VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will there be any diffrences during reencoding in BD Rebuider?

Right now i have old I7 from 2011 http://ark.intel.com/products/48498

During reencoding right now since bout year or maybe less than year i see Rebuilder is pretty much scored speed up. Sometimes even over 60fps.

Price diffrences between I7 and I5 above is double and when i see on online service ppl are buying I5 in 90%. So what i will loose if i will take I5 and not I7?

Money diffrences in this case is 80% price for SSD disk Samsung 256mb with 950mb/s writing and 2100mb/s reading.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't use BD Rebuilder but here's a way you can probably tell if the 8 thread CPU will run it faster than the 4 thread CPU. Start Task Manager and go to the performance tab while converting a video with BD Rebuilder. If you see close to 100 percent CPU usage then the i7 will likely outperform the i5. If you see less than 50 percent, the i7 probably won't outperform the i5.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hyper-Threading may gain you some 20% of speed using x264. The i7-4790 also has higher clocks which might add another 10%. So between 20% and 35% more speed is not unrealistic given there's no bottleneck in your encoding pipeline. Is it worth the price difference? Your decision.

I don't know where you live but in Europe the i7-6700 (Skylake) is about the same price (~300 Euro) as the older i7-4790 (Haswell). The i7-6700K (free multiplier for overclocking) is only ~40 Euro more in case you want to do overclocking. With Skylake you might even have the option of updating to Cannonlake (AVX-512) at some point in the future (though Intel has not yet confirmed if it will be the same socket). The Skylake has higher base clocks, newer architecture, more encoding and decoding options and uses less energy.

Hyper-Threading in a quad-core doesn't do much for tasks like gaming. That's why a lot of people go for the i5 instead of i7.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It also depends on your usage. If you do a lot of Video Editing etc.,
    then the i7 is the way to go. I have a i7 4790K and it is fast CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is little in gain using an I7 over an I5 ... that goes for both gaming and video editing for now as more is being off loaded to the gpu's

The I7 is virtually nothing more than an I5 with hyper threading (additional virtual cores) and a few extra hertz thrown in ... not worth the coin.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, it is worth it to get an i7. The i7 uses hyperthreading. The i5 does not. This makes a difference during video encoding because you have 4 physical cores + 4 for hyperthreading, whereas the i5 can only run 4, with no hyperthreading. I have an i7-4790k in my machine as well. If you can afford an LGA-2011v3 board and an i7-6800k (6-core i7), go for that one. Then just let it run overnight and set it to automatically shut down when complete. If you're worried about overheating, run CoreTemp with it.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!