VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I see these time lapse videos all the time. How are people doing that? namely I want to cut down 31+ hours of video to 10 minutes. basically I need to take a "frame" every 3.1 minutes or so

is there a nice convenient automated way to do this? it will NOT be a solid 31 hours file it will be broken into 15 minute chunks.

so I want to grab roughly 5 frames from each chunk and take those 5500 or so frames and make a video out of it.

how would I go about doing that?

I am driving out to colorado for a rocket launch. its a 31hour drive. I have a dash cam that turns on whenever the car is running and records video at 720p for as long as I am driving in 15 minute chunks. I thought it would be neat to make a 10 minute time lapse video of the whole trip in a 10 minute video I could then upload to youtube.

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use a program like VirtualDub and the 'Video>Frame Rate>Decimate By' box to remove frames. But if you squeeze 30 hours down to ten minutes, you will just end up with a random slide show. But try it out and you might come up with something. Maybe some selective editing before decimating would help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deleted post
    Last edited by netmask56; 8th Jul 2010 at 00:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WOW! make sure you post a link when it is finished! Sounds like a great idea. Many years ago back in celluloid days I shot a film of a trip up North from Sydney to the Gold Coast and manually edited out frames and literally cemented (film cement) them together. Managed 5 screenings before disaster...

Redwudz suggestion is a good one but may I suggest you have at least more than a few speeded up concurrent frames rather than a collection of what-in-effect as Redwudz describes as a random slide show
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Decimate -- I've done this before.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. VirtualDub's "Decimate By" option will throw away frames but won't change the running time. You must also use the "Change Frame Rate" option if you want to speed it up. To display 31 hours of video in 10 minutes means speeding it up by about 200 fold. If it's 30 fps video set the frame rate to 6000 (200*30) then decimate by 200 to restore the original frame rate. You can also do this in AviSynth with AssumeFPS(6000).ChangeFPS(30). Most NLEs have this ability too.

With that large a speedup it's nearly impossible to tell what's going. You'll get much better results with less speedup and editing out the boring parts.
    Quote Quote