VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.
    Some time ago Potplayer was clean. Later, it includes adware in the installer but you can "decline" it. In latest versions there is no checkbox to disable the adware installation.
    Is there some trick to avoid it?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393452-PotPlayer-now-Adware%21
    you can decline installing the adware.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Better use another player like MPC-BE which is clean by design and will always be

My advice: You should look for the character of the devs and their conviction of the project
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393452-PotPlayer-now-Adware%21
    you can decline installing the adware.
    In latest build I cant decline, there is no such option. After checking install items (main, icons, etc) I get a screen telling me the installer is downloading something (see attached files).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 167.png
Views:	186
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	52731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 168.png
Views:	212
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	52732  

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Better use another player like MPC-BE which is clean by design and will always be

My advice: You should look for the character of the devs and their conviction of the project
    Yes, MPC-CE can be an option to Potplayer. I just got used to using it and I like it (after moving from KMPlayer due to the same reasons, installer crap).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just look up the thread over at doom9. If there is any issue, just report it, then the devs and other users, including me will help you. And the devs are lightning fast in fixing stuff, if there's anything left to fix at all.

There is also a dedicated Video Renderer -> MPC Video Renderer available from the devs. Which works also perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Here is it on videohelp.com:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/MPC-Video-Renderer

The auto link does not link to the Renderer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just tested the latest version.

I have no knowledge of any checkbox but there is an option to 'Decline' or 'Accept' additional software on the next screen. 'Accept' is highlighted but not automatically run. I have not tried to run the install after selecting 'Decline'.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I have not tried to run the install after selecting 'Decline'.
    Good decision, if you want a clean system
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hm.. so it's impossible to skip ad installation in the latest version? Can anyone confirm, that some ad software is installed without option to skip it? If so, it's a bad news.

You can use the latest version without ad, the link is here, or use the portable version, it should be adfree too - link.

flashandpan007 - thanks for your suggestion, MPC-BE is not bad, but the latest adfree version of PotPlayer is much better, few important features for me: borderless window, autohide navigation bar and playlist in window and fullscreen, m3u8/streams/youtube support, don't block the playing file - allow renaming and deleting.

I'll create a new topic for PotPlayer replacement, I think it's the time, but I think the old PotPlayer will be the best for a long time.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 13th Apr 2020 at 14:27. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  11. borderless window, autohide navigation bar -> also in MPC-BE others I don't use

My personal advice, don't ever stick to an old outdated version of any kind of software

Sometimes it is time to move on and look for better programs

-> doom9 thread: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=165890
    Quote Quote  
  12. flashandpan007 - thanks, I'll try it, I didn't know those are already added in MPC-BE. I'm using the latest versions of all my programs, except PotPlayer now, I know it's better to use the latest versions, but PotPlayer has so many feature I need - and the progress in other players is not as fast, e.g. bug reported by me in PotPlayer - fixed in less than 1 day, bug reported by me in VLC, fixed in - 6 YEARS! The problem is, that streams are probably not supported in MPC-BE and it will not be added soon - and progress in VLC is - as I said, sad.

OK, I created the topic:

PotPlayer replacement
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Hm.. so it's impossible to skip ad installation in the latest version? Can anyone confirm, that some ad software is installed without option to skip it? If so, it's a bad news.
    I have done some additional tests and the conclusion is that my antivirus, Kaspersky, blocks the initial download of the adware "options" that the Potplayer installer uses, and then the latter starts the Avast download as the last option. If I deactivate the antivirus I can choose "Decline" regarding the adware.

Name:	Image 192.png
Views:	148
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	52736  

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I simply extract the installer with 7z and use it normally.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I can only repeat - avoid Potplayer
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Bithunter View Post
    If I deactivate the antivirus I can choose "Decline" regarding the adware.
    If you choose "decline", is the main program - PotPlayer installed? Can you install PotPlayer and skip add installation?

Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    I can only repeat - avoid Potplayer
    It's not easy, I can do many things in PotPlayer in seconds, or it's done automatically, in other players I have to search or/and clicking, clicking just to do the same - every time, so it's really annoying.

I have already create a new topic for PotPlayer replacement here.

Is there any standard forum with bug reports and feature requests for MPC-BE? Or that link to doom9 topic is the only place to discuss about it? I found it has more features than I thought, but I still miss some.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just post there, the devs are very active there
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Originally Posted by Bithunter View Post
    If I deactivate the antivirus I can choose "Decline" regarding the adware.
    If you choose "decline", is the main program - PotPlayer installed? Can you install PotPlayer and skip add installation?
    When Kaspersky AV is disabled, yes, I can "decline" and Potplayer gets installed. With KAV active, there is no way to "decline", Potplayer installer just download Avast.
    It depends on where do you get the installer. I've tried to download from CNET, for example, and KAV deletes the installer just after the downloading is finished.

Name:	Image 198.png
Views:	106
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	52737  

Quote Quote  
  19. flashandpan007 - OK, I'll try, I found the tickets at sourceforge.net, it looks the devs are there too.

Bithunter - thanks, so I can still use PotPlayer, but I will be searching for an alternative, it could be worse in the future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PotPlayer installer I have installs version 200513 (1.77.21212) with no bundleware nor adware. I download it from the potplayer.daum.net home page. The only notable thing I do that might be unusual is uncheck the OpenCodec optional feature; I don't have the bandwidth to download an additional component without causing the installer to hang.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i like Potplayer and i'll keep on using it .. just be carefull when installing even when it's an update
    Quote Quote  
  22. Someone reported, that he had no adware page on installation, but adware was installed - the problem was the antivirus program, Kaspersky I guess - it just tried to hide the adware page, but it was even worse - so just try to disable your antivirus for a while (it should be OK with Defender).
    Quote Quote