VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there is any video player software (for Windows preferably) that can apply basic filters to videos.
    By filter I don't mean video encoding or decoding software (like divx, h264, vp8, webm and such).

For example showing subtitles is a a basic filter applied to the original video.
    What I need is a bit more filters, like for example drawing a blue, opaque square on the bottom-left part of the video. Or turning the sound off for the first two minutes of the video, or reducing the sound volume by 50% for the last three minutes of the video.
    I do not need to be able to save the resulted video. I just want to watch it, with my chosen filter.

Is there any such player that allows the user to apply basic filters to videos they are watching?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. For video, it can be done efficiently in realtime with user gpu shaders (a MaskBox is what you are looking for, ex: bShaders barMask.hlsl Mode 2). Hlsl is supported by many directshow players (I would recommend mpc-hc for this), Mpv uses glsl based .hook.
    VLC has some buit-in cpu filters (including a logo filter) and mpv has built-in ffmpeg video filters.

For audio, I think it should be possible with mpv / ffmpeg audio filters.

If Avisynth+ is installed, Avisynth scripts can also be opened by some videoplayers (no indexing is required with mp4/mov video with LSMASHSource plugin).
    Last edited by butterw; 6th May 2021 at 03:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much!

I am trying to make AviSynth work with VLC, I found an AviSynth plugin for VLC here.
    It worked for an .asf video very well.

But I can't open mp4 videos (encoded with h264). It says that the format is unknown. Is there a solution for having AviSynth open mp4 files?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Consider PotPlayer. It has an AviSynth filter built in.

You probably need to install a source filter like LSMASH or ffms2. Then you need to know how to write scripts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Avisynth+: with LSMASHSource plugin, no indexing is required for mp4/mov video.

If you use an avs script you have to provide the filepath to the video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded L-SMASH-Works (L-SMASH-Works_20210423.7z) from this link - https://github.com/HolyWu/L-SMASH-Works/releases/

I copied the file plugins\LSMASHSource.dll into the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins+

But it still doesn't work.

My AVS script looks like this:

DirectShowSource("D:\MyVideo.mp4", fps=25, convertfps=true)

It works with ASF but it doesn't work with MP4

What do I have to do to make it work?
    Quote Quote  
  7. LSmashVideoSource("D:\MyVideo.mp4")
    Quote Quote