VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best program for ripping scratched DVD-Rs? Prefer Linux (I use Mint 18.2).
    Quote Quote  
  2. ISOBuster. But no Linux version. The company recommends running it via Wine.

ISOPuzzle, but only for Windows. I don't know if it runs under Wine or a VM.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Nov 2018 at 23:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If its not encrypted DVD video ddrescue or dvdisater may help, both have reread functionality.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed ddrescue, but it doesn't seem to do anything. No error msg saying why - it just doesn't generate any output. The available online tutorial is confusing. I just want to create the best image possible of my scratched DVD-R. How do I do this with ddrescue? Thanks for any help...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Try giving the disc a light coat of furniture wax. Sometimes that reduces the scattering at scratch edges.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JVRaines - furniture wax, really now! What brand do you recommend? I do not want to trash my DVD reader - I just want to know how to use ddrescue, seems safer...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by diacad View Post
    JVRaines - furniture wax, really now! What brand do you recommend? I do not want to trash my DVD reader - I just want to know how to use ddrescue, seems safer...
    ddrescue tutorial - https://sumofungus.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/making-backup-copies-of-damaged-dvds-using-ddrescue/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    october262 - That link you supplied to a better tutorial was champion - thanks so much! I was able to use ddrescue and it indeed rescued my scratched DVD with no apparent loss.
    Quote Quote