VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Got this link emailed to me. Would be something, wouldn't it?
    http://hometown.aol.com/jabba4x/myhomepage/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Transcoder

http://www.hillmanminx.net/transcoder/index.html

Get video en audio streams with OSex.
    If too big make "fit to DVD-r" with Transcoder.
    Get subtitles with OSex as one vob.
    Use Subrip in VPC.
    Get the language you want.
    Tweak with a few simple BBedit greps.
    Import in Subtitle Editor ( DVD Studio Pro )
    Export as .spu file
    Author in DVD Studio Pro.
    It sounds complicated but it isn't.
    It's a poor man's DVD2One

But it works.

To be more creative I capture startupscreen from original
    as photoshop and create my menu in DVD SP.
    Starts up with native subtitle language and I reconstruct
    the chapter markers. I don't care about the extra's on
    the DVD because you only watch them once when you
    rent it the first time.
    Once you know how it works its fun to do.
    It takes some reading manuals.
    If you only want DVD and no SVCD this is the way.
    Transcoder can also batch so when I hit the sack
    I can do 2 movies in one night.

Have fun.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Xwarrior, you said that porting was impossible beacause DVD2one was written for the wintel-processor, how do you explain that it now runs in VPC?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I cant get the new version to work on VPC what are you doing that I am not?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi all,

I was a bit flamed for telling that i got DVD2ONE to work in VPC
    and the thread was blocked.

It was a movie I "OWNED" !!!

This whole forum is W*A*R*E*Z so don't let us kid ourselfs.

So I am a bit reluctant for more details.

I might be banned. ))

But it WORKS

But how??? ))
    Quote Quote  
  6. x I am presently ready to donate one of my testicles to the charity of your choice if you fill me in. Of course I am not one of those evil wares hounds, i just want to be able to some of those darstedly big church picnic dvds onto those nice dvd5's.

I'm sure you understand

Gefsmith@mac.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by expo
    Xwarrior, you said that porting was impossible beacause DVD2one was written for the wintel-processor, how do you explain that it now runs in VPC?
    it works in VPC because VPC is DESIGNED to run windows software.. most of the software you run in VPC is designed for wintel processors... It may not run ALL software but the majority should work. (minus games which just arent even worth emulating) And i'm sure if the author of the software decided it was worth their while it could all be ported.. anything is possible to port, some things are just easier than others. I severly doubt the author will find it worth their while, and frankly i dont blame them. So basically its possible that it would be ported, just not even remotely plausible
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xwarrior

I was a bit flamed for telling that i got DVD2ONE to work in VPC
    and the thread was blocked.

But it WORKS

But how??? ))

I was rather shocked to see that topic locked down. Is the revelation of how it works in VPC in and of itself a warez discussion? Quite frankly, the 42/DiscomVOBulator projects are not quite what I'm looking for on a long-term backup basis, but DVD2One is. I've been seriously considering returning to the dark side and buying a PC laptop just to use DVD2One. I already own a legal copy of VPC but had no use for it after Jaguar was released. If I could use DVD2One in VPC, that would make my Powerbook an even more valuable asset.

If Xwarrior cannot share this information publicly, please dude ... e-mail me. I wouldn't give my left nut, per se, but something of equally masculine symbolic value could be yours!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Guest
    Originally Posted by bilestyle
    it works in VPC because VPC is DESIGNED to run windows software.. most of the software you run in VPC is designed for wintel processors... It may not run ALL software but the majority should work. (minus games which just arent even worth emulating) And i'm sure if the author of the software decided it was worth their while it could all be ported.. anything is possible to port, some things are just easier than others. I severly doubt the author will find it worth their while, and frankly i dont blame them. So basically its possible that it would be ported, just not even remotely plausible
    Bilestyle man I can tell you never attempted to run DVD2One in VPC ever. If you tried you would have known that it results in an error as soon as it is launched. This is due to the inital start-up screen of the application being poorly coded, or something along those lines. <edit>

It is also unlikely to be ported because it was written in assembler and lots of commands in assembler are platform specific to a very high degree (unlike C++). It's also possible that one could run it using the assembler x86 libraries using bochs, but ya dont see me doing that I like ya man, but a little less morning coffee and a little less Jading might do you good.

