VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From my understanding, Studio 8 uses constant bitrate when compressing an avi or mpeg to fit on a dvdr. I would like to use Studio 8 to capture and edit - create transitions and menus - but use another application such as dvdshrink, instant copy, dvd2one, etc. to compress the resulting file to fit onto a dvdr.

Is this possible or are these programs only for dvd to dvdr?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can't speak for any product other than DVDShrink, but yes, it can work with individual files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Studio 8 has worked well for me for capturing and editing. But you can not compress the captured video by the likes of DVD Shrink. You'd need a different class of software altogether. Firstly, you'd capture in AVI format. One hour of video would take about 13 GB of space on the hard drive. Then after editing, you would save you save it as a new AVI file. You need another 13 GB of HD space for that. Then for compressing (it is actually called rendering, or encoding), you need one of the following:

TMPGEnc
    Cinema Craft Encoder (CCE)
    Main Concept

All of the above are very good. The resulting file would be an "mpg" file. You need to use the right kind of settings to get a VCD, SVCD, or DVD compatible mpg file. The file size would varry depending on the bit rate setting.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote