VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try booting CD or floppy on old PC with CD set to first boot device. If it boots to Windows on hard drive and doesn't boot to CD or floppy, the CD and floppy are not bootable. Simple as that. A bootable disk is required to boot, and a bootable Windows disk is required if you want to boot to and install from CD. What is meant by "I placed the w2k installation disk and it booted the OS?" Did it boot to CD and initiate setup, or did it boot normally to Windows which would mean CD isn't bootable? As Nelson37 states you need to make more clear statements to make any meaningful help possible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Des, I appreciate your comments. However, you should take your whiney, dumbass crap somewhere else, I'm not in the mood. Your input did not take one step towards solving this problem, mine has, this is what I do and BY GOD I am one of the best at this that you will ever find. So STFU and get the hell out of my way.

To the OP, you filled out your profile so you get one more chance, just one.

Now just WTF does PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT ALL DRIVES BUT CD AND FLOPPY mean to you?
    Does it mean changing the boot order, or does it mean YANK THE GOD DAMN CABLES OFF???

If you have the answers, WTH are you bugging us for, fix it yourself if you know what should be done. Otherwise, Do what you are told, exactly what you are told, and report what happens, exactly what happens. If you do this, your problem will get resolved. Continue deciding for yourself how to get this done and you are welcome to have at it.

A connected hard drive with no OS is SUPPOSED to give a disk boot failure.

A windows install CD, of any kind or version, WILL NOT boot into windows as opposed to setup with no hard drive attached to the system.

So either you are nuts or you have screwed up somehow.

Zero functional progress has been made because of your failure to follow basic instructions. The boot status of your installation CD is still in question because you think you know how to properly test this. Yank the freaking cables to ALL but the CD and Floppy. Take any disk OUT of the floppy. Move it at least three feet from the PC. Put the install disk in the CD drive, and boot. Describe fully and completely the sequence of events that follows. Fix the boot sequence that you FUBAR'd first to show the CD.

If you so much as mention using that HD utility disk again I will mark you as a certifiable idiot and write you off completely as a total waste of my time and energy.

And if anybody else feels like commenting on my attitude well fine and dandy but I repeat, I am really, really, really not in the mood, it has been a very bad last couple of days. So Give me a reason to rip somebody Else a new one. I'm still holding the platter that was handed to me with my ass on it, by an illiterate with no training and little education, and I paid for the platter AND the blunt instrument my local officials used to hack off my ass.

Your regular broadcast should resume shortly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Des, I appreciate your comments. However, you should take your whiney, dumbass crap somewhere else, I'm not in the mood.
    Actually you're whining, and you want to take all of your toys and go home.

And if anybody else feels like commenting on my attitude well fine and dandy but I repeat, I am really, really, really not in the mood, it has been a very bad last couple of days.
    Hey, I'm sorry you've had a bad week. However, that is not my fault nor the fault of anyone else here.

I hope you are able to enjoy the long weekend and that this coming week brings better times.

Cheers,

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nelson: et al.

I've had to use the OEM Install Utility disc on a bad Windows install in the past - it was the only thing that could get the drive properly formatted. Normally, all you have to do is drop in the Windows install disc (XP or 2K) and set the boot order to CD, HDD, etc., and you get an install. That said - it's not always a bad thing to have (especially if you're going from Win98 to XP).

I have had issues with Western Digital drives for a new install, but these were usually in getting the drive set up as a primary hard disc on an IDE channel. Heck, that's why I normally buy Seagate drives these days - fewer headaches.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem trying to boot into a 160gb Maxtor SATA, but with XP Pro. I also unplugged almost everything, and just couldnt get anything to boot, it was just freaking wierd.

I put back the old drive, searched for WHY answers, made floopy boot disks, changed the boot.ini, blah, blah, blah, it just wouldnt work. So, I just gave up, I was ready to go postal, and throw that damn hd out the window so f**king far!