A@ron
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah man, I'm with Aaron on this one, B

Let them live, A' alright

-K
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi to all,

Like someone said "I am willing to give my left nut" LOL

That was the same for me.

One nice guy was willing to gave me a working version.

I almost wetted my pants seeing the app starting up in VPC.

Why? Because of its speed and quality and subtitles and chapters.

I am not talking about LOTR and other films over 3 hours.

Buy the freaking movies. I did.

And all those winers talking about quality of DVD2ONE.

Try it out with the normal movies which are 90 - 120 min and you will

see no difference. And its done under an hour with the right hardware.

I am Dutch myself and I am writing an email to Erwin to let us Mac users

BUY a legal version which is registered in advance so we don't have

the startup shit of the app. If he is willing to do that ( its extra money so I

think he will ) I will buy the application.

I admire Kai and all the Mac dudes for writing software for us DVD users

but at the moment nothing can beat DVD2ONE ( even on the PC )

My two Dutch eurocents.

So RIP your heart out ))

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by A@ron
    Bilestyle man I can tell you never attempted to run DVD2One in VPC ever. If you tried you would have known that it results in an error as soon as it is launched. This is due to the inital start-up screen of the application being poorly coded, or something along those lines. What xwarrior was refering to is an illegal copy which had been modified to open up without the inital application start-up screen. The illegal and modified copy does now run in VPC without an error unlike the version readily available from the programs website. It is also unlikely to be ported because it was written in assembler and lots of commands in assembler are platform specific to a very high degree (unlike C++). It's also possible that one could run it using the assembler x86 libraries using bochs, but ya dont see me doing that I like ya man, but a little less morning coffee and a little less Jading might do you good. A@ron
    But, when running through VPC, it's using the PowerPC-processor, this "designed for the wintel processor" does not make any sense, I'm sticking to Bilestyle's theory: everything is portable

Hey, Xwarrior, make him port it, OS X native. He would make a fortune. Again. Why don't some code-wizard in this foum team up with Erwin and release the best app in DVD-ripping's history, DVD2one for OS X!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to see how well DVD2One worked on squeezing a DVD-9 at the NTSC Video framerate with a running time of 3 hours 1 minute. For those of you who aren't aware, hard-coding 29.97 frames per second takes up a lot more room than a disc with 24 frames per second that utilizes 3:2 pulldown. I wanted to see how DVD2One worked for speed and picture quality on such a long disc.

Again, I was floored. It took 37 minutes to crunch the disc and to my eyes, the copy was nearly indistinguishable from the original. I looked for lack of clarity, blockiness, jerky movements ... even errors at the end of the disc. I'm pleased to say the disc played flawlessly from start to finish. That was when I started to think about buying a PC.

Xwarrior, good luck on getting the developers to release a version without a startup screen. DVD2One is totally worth the 40 Euros it costs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by A@ron

Bilestyle man I can tell you never attempted to run DVD2One in VPC ever. If you tried you would have known that it results in an error as soon as it is launched. This is due to the inital start-up screen of the application being poorly coded, or something along those lines. What xwarrior was refering to is an illegal copy which had been modified to open up without the inital application start-up screen. The illegal and modified copy does now run in VPC without an error unlike the version readily available from the programs website. It is also unlikely to be ported because it was written in assembler and lots of commands in assembler are platform specific to a very high degree (unlike C++). It's also possible that one could run it using the assembler x86 libraries using bochs, but ya dont see me doing that I like ya man, but a little less morning coffee and a little less Jading might do you good.

A@ron
    funny thing is, i dont drink coffee - i am aware that it would not be EASY to make a mac os X ready version of DVD2one, and i really just don't think its going to get ported. I think the best hope mac users have for a program of its nature is someone writing it from scratch on the mac.. i just don't think that is very likely, that is all i was really sayin.- i choose not to discuss whether i have played with this hacked version or whatever of DVD2One because the forum moderators have made it VERY clear they DONT want people talking about it. I respect that, and I don't talk about using it.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    Is the revelation of how it works in VPC in and of itself a warez discussion?
    No, but when the entire topic talks about warez products, then it will be locked.
    Quote Quote  
  16. But, when running through VPC, it's using the PowerPC-processor, this "designed for the wintel processor" does not make any sense, I'm sticking to Bilestyle's theory: everything is portable
    Not everything is portable to Virtual PC. Have any of you guys ever tried using Cinema Craft Encoder in Virtual PC? Cinema Craft is a very expensive and very fast MPEG encoder which would only work with certain specific Athlon or Pentium processors. In order to achieve increased speed, it somehow dealt directly with the CPU for certain operations, but it would generate errors when run on, say, Celerons or older Pentiums. Of course, the same thing happened in Virtual PC, you would just get an error and the program would quit.

