VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there folks. This is my first time posting here.

Currently, I’m importing all of my family’s mini-DV tapes to digital. I’m using my dad’s 2011 MacBook Pro with iMovie on it to import the clips. The camcorder I’m using is the Canon VIXIA HV30 with a FireWire cable to import the footage to the computer. For the most part, the import process has been smooth.

However, on some tapes this weird glitch/effect happens, and it’s been hard for me to describe it. It’s like the tapes are split up into sections and everyone the effect happens, the tape acts like a new tape and resets how much footage it has left on there even though the tape has been used to record with before. This glitch has been preventing me from completing the importing process, as I’d like to have sound with these tapes.

The video/audio before the glitch happens is fine, but after it happens, the video imports, but no audio is attached to it. I’ve tried importing using QuickTime while letting the camera play through, no pausing but it didn’t work. I’m at a loss at what to do. I have a YouTube link to show you what the glitch looks like on the camcorder itself. If anyone can help me with this I’d appreciate it. Thank you!

https://youtu.be/yf9skgAyn-Q
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those are breaks in the recording (and possibly the camera was powered down in between.) As you notice, the timecode resets to 0. You have to manually start a new capture every time one of these happens. You cannot record across the break as the timecode is non-continuous.

Best guess -- whoever recorded the tapes wanted to watch a playback and then ran a little beyond the end to make sure they wouldn't overwrite previously recorded material.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Those are breaks in the recording (and possibly the camera was powered down in between.) As you notice, the timecode resets to 0. You have to manually start a new capture every time one of these happens. You cannot record across the break as the timecode is non-continuous.

Best guess -- whoever recorded the tapes wanted to watch a playback and then ran a little beyond the end to make sure they wouldn't overwrite previously recorded material.
    Thank you for explaining it, seems like the most plausible explanation of this effect. Do you think there’s a way to import the footage after the break? I don’t mind using other methods besides iMovie and QuickTime, but if there is another way I’d like to know how.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Pause the tape on the break. Hit capture on your computer, then hit play on the camera. (Most devices will start to capture once the signal is received -- your mileage may vary.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Pause the tape on the break. Hit capture on your computer, then hit play on the camera. (Most devices will start to capture once the signal is received -- your mileage may vary.)
    I’ve tried that on both QuickTime and iMovie but there’s no audio : /

Is there any other software that can help me with this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Rule out the capture by seeing if the audio exists just playing the tape past the break and seeing if the audio plays out the cam's speaker. If so, some variation of the previous suggestion should work. If not, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Rule out the capture by seeing if the audio exists just playing the tape past the break and seeing if the audio plays out the cam's speaker. If so, some variation of the previous suggestion should work. If not, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

Scott
    There’s definitely audio on the tapes. I guess the software I used doesn’t like the breaks on the tapes.
    Quote Quote