VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want a HDD DVD recorder so i can record programs/films off my sky+ that i have recorded.I've done it before but that was many years ago using a Panasonic DMR-EX98V DVD/HDD/VHS Recorder with a scart lead,anyone knows today equivalent? cheap would be nice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the first thing you need to do is check the output connections on the Sky+ box. The later models do not come with a scart connector particularily if you have a Sky+HD box

If the box has a scart connector then it is a straight forward process since AFAIK all dvd recorders still come with a scart input
    Quote Quote  
  3. Will CGMS-A be a problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Not on the channels I have transferred over scart from my SkyHD box(not Sky+HD). But no doubt some channels will be encrypted such as premier/ppv films and ppv sports events
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sky certainly used to encrypt 'Box Office' content such as films and sporting events such as WWE. I could still capture WWE but never tried with films. That was back in the SD days.

My SkyHD box has both scart and HDMI outputs connected and, again, no issues recording those channels over scart I have tried. But there may well be some and HDMI is encrypted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the double post. The topic does not appear to be directly updating after the post ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well the first thing you need to do is check the output connections on the Sky+ box. The later models do not come with a scart connector particularily if you have a Sky+HD box

If the box has a scart connector then it is a straight forward process since AFAIK all dvd recorders still come with a scart input
    Yes it has a scart connector at the back.I went into currys but all their dvd recorders used HD no scart output so i'm looking for a model with scart output
    ideally at £100 to £150.
    what does AFAIK mean?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Sky certainly used to encrypt 'Box Office' content such as films and sporting events such as WWE. I could still capture WWE but never tried with films. That was back in the SD days.

My SkyHD box has both scart and HDMI outputs connected and, again, no issues recording those channels over scart I have tried. But there may well be some and HDMI is encrypted.
    what DVD recorder do have you? and how much it cost you? and where did you get it from? (if you don't mind)
    Quote Quote  
  9. AFAIK = as far as I know
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    AFAIK = as far as I know
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. After searching online i only can find second hand models,new recorders only have HD output (unless i'm looking in the wrong place) I rather a shop than a website but i'm desperate so i'm willing to buy off a website
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

what DVD recorder do have you? and how much it cost you? and where did you get it from? (if you don't mind)
    It's a Sony. Sorry but can not read the Model No but it has a 250 gb HDD and DVD recording.

Methinks you may confuse Output with Input. Even this recorder has a HDMI (Upscaling) output but the input from my sat receiver (not Sky in this case) is via scart

The scart Output from my Sky box goes in to a SD capture device. So although the tv signal may be HD the ultimate output is SD. To capture HD you can forget about a dvd recorder since DVD is SD. There may be stand-alone units that do record HD but you would not be able to make dvds from these.

Did you answer my initial question of whether you have a SD box or a HD box ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

It's a Sony. Sorry but can not read the Model No but it has a 250 gb HDD and DVD recording.

Methinks you may confuse Output with Input. Even this recorder has a HDMI (Upscaling) output but the input from my sat receiver (not Sky in this case) is via scart

The scart Output from my Sky box goes in to a SD capture device. So although the tv signal may be HD the ultimate output is SD. To capture HD you can forget about a dvd recorder since DVD is SD. There may be stand-alone units that do record HD but you would not be able to make dvds from these.

Did you answer my initial question of whether you have a SD box or a HD box ?
    yes i'm confuse lol thanks for help.I have a HD box,i can watch sky via scart and/or HD so if i need a HD lead for something i can just watch sky via scart and use the HD lead on something else
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Ok. Ideally you should be using the HD ie HDMI lead from the Sky+HD box to your HD tv.

The scart connector on the Sky+box would then connect to a dvd HDD/recorder which has a scart input. That same dvd HDD/recorder might also have a hdmi output - it seems the ones you have seem do - which can connect back to the HD tv.

The only doubt is if the Sky+ box has circuity to cancel a signal when both scart and hdmi are simultaneously connected. My Sky box does not. But I can not speak for later boxes. Obviously, if you are connecting a Sky+HD box to a tv via scart you are not getting HD on your tv
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Ok. Ideally you should be using the HD ie HDMI lead from the Sky+HD box to your HD tv.

The scart connector on the Sky+box would then connect to a dvd HDD/recorder which has a scart input. That same dvd HDD/recorder might also have a hdmi output - it seems the ones you have seem do - which can connect back to the HD tv.

The only doubt is if the Sky+ box has circuity to cancel a signal when both scart and hdmi are simultaneously connected. My Sky box does not. But I can not speak for later boxes. Obviously, if you are connecting a Sky+HD box to a tv via scart you are not getting HD on your tv
    I understand,thanks!
    Quote Quote