Although not that common, it does occur. It demonstrates that not everything is inherently portable to Virtual PC and the more optimized the code is for a specific processor, the less likely it is to work.
    Quote Quote  
  17. There is a big miscommunication going on here. Two completely separate topics have been merged into one.

First, "porting" -- this first came up when someone started talking about the possibility of porting DVD2ONE from PC to Mac. Porting would involve re-writing the code so that is runs natively (i.e. NOT in VPC) in Mac OS X and/or Mac OS 9. To repeat -- if DVD2ONE were PORTED, it would not have to be run in VPC! Because DVD2ONE is NOT PORTED at this time, it must be run in VPC (though it seems there are other issues there).

Side issue: "porting" a PC app to run in VPC really doesn't make sense in the traditional sense of the word. You run PC apps in VPC because they have not been ported to Mac. So a comment about "porting a PC app to run in VPC" really doesn't make sense. It's either not ported (and must be run in VPC), or it is ported, and therefore can be run on the Mac without VPC.

Second, to the best of my knowledge, VPC emulates an older Pentium chip (perhaps the Pentium I?). So, newer PC apps which require a PIII or an Athlon processor may or may not run in VPC. This is a totally separate issue from "porting".

Hope this helps...
    :: rockinsage ::
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rockinsage
    Second, to the best of my knowledge, VPC emulates an older Pentium chip (perhaps the Pentium I?). So, newer PC apps which require a PIII or an Athlon processor may or may not run in VPC. This is a totally separate issue from "porting".
    Hope this helps...
    I noticed my copy of VirtualPC 5 + upgrade to 6 emulates a Pentium II chip, and I originally thought this Pentium II business was causing the error. Then I read somewhere some guy had sucess on a computer with the original Pentium chip ... that's when I got pissed.

Now that I think of it, that guy probably made up the whole thing.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by rockinsage
    There is a big miscommunication going on here. Two completely separate topics have been merged into one.

First, "porting" -- this first came up when someone started talking about the possibility of porting DVD2ONE from PC to Mac. Porting would involve re-writing the code so that is runs natively (i.e. NOT in VPC) in Mac OS X and/or Mac OS 9. To repeat -- if DVD2ONE were PORTED, it would not have to be run in VPC! Because DVD2ONE is NOT PORTED at this time, it must be run in VPC (though it seems there are other issues there).

Side issue: "porting" a PC app to run in VPC really doesn't make sense in the traditional sense of the word. You run PC apps in VPC because they have not been ported to Mac. So a comment about "porting a PC app to run in VPC" really doesn't make sense. It's either not ported (and must be run in VPC), or it is ported, and therefore can be run on the Mac without VPC.

Hope this helps...
    Calm down man.

I think you are confused by my use of the word "portable", by which I didn't mean to imply that an app needs to be ported to run in Virtual PC. I meant portable in the sense that it could be brought into Virtual PC and successfully run as an application. My point was that not all Windows apps can be run successfully in Virtual PC because their code is so tightly bound to specific processors, no matter how heroic a job Virtual PC does emulating a Pentium II processor. The Cinema Craft Encoder is one example of this.

I think the consensus is that the authors of DVD2One are not going to be interested in porting it to the mac, so we are now discussing the possibility of using the app under Virtual PC which may or may not be possible.
    Quote Quote  
  20. nfasano,

Calm down man.
    Dude, trust me, I'm calm.

My post was not directed at you, or else I would have quoted you. I'm just trying to put things in the proper perspective here, because I can tell even from earlier on in this thread that not everyone is getting the concept of 'porting' an application.

