VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What do you use to timeshift TV broadcasts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by oldfart13
    2 DVD recorders, one with a HDD the other without. Both are running right at the moment but one is recording stuff for friends who don't even have cable TV at their apartment. I have a Dishnetwork PVR but I haven't renewed the PVR function on it after my paid lifetime PVR function was rescinded by Echostar some years back. I don't really need it now anyway....
    Dishplayer ?

Two Yahoo groups that could be use to you

Dishrip:
    Description: Transfering Recorded programs from Satellite DVR's to the PC.
    Currently focused on Dish Network's DishPlayer 7100/7200 and PVR501/508.
    READ YOUR WELCOME MESSAGE BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS.
    Discussions of Piracy, Piracy Technologies and File Sharing are forbidden.
    @http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dishrip/

Or go to the Yahoo groups called http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DishPlayer_Explorer/
    Description:
    Support Area for the DishPlayer Utility Suite:
    DishPlayer Explorer - Browse your DishPlayer Drive
    DishPlayer Video Extractor - Extract recordings from your DishPlayer
    DishPlayer Drive Utilities - Upgrade your drive without losing settings or recordings
    Windows 2000 or XP is required to use these programs.
    Do *not* discuss piracy related topics.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I used to have a Tivo box (the very first model), used for 5 years then the hard drive broke, sent in for replacement (cost me 150$ for 60GB drive !!!), broke again after 6 months.
    Then I bought a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-E85H), works much better, no monthly fee, no phone line and I can cut out commercial before watching or burning DVD.
    The HDD can also be replaced with any ATA HDD out there with same or higher capacity (although the unit will cap at 120GB). Can't do that with a Tivo box as its HDD contains Tivo software (unless you get an image on it first). Use to love Tivo, now I hate it (sorry)
    I am glad the % of DVD recorder and % if PVR are on the same level. I bet the DVD recorder % will eventual rise higher, you only pay once to get the box.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  3. The advantage of the DVR form Dishnetwork or DirecTv for example Vs a Standalone Tivo/Replay/DVD Recorder is no encoding going on when video is being stored, The box just takes that data stream and stores it untouched on the hdd. The others have to take an analog signal and encode it before storing it. Also the HD boxes take the OTA Mpeg and just store it unchanged too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Put me down as another in the "I don't bother" column. Mostly because there's not much on TV these days that I'm all that interested in to begin with.

On the rare occasions that I might need to, I just use a VCR. Cheap, simple, gets the job done, and doesn't require any subscription fees.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What about the internet as another option?
    I use a Pc with analog capture of ota and sometimes a VCR, Will soon get a hdd/dvd recorder (with the smallest hard drive possible)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    What about the internet as another option?
    I use a Pc with analog capture of ota and sometimes a VCR, Will soon get a hdd/dvd recorder (with the smallest hard drive possible)
    I have the Pioneer DVR-531H-s and paid $337 at WAL-MART ... later on the price at WAL-MART dropped to about $297 before they sold out.

The Pioneer DVR-531h-s is a stand alone (or some people say "set top") DVD recorder with a built-in 80GB HDD.

Unfortunately it is no longer available but that is because Pioneer stopped making it for a new replacement is in the works. It is model DVR-640H-s which will have a built-in 160GB HDD.

The Pioneer DVR-640H-s is due out sometime in June 2006 with a MSRP of $399.99 but my guess is that you will be able to get it on-line for as low as $325 - $350

Right now a model that you can buy and one that is at a good price is the Toshiba RD-XS34 which has a built-in 160GB HDD and can be bought for around $320 - $330 if you shop on-line.

All the DVD recorder companies seem to be making the built-in HDD bigger and bigger with each passing production year ... this is actually a good thing as it gives you more recording time. Of course the prices are not really dropping much but they aren't going up either so for the same price as what I paid ... for the 80GB HDD ... you will be able to get (for about the same price) double the HDD for double the recording time and thus double the pleasure. Damn I feel like I'm selling bubble gum now

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Use a website such as PRICEGRABBER.COM to find the lowest on-line price.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. This poll (written by a euro?)has a Major Flaw in that it completely ignores time shifting using a satelite dish.
    With my sat dish I can get canadian channels coast to coast,that's Newfie Time,Atlantic time,Eastern Time,Central Time,Mountain Time,Pacific Time.An U.S channels East and west.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by marshalljames
    This poll (written by a euro?)has a Major Flaw in that it completely ignores time shifting using a satelite dish.
    With my sat dish I can get canadian channels coast to coast,that's Newfie Time,Atlantic time,Eastern Time,Central Time,Mountain Time,Pacific Time.An U.S channels East and west.
    I'm not getting why it completely ignores what you've mentioned - ie time shifting using a satellite dish - as it has the option of "Some other sort of contraption" - surely that's the catch-all?

As it happens, I time-shift by merit (partially) of digital satellite - as it just so happens my digital sat receiver incorporates a proprietary twin-tuner HD based PVR (Sky+).

In terms of the category of the poll, I opted for "Commercial PVR" which is what mine is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm amazed by the number of folks who can find a program to timeshift.

Although I do watch some television I can find nothing to watch most of the time, and certainly nothing that I MUST see.

That's why I have a DVD library.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    Although I do watch some television I can find nothing to watch most of the time, and certainly nothing that I MUST see.
    I'm the same.
    But timeshifting / timeslipping lets me watch that occasional program without commercials.
    It also lets me sift through an hour of local news in as little as 5 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've been watching a lot of the History channels (2) lately along with Biography and A&E channels.

Big advantage of DVRs is watch at my convenience and 30 second commercial skip.

And of course I never watch anything live, because of commercials.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Over 150 of you don't know what timeshifting is??
    It's only been around 28 years............
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've been timeshifting since I bought my first VCR. The ones with the Piano keys and a 1 day 1 event timer capability. I seem to recall paying up to $15 or $20 for one blank tape and around $800 for the VCR.

IMHO the next best thing to come along was the Dishnetwork Dishplayer integrated DVR. Came with a whopping 8Gig or 17Gig drive. But was easily upgradable to 120gig. Then I added the 501 that could hold 35+ hours and then a 721 that could hold 90+ hours and now I'm running a 622 that can hold 200hours SDTV or a lot less HDTV. The last two also have dual tuners.

I've been unable to tolerate live TV for many, many years. And only watch timeshifted content. With a couple of exceptions such as important breaking news and weather warnings.
    Quote Quote