VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a digital projector. First of all, what am I supposed to look for? I only know about the DPI and that too I know a little. I only know that it is the resolution of the projector.

If I am looking for a cheap projector between $400 and 600, which projector on the market would you suggest?
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh sorry forgot, I am looking to use it to make an illustration to a small group that is, the people should be sitting about 5-8 feet away from the screen. and the room would be at most 14 by 14 feet.
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A few representative ones from NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=42&N=2103430042 You would have more selections on the upper end of the $400 - $600 range.

If you only need it for computer display and not HDTV, there are a few in your price range. Most will be 600 X 800 pixels, which is fine for most uses. You want to look at the throw distance to make sure it can focus close enough for your display distance. Also the projected image size at that distance, along with what amount of keystone adjustments it may have if your projector is up close. Some have built in speakers if that is necessary.

You didn't say what device you would use for the input. VGA from a laptop is the usual input. If you wanted to use a set top DVD player, then that would usually be a different type of projector. The DLP projectors seem to have a little better contrast, but usually higher price. Most any of the lower priced projectors need a somewhat darkened room. But they also use less expensive replacement bulbs. I would suggest adding a spare bulb into the projector price. They usually have a long lifespan, but if they fail, you usually need the replacement immediately.

You may also want to look into a video screen if you plan to do this often. A regular movie screen doesn't usually work as well.

You could get more specific information at a site like Projector Central or similar: http://www.projectorcentral.com/
    Quote Quote