VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI
    I can convert camcorder clips AVCHD from original m2ts format to mpeg2hd but when I import these mpeg2HD files to my editing software Pinnacle 14 all clips look funny and squished, black bars on left and right side.Click image for larger version

Name:	PS 14 screen.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	11456
    Any ideas guys?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looks like whatever you did to convert from m2ts to mpeg-2 messed it up. never a good idea to encode multiple times, why not use the original m2ts?

not much info to go on either, what cam and what settings were used?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I do use original m2ts files to create final movie files and disc, but have some special effects or short extra clips done outside Pinnacle and imported in to Pinnacle timeline. I made sure that this extras were encoded in mpeg 2 HD 1920x1080.
    If I'm correct, you can't encode anything to m2ts and import it in. As a test, I did convert one m2ts clip to mpeg2 HD and imported it to Pinnacle timeline (one you see in "peep" window with boat) and result was the same, squished picture.
    To recap: m2ts file converted to mpeg2HD and imported to Pinnacle is getting squished and any extra effect clips done outside Pinnacle encoded to mpeg2HD and imported to Pinnacle is getting squished. It looks like no way out, unless, I'm missing something. As far as my settings goes, not doing anything extra special, typical settings for HD settings BD disc from 'Project Properties" pull down menu HD 1920X108060i
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By the looks of it the video got encoded to 4:3 somehow and not a pan and scan job either - really botched if its squished out of proportion. Does the other program have a 16:9 output setting? Check to make sure next time you use it. Or else make sure you have "keep as is" or something similar so it doesn't change the aspect ratio. Thats my take on it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have Pinnacle Studio but in many other editors you can edit aspect ratio in clip properties.

Try right clip, properties and see if you can change source aspect ratio to 16:9.

Your preview window also appears to be set 4:3. Try to find project settings and change to 16:9.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you all for your help.
    Last poster suggestion; right click on thumbnails clips on left side and there is 4:3 or 16:9 options with check mark next to them, but they all gray out and can't be used. Few times converted test clips from m2ts to mpeg2 hd making sure 16:9 is checked but they still have 4:3 check mark when imported to Pinnacle. How can I make aspect ratio "alive" after right click clip to be able to uncheck 4:3 and tick 16:9.
    Regards
    Quote Quote