .exe with your firewall work?

If it doesn't, then there could be a file or possibly a registry entry that needs investigating (and fixing!).
    You should never ever let "free" software call home.
    Last edited by mike20021969; 1st Oct 2018 at 04:29.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I don't know if this will work for anyone else...
    I had copied the Program Files/Freemake folder onto another drive as a backup some time ago. Version 4.1.9 .
    I ran RegEdit and searched for Freemake Video Converter, it appeared once along with Video Downloader. I deleted the Video Converter entry. I didn't note which key it was under, sorry. I copied my backup folder FreemakeVideoConverter to another utility folder on my C: drive and created a shortcut to FreemakeVC.exe . The program appears to function with the full convert menu. I converted a short file to mp4 as a test and it appeared to work as expected. No Freemake logo either, but I never saw that before anyway.
    Time will tell if it reverts to not-working, then I would try deleting any registry entries that may exist.
    I don't use the program too frequently myself.

EDIT: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freemake
    Last edited by JoeS99; 4th Oct 2018 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I don't know if this will work for anyone else...
    I had copied the Program Files/Freemake folder onto another drive as a backup some time ago. Version 4.1.9 .
    I ran RegEdit and searched for Freemake Video Converter, it appeared once along with Video Downloader. I deleted the Video Converter entry. I didn't note which key it was under, sorry. I copied my backup folder FreemakeVideoConverter to another utility folder on my C: drive and created a shortcut to FreemakeVC.exe . The program appears to function with the full convert menu. I converted a short file to mp4 as a test and it appeared to work as expected. No Freemake logo either, but I never saw that before anyway.
    Time will tell if it reverts to not-working, then I would try deleting any registry entries that may exist.
    I don't use the program too frequently myself.
    I'm not sure I follow you all the way thru, Joe, but how long was your "short" file? The addition of the logo kicks in @ 5+ minutes, plus there's waiting time before conversion starts.

As you seem to know what you are doing it would be great if you could try to get version 3.2.1.5 (the latest fully-functional that's available AFAIK) to work, it's downloadable from oldversion.com.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clemenzina View Post

I'm not sure I follow you all the way thru, Joe, but how long was your "short" file? The addition of the logo kicks in @ 5+ minutes, plus there's waiting time before conversion starts.

As you seem to know what you are doing it would be great if you could try to get version 3.2.1.5 (the latest fully-functional that's available AFAIK) to work, it's downloadable from oldversion.com.
    My short file was less than a minute. I did try a 20 minute mp4 (convert to mkx) and was able to play the resultant file as it was being converted. No logo at the start. I aborted because it was going to take too long.

I'll see if I can find the time to get the 3.2.1.5 version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Curious what is so special about this payware that can't be done easily with any free alternative. Reminds me Mediacoder. Conglomerate of free resources. Nothing more. And price is Nasty with big N.
    This thread seems to me be advertisement and inform others that such Nastyware exists with vision someone will buy it. Golden licence also mentioned here btw...

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried installing old version 3.2.1.5. It wanted to update (I didn't), and the convert menu was grayed out for most file types.
    It even messed up my version 4.1.9 that had been working. If I ran the exe in the 4.1.9 folder, the 3.2.1.5 version would run!
    I did a System Restore and that didn't seem to help.

I ended up moving the Folder for 4.1.9 under yet another folder and now I think it's working. I didn't think to try that with 3.2.1.5 and had already deleted it. Oh well, I'm not messing with it now, maybe someone else has the time. Freemake may use a combination of Registry keys and Application Data for control. Just frustrating for me right now, but I don't want to flub up my machine.
    I would suggest copying the Freemake Video Converter folder to another location and creating a shortcut to it.
    I was too tired to think of that (with 3.2.1.5) before I deleted it.
    Last edited by JoeS99; 2nd Oct 2018 at 17:42.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried installing old version 3.2.1.5...
    Thank you for your time and trouble, Joe, much appreciated.

Since Freemake became payware (I call it 'ransomware'!) it updates* every few weeks - I'm always hoping that one of these days it will restore full navigation functionality, maybe having paid for whatever copyrights it needs with all the money it's been collecting

*It says it will only take a minute but I have to reboot because it stops my screenshot and typing shortcut software from working.
    Quote Quote