AntnyMD,

I noticed my copy of VirtualPC 5 + upgrade to 6 emulates a Pentium II chip, and I originally thought this Pentium II business was causing the error...
    Cool, thanks for the clarification. I knew it was an earlier Pentium chip, just wasn't sure which one. Now that MS owns it, who knows what will happen to VPC...
    :: rockinsage ::
    Quote Quote  
  21. Sorry if I sounded a little defensive. I probably could have picked a better word than portable, I'll admit.

In all honesty, I hate to use a program in Virtual PC when there are guys like Kai and Bilestyle on our side coming up with cool stuff like forty-two and disco. For myself and many others, Mac software does the job with style. I'd rather stick with these guys than mess around in Virtual PC.
    Quote Quote  
  22. God love 'em. Now there is a prog that is supposed to be even better then DVD2One - dvd95copy but it too does not work under VPC... It must be a conspiracy!

G
    Quote Quote  
  23. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    I concur.

I've only had a chance to run the trial version (limited to 30 minutes) of DVD2one, but from what I have seen, it IS amazing.

The program ain't perfect, but given the speed the end result is excellent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a thread going on here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65737 on the DVD2One forum asking if users would like a MacOS X port of DVD2One. I would suggest adding your voice here.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by tgpo
    DVD2one is amazing, Forty-Two is not, unfortunately.

Forty-Two is a great app, just not amazing.
    Its people like you that make program coders quit their projects. You insult their hard work and tell them they need to be more like another program. I don't care about DVD2one or what it does, I bet you're of the programers and just want to get more publicity.

Forty-Two is an AMAZING application. It cuts the time and effort of making a vcd/svcd in half, probably more. It use to take me over 2 days to make a vcd, now I get one in 5 hours. That is amazing.

DVD2one transcodes a DVD in 15-30 minutes, including subs and desired audio-track AND make it's calculations based on the specific DVD inserted. 15-30 minutes, read that again.
    I read it the first time, but I still don't care....sorry

I'm not saying that wishful think is bad, but what I am saying it that putting down people's hard work and long hours spent on a project is.
    Remember this post TGPO? Pathetic. Now do you care for the features of DVD2oneX?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're still bring this up? Pathetic. I see it like this: Forty-Two is perfect for VCD/SVCD/CVD/Divx and DVD2OneX is great for DVDs. Let it go man, stop living in the past and move on.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i know i've already said something to you once expo.. but jesus.. you went back to BOTH dvd2one threads and bring up bs against forty-two and comments made by kai and say "na-na" like you knew something more than anyone else. YOU are the kind of person that gives the ENTIRE mac community a bad name for the kind of things you say. okay dvd2one is cool, great, lets all celebrate.. blah blah blah.. but is there REALLY any constructive goal in what you are doing right now? does it make you feel like a better person? you have GOT to be at MOST 15 years old with the way you are acting and i seriously hope that developers on a whole ignore your asinine comments from here on, so they avoid getting infuriated with your total lack of regard for the hard work they do for this community.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bilestyle
    ...YOU are the kind of person that gives the ENTIRE mac community a bad name for the kind of things you say....you have GOT to be at MOST 15 years old with the way you are acting and i seriously hope that developers on a whole ignore your asinine comments from here on...
    Wow, two very conflicting statements there. Anyone who takes the coments of a single person to reflect on a community as a whole is always going to be severely misguided, and this is only exacerbated by your achnowledgement that he is acting immaturely. The ONLY person he is giving a bad name to is himself; the 'Mac community' (if there is such a single beast), has nothing to do with his childish 'neener neener neener' postings, and is innocent of any bias you may apply to it. Do not mistake the vocalisations of a single immature malcontent for the feelings of a group, especially one as large and varied as the 'Mac community'. Sorry, but I couldn't let that one slide.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay saying he gives the entire community a bad name was slighlty rash, but some people are just so ignorant, totally free of any shred of intelligence and immature that it is beyond infuriating. Expo is the kind of user we could just as soon do without. I was angry reading him replying to one post, but the fact that he hunted down both threads to comment on what kai or anyone else had to say about dvd2one is beyond childish and it really angered me. Yes maybe i shouldn't let his inane comments bother me enough to prevent me working on future projects... but he's not the only one to make comments that are so ridiculous, he is just the latest one... its okay though, i hope he needs help with something in the future and no one helps him.. i sure as hell won't.. maybe that makes me childish, and if it does, so be it.

Quote Quote