VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to backup my 3d Blu-rays to an external HDD and play them through the usb on my Sony KDL-55w829 but when I do a straight 3D copy using dvdfab 9.1.8.8 (which I use for my DVD backups) it only plays it in 2D. I have also tried playing the 3d backup through my Sony BDP-s5200 but no joy. Do I need a 3D graphics card to copy 3D if I'm just copying to an external HDD? I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX650Ti Boost.
    I have tried ripping it to 3D avi, 3D mkv, 3D wav and 3D mp4 but no joy as my tv says corrupt file or not supported.
    I have also tried using a trial version of MakeMKV but the trial version only does 5mins copy but that doesn't seem to work either.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want my grandchildren using the original blu-rays
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does the sony play bdmv folders or blu-ray m2ts files? Try that by just rip the dvd blu-ray to the hdd. No conversion to avi,mkv,mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All kinds of potential problems here. It's difficult to say which is your specific issue.

1) The Sony simply may not support 3D playback through USB devices.
    2) Whatever format (ISO? You don't say.) you are getting from DVDFab may not be supported via USB, although a different format may work for 3D via USB.
    3) It's somewhat lower quality, but 3D SBS MKV has probably the best chance of working. Some rippers can rip the 3D BluRay directly to MKV using a 3D format that is supposed to work and doesn't lose quality as it's a straight rip without conversion (I don't remember the name of this format, but our user Cornucopia has talked about it), but in reality NOBODY on earth supports it on hardware devices like TVs and media players. It does work on PCs though.

You do NOT need a 3D graphics card to correctly rip a 3D BluRay.
    Quote Quote