VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have heard pro and con not to put another CD or DVD on the Same IDE channel as a DVD burner? ( In my case a Sony DRU-500A) It would be nice if I could because my Lite on CD Burner is a lot faster on CDs. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a DVD burner but I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD burner on the secondary IDE for several months w/o problems (although I just switched DVD-ROMs and I get a message about conductor cable not installed - but it doesn't affect performance)
    I have an ABIT KR7A mb and the manual said not to put a slower device onthe same channel with a faster device because it would hurt performance of the faster device (i.e ATA33 DVD-ROM with a ATA133 hard disk)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD burner (Pioneer 104) on the same channel as my CD burner with no problems. I had a dvd player and the cd burner on the same channel before with no problems either.

If you try it and you get errors or can't burn, pull the cd burner out and troubleshoot. Otherwise there isn't any general problem with two atapi devices on the same channel. It's only a problem (as csaag said) if you put an IDE hard drive on the same channel that you see the problem -- the hard drive is dragged down to ATA33 or whatever mode the CD/DVD burner is running at (some people even run their burners in PIO mode for some compatibility reason -- but I don't know why or when that would be appropriate)
    Quote Quote