End result, I installed to a 100gb reman ATA (the old OS drive), then formatted the SATA drive as a boot disk (using Maxblast utility). transfered all files to the SATA drive, and it worked, for just a little bit. Kept getting other issues of apps not being where they should be, etc. Then It wouldnt defrag further than 15%, and sometime it would just lock up for nothing. So I said, back to the ATA drive. Another fresh install and leaving it at that. I have two other 250gb SATA that are used for storage only. ENOUGH!

Gerry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is an update on my progress. I will try to be as explicit as possible in my explanations. I tried ALL the steps you experienced builders offered, but was still unsuccesful. The assumption that some of you had that my OS CD is not bootable is correct. On new pc - when the CD-ROM is the only device hooked up, and all cables are disconnected from MB, devices & PSU, it gives the Disk Boot Failure error when attempting to install OS. When inserted into my old pc, it does not boot into setup. It goes straight into Windows. And yes, the 1st bootable device was set to CD/DVD ROM Please read on if interested. I called Gigabyte tech support and these are the steps I was given to follow. Some of these steps have already been mentioned by some of you. For this MOBO at least, this is what should be done step-by-step. Some of it may not be worded correctly, but hey, the guy I spoke to over the phone didn’t speak the best english.
    1. 1. Connect only one SATA drive
      2. Connect CD/DVD drive *ensure it is set to master
      3. In Bios
      > Load Fail Safe Defaults – YES
      > Load Optimized Defaults – YES
      > Integrated Peripherals, choose Serial-ATA RAID Config [Press Enter]
      a) NV SATA RAID function [Enabled]
      b) NV SATA 1 Primary Raid [Disabled]
      c) NV SATA 1 Secondary Raid [Disabled]
      d) NV SATA 2 Primary Raid [Disabled]
      e) NV SATA 2 Secondary Raid [Disabled]
      > Advanced Bios Features
      a) Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter] (ensure the SATA drive is 1st one listed.) [Press Esc]
      b) First Boot Device [CD ROM]........Press F10 and save settings.
      4. Put in OS installation CD, power off and back on. Windows installer should come up.
      5. SATA drivers must be installed via floppy on this motherboard. When you see F6 during the install process, press it. You will need to place the disk in when Windows prompts you if you want to load the manufacturer’s disc. Press S
      The installation continues.

I changed the Bios as described and proceeded to install w2k. It didn’t boot.
    I then tried this with a XP Pro SP2 disc and it boots! THIS MAY BE THE CATCH. Being the hardware noob that I am, I may not have been entirely accurate on a previous message. I have done a full install using this disc, but it was a full install over Windows 98 eons ago. I figured, this being an original CD, that it would boot up just fine. This I’m sure has a lot to do with my problems and why your advice has not worked. I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out, including you Nelson37 No disrespect intended.

One more snag that I’ve run into is step 5 above. When I place the floppy in and press S, Windows doesn’t recognize the device. It cannot complete installation. The floppy spins for a little bit, but that’s about it. I tried this twice; once from the unzipped files from the .exe file of the MOBO’s CD and another from the website. I’ll leave it up to you to determine what the problem may be. Floppy drive? FDD Controller? Failing Diskette? FDD Cable? – it’s brand new. Something else? The only other thing I'm guessing it may be is the goofiness the WD Utility CD may have caused according to Nelson37. The problem is that I have not been able to boot off diskettes to undo the formatting the utilities disc did.

The Floppy drive works fine on my old pc, as far as I know. ie. I can save and transfer files to and from it. I can format disks. I created the bootable discs off the .exe boot download files (which you know from previous posts, I was unable to boot with). I placed the unzipped SATA drive files created off the .exe file I got off the website on a floppy. I did the same off the MOBO CD, hoping the downloaded file was corrupt somehow.

If I have not been clear on something, please let me know. I'm hoping this thing is coming to a close.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  7. Des, **** off