VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello guys,
    I have a Samsung 4K TV but it can't read DTS codec so I decided to convert it to EAC3 by using FFMPEG but I want to know if there is a way to have the same bitrate and all of the settings (VBR) as the original audio on the converted one.
    I use this command on the command prompt : ffmpeg -i "filename.mkv" -acodec eac3 -ab audio bitrate -map 0:a:audio number "output.eac3".

Sorry for my bad level in English.
    Last edited by Gispah; 2nd Jun 2020 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    thank you for your answer but I want to keep the original audio. How can I do that ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. From your posts it's hard to understand what exactly it is you want. Be more clear.

If you want 2 audio tracks: one eac3 and one the original DTS, try:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "filename.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:a -map 0:s? -c:v copy -c:a:0 eac3 -ab:a:0 640k -c:a:1 copy -c:s copy "output_filename.mkv"
    If you want 1 audio:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "filename.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:s? -c:v copy -c:a eac3 -ab:a 640k -c:s copy "output_filename.mkv"
    Originally Posted by Gispah View Post
    I want to know if there is a way to have the same bitrate and all of the settings (VBR) as the original audio on the converted one.
    It's not. But it wouldn't give you any advantage even if you could do that anyways. Always use higher bitrates if you want to minimize quality loss.

(Is ffmpeg's eac3 encoder even better quality than its ac3 encoder? If not you can use "ac3" instead of "eac3" for even more compatibility.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    From your posts it's hard to understand what exactly it is you want. Be more clear.

If you want 2 audio tracks: one eac3 and one the original DTS, try:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "filename.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:a -map 0:s? -c:v copy -c:a:0 eac3 -ab:a:0 640k -c:a:1 copy -c:s copy "output_filename.mkv"
    If you want 1 audio:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "filename.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:s? -c:v copy -c:a eac3 -ab:a 640k -c:s copy "output_filename.mkv"
    Originally Posted by Gispah View Post
    I want to know if there is a way to have the same bitrate and all of the settings (VBR) as the original audio on the converted one.
    It's not. But it wouldn't give you any advantage even if you could do that anyways. Always use higher bitrates if you want to minimize quality loss.

(Is ffmpeg's eac3 encoder even better quality than its ac3 encoder? If not you can use "ac3" instead of "eac3" for even more compatibility.)
    Hi,
    Thanks for your answer.
    Well sorry I wasn't clear on my question what I want it's only to extract an audio (DTS-HDMA) of an mkv and convert it to EAC3 by keeping the origianl audio settings (the channel, the channel layout and keeping the bitrate ...).
    But lately I have a problem to convert DTS-HDMA 7.1 to EAC3 7.1,ffmpeg downmix to EAC3 5.1.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Gispah
    I want it's only to extract an audio (DTS-HDMA) of an mkv and convert it to EAC3 by keeping the origianl audio settings (the channel, the channel layout and keeping the bitrate ...).
    In AC3 .. the max bitrate standard is 640 Kb/s (equivalent in quality to DTS 1500Kbs).

If you want a eac3 with 'high bitrates' you need encoders (commercials), or employs to lossless encoders like Flac
    Last edited by sekininsha; 3rd Jun 2020 at 18:02.
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sekininsha View Post
    I want it's only to extract an audio (DTS-HDMA) of an mkv and convert it to EAC3 by keeping the origianl audio settings (the channel, the channel layout and keeping the bitrate ...).

In AC3 .. the max bitrate standard is 640 Kb/s (equivalent in quality to DTS 1500Kbs).

If you want a eac3 with 'high bitrates' you need encoders (commercials), or employs to lossless encoders like Flac
    Oh ok, but isn't ac3 max channnel at 5.1 ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. yes .. ac3 only supports 5.1 and 640 kbs ... (that's just an example)

if you want eac3 'high bitrates' and 7.1 .. you need encoders of payment
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sekininsha View Post
    yes .. ac3 only supports 5.1 and 640 kbs ... (that's just an example)

if you want eac3 'high bitrates' and 7.1 .. you need encoders of payment
    What kind of encoders. Can I have the links for it please ?
    Quote Quote