VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jimcornetet
    Originally Posted by Rich86
    I don't see where you have any "copyright" in this at all? Do you own the play? No - as others have mentioned, the school probably paid a fee for the privilege of offering the performance which most likely did not include filming and selling it afterwards. Have you contacted the owners of the play? The folks who wrote the play? The school that contracted for and put it on? How about the performers (you know, those 15 year old druggies you're whining about).
    It is unfortunate that you migrated to the dark side - and now think you are the mpaa or riaa. You should be ashamed of yourself for turning something good and generous into typical entertaiment industry personal greed.
    I'm working hand in glove WITH the Director/Producer of the Play who PAID $6,000 for the copyright to the Play and we cut a % of sales deal between me and her Theatre Fund. She has LICENSED me to record it.
    So - you have verified that the "director/producer" of the play has the rights to offer a recording of the material for sale? Did her $6,000 give her the right to collaborate with a 3rd party to record and sell performances of it? I was the student treasurer in college - and used to sign the checks for copyright agreements for the drama program - and the contracts seemed to always include a clause that said no performance could be recorded and offered for sale afterwards.
    And what about the actors and actresses in the production - how much are you paying them? Or did someone make them sign agreements that they deserved no royalties for the sale of their performances?
    Yes - it's a snake pit - better that you do the right thing and give the silly things away to the kids parents!

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    several issues have been skipped over and figure heavily into this situation

if she bought the copyright, she owns it and can do whatever she wants, if she licensced the play, she can only do what is stipulated in the licensce contract,

the play is already copyrighted so it is not the OP's to copyright in any form NOT even the DVD form that belongs to hold the copyright

IS this a performing arts HS, if so, most of the legal issues are already ironed out, and do not be long in this discussion
    the schools legal staff will have/should have already seen too all these copyright and performing issues, basiclly any student of a performing arts school has signed away all rights to any income from sale of any school production because it is part of their education

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you own the play?
    Yes...

BTW....the Director/Producer has two Master's Degrees. One in Directing. One in Education. But wait! maybe we do need your "all-knowing" help.....what's your phone#

And what about the actors and actresses in the production - how much are you paying them? Or did someone make them sign agreements that they deserved no royalties for the sale of their performances? Yes - it's a snake pit - better that you do the right thing and give the silly things away to the kids parents!
    What do the Kids get out of this? How about a $50,000 budget for next year's Shows....better costumes, better set-design.... since the % of DVD sales gets put RIGHT BACK into that budget.

Your argument holds no worth....zippo.....worthless keystrokes.....you just want to fight with me... or are trying to piss me off so I go off and get banned or something... I cant figure it out.

That's like saying if I were to put together a Highlight Video of the Basketball Team that won State.... I'm suppose to take the dollars recvd and give it all back to the Student Athletes....

"Here Billy.... here's a cool $100 bill.... great 3point bucket with 15 seconds to go! I'll have more cash for you when I sell more DVDs. Here's another $50 if you take more 3point shots."

yeah, this would fly with the Athletic Director, the School Board and the like.

Search Comp PM
    OK folks - move on. Thread locked on OP's request.

/Mats