VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why the hell is it so hard to rip discs with the english subs for ONLY the foreign conversations? They do it during playback on regular players. The subs only come up for the non-english conversations. Yet, with things like MakeMKV it's all or nothing. Even the torrent releases screw it up all the time. I was ripping the old Sniper movies on DVD and realized this was an issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are looking for "forced subs" generally these are the foreign parts only. Not all DVD producers make them but rather the do a complete subtitles track. Sometimes the reverse which is frustrating for the hard of hearing or for people where the local language is not their mother tongue. You could always edit the complete track. Torrents are illegal for discussion on the site by the way. If you have a disc that plays on a standalone and does indeed display foreign parts only then MakeMKV should display all subtitles available on the disc. In some instances the foreign parts might be burnt into the video, in this case they don't exist as a subtitle track but are part of the video
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    You are looking for "forced subs" generally these are the foreign parts only. Not all DVD producers make them but rather the do a complete subtitles track. Sometimes the reverse which is frustrating for the hard of hearing or for people where the local language is not their mother tongue. You could always edit the complete track. Torrents are illegal for discussion on the site by the way. If you have a disc that plays on a standalone and does indeed display foreign parts only then MakeMKV should display all subtitles available on the disc. In some instances the foreign parts might be burnt into the video, in this case they don't exist as a subtitle track but are part of the video
    That's not the case with Sniper 2/3. The disc has 2 English sub tracks and both are complete. Nothing shows without one of them enabled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So that would indicate the producers of that DVD didn't make a "forced" subtitle (foreign parts only). So it's either an edit job or a search on the various subtitle internet sites for a forced subtitle only..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have used makemkv before. I don't remember makemkv provides me with the subtitle options to let me select.
    Base on your problem, on one hand, it might be related with your DVD disc. Change another disc to have a try.
    On the other hand, use another DVD ripper. There are multiple DVD rippers out there, which will list out all the subtitle tracks for you to choose from.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If there are only sub tracks with all the dialog, then the foreign language ones are marked as forced within those subs. It does happen that foreign language subs have their own subtitle tracks, but you're saying that's not true with these Sniper movies.

I don't use MakeMKV, but you can pretty easily extract a subtitle track with just the forced subs. I don't know in what format you want the subs, but DVDSubEdit has the ability to extract Forced Subs as either SUP files, or it can OCR to SRT subs (which you should check carefully afterwards). Go File->Open Full Domain and then check the box as in the picture below before doing the OCR (bottom right) and saving, or saving as SUP.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDSubEdit.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	48808  

Quote Quote