VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How do you test a DVD disc on a PC to determine whether it's been burned as a PAL or NTSC type?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Open one of the vob files with MediaInfo. I find the Text and Tree views the most useful in MediaInfo. If the DVD is PAL, the resolution will probably be 720 x 576. Frame rate should be 25fps.

There are other resolutions allowed for PAL DVD-video, but this is the most common.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Kerry, appreciate the quick reply.

And presumably it will be 720 x 480 for NTSC?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, 720 x 480 is the most common resolution for NTSC DVD-video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    burned as a PAL or NTSC type?
    A disc is never "burned as" NTSC or PAL.....the content on the disc determines video format. It's not like the person who made the disc had a choice between NTSC and PAL......that's not how it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    A disc is never "burned as" NTSC or PAL.....the content on the disc determines video format. It's not like the person who made the disc had a choice between NTSC and PAL......that's not how it works.
    Maybe a wee bit harsh but then we have an OP who has been around here longer than me than does not seem to know the difference between PAL and NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It's not like the person who made the disc had a choice between NTSC and PAL......that's not how it works.
    I know what you mean, but DVD authorings have in properties value for PAL or NTSC to be set so it is a choice that has to be selected. Sure it is only some kind of security for evaluating multiple content, or simply telling the software what format I tend mux together. There cannot be same PAL or NTSC content in the same VTS title etc.

But right, you have something like Muxman, where you do not have to set a PAL or NTSC flag or anything, it does not matter, it just makes VIDEO_TS where video is passed to it, PAL or NTSC mpeg2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Maybe a wee bit harsh but then we have an OP who has been around here longer than me than does not seem to know the difference between PAL and NTSC.
    I'm just making sure he is not confusing video format and region code.

Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I know what you mean, but DVD authorings
    What?
    Quote Quote  
  9. DVD authoring softwares. Happy now?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!