VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to author using MultiAVCHD. With transcoding the original source (640x480), it forces me to choose a 720x480 uncrop option, which stretches the image in an ugly way to no longer being 4:3. Is there a way for me to keep this resolution and the original aspect ratio that doesn't degrade quality?

I appreciate any help in advance and hope all you guys are staying safe.

Solution: See mail2tom for one solution in MultiAVCHD OR if you're looking to avoid having to encode multiple times for different reasons, use Avidemux. It did my AAC->AC3, uncropping, hardcoded subs, output to mkv with a lot of customization and in less than a minute. Really happy to have stumbled on it!
    Last edited by Bass_Soul; 8th Apr 2020 at 21:41.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 720x480 is the standard size for 4:3 (and 16:9) SD material on DVD and BD. The program is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Along with the UNCROP function (when you transcode), depending on the original video, you can adjust the video by changing the output with the RESIZE function. You can resize to 720X480 and 720X480 (4:3). Using the 4:3 aspect ratio will stop the video from stretching, however if you use a menu it will will not render the menu properly (call t a "feature").
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is there a program that will allow me to add black bars properly without stretching the video? Apologies if there's a simple solution I'm not thinking of, I'm fairly new to all this stuff.

Edit: Answer submitted just before I submitted. Thought I looked for that option (I initially tried 960x720 thinking it went in ascending order) but I found it by scrolling down instead of up. Thanks mail2tom!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bass_Soul View Post
    Is there a program that will allow me to add black bars properly without stretching the video?
    You're not supposed to add pillarbox bars, it's supposed to be stretched to 720x480. The player will adjust for the aspect ratio just like it does for DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There was an old program AviRecomp which allowed you to add black bars, but you would have to change the file extension from .mp4 to .avi to input your video. Easier to use would be SuperSimple Video Converter 2015(available on this site!)which preserves black bars and aspect without squashing. Also you can input h265 files and output to h264 etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Instead of using uncropMKV in MultiAVCHD, I'd like to use it standalone now so my files are compliant ahead of time...weird thing is when I just load UncropMKV standalone, it doesn't provide me with the 4:3 option now :/
    Quote Quote