VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to change the appearance of the subtitles in a set of Blu-Ray folders, which contain multiple episodes at 1920x1080, 29.97 FPS.

So I extracted the video, audio, and subtitles for the first episode, then used Subtitle Edit to OCR them into an .srt file. I then used Aegisub to apply the subtitle styling I prefer with the Consolas font and saved them in the .ass format, but it took a few tries to set the font size that suited me best. To do this, I needed to actually see the combined results, so I used MKVToolNix GUI to merge them, then played them using VLC and/or VSO Media Player. My first try was for font size 18, but the subs looked too large for my tastes, so I decreased the size until I reached size 6, which looked ideal.

So I repeated that sequence for the next episode, but this time Consolas 6 was so tiny as to be indecipherable! In order for the subs in Episode 2 to approximately match the appearance of Episode 1, I had to set the font size to Consolas 20. Why does this happen? What am I doing wrong, please?

I've attached a zip file containing the text output from MediaInfo, but I don't think they will help; but who knows?

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, version 1909

Thank you for your help and time!
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by EmmB; 10th Oct 2020 at 22:55. Reason: Added OS info
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you open the .ass subtitles and check what is actually specified in there?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you checked if PlayResX and PlayResY are used in your final version?

Code:
    [Script Info]
    Title: Image to ASS Draw commands v0.5 [by Diclonius Subs]
    ScriptType: v4.00+
    PlayResX: 640
    PlayResY: 480
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I didn't know that .ass files were just text, so thanks for educating me. But everything looks as expected: Every subtitle line was preceeded by the correct fontname and sizze: Consolas,6 And when I looked at the Consolas 20 subtitles, they showed: Consolas, 20

But thanks for your reply!

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Have you checked if PlayResX and PlayResY are used in your final version?

Code:
    [Script Info]
    Code:

Thanks for your reply as well. Those tags did not exist in any of my .ass subtitle files. The closes I could find were ScaleX and ScaleY, and they were both correctly set at 100.

But here is the first part of the script:
    Code:
    [Script Info]
    ; Script generated by Aegisub 3.2.2
    ; http://www.aegisub.org/
    Title: Default Aegisub file
    WrapStyle: 0
    ScaledBorderAndShadow: yes
    YCbCr Matrix: None

[Aegisub Project Garbage]
    Last Style Storage: Default
    Scroll Position: 671
    Active Line: 683
    To the both of you: I don't want to take more of your time, since I've already finished adjusting all the .ass file and merged them successfully. And every .ass file but the first required font size 20. I considered the idea that there might be some hidden setting (such as in the registry or .ini files) that was set one way for the first file and it got changed before I started on the rest of them? My hunch is no, since I've changed the Consolas 6 file more recently, and the size still needed to be set to 6 for the desired appearance.

But if you want to try to solve the mystery, please do so and report what you find!

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EmmB View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I didn't know that .ass files were just text, so thanks for educating me. But everything looks as expected: Every subtitle line was preceeded by the correct fontname and sizze: Consolas,6 And when I looked at the Consolas 20 subtitles, they showed: Consolas, 20

But thanks for your reply!

Have you checked if PlayResX and PlayResY are used in your final version?

Code:
    [Script Info]
    Code:

Thanks for your reply as well. Those tags did not exist in any of my .ass subtitle files. The closes I could find were ScaleX and ScaleY, and they were both correctly set at 100.

But here is the first part of the script:
    Code:
    [Script Info]
    ; Script generated by Aegisub 3.2.2
    ; http://www.aegisub.org/
    Title: Default Aegisub file
    WrapStyle: 0
    ScaledBorderAndShadow: yes
    YCbCr Matrix: None

[Aegisub Project Garbage]
    Last Style Storage: Default
    Scroll Position: 671
    Active Line: 683
    To the both of you: I don't want to take more of your time, since I've already finished adjusting all the .ass file and merged them successfully. And every .ass file but the first required font size 20. I considered the idea that there might be some hidden setting (such as in the registry or .ini files) that was set one way for the first file and it got changed before I started on the rest of them? My hunch is no, since I've changed the Consolas 6 file more recently, and the size still needed to be set to 6 for the desired appearance.

But if you want to try to solve the mystery, please do so and report what you find!

Thanks again
    I'm not that familiar with them myself; I had one laying around on my PC, took a look
    and found this section
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ass.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	55456  

Quote Quote  
  6. Using Video -> Use dummy video in Aegisub allows you to give a video resolution and a script contaning PlayResX and PlayResY.
    Quote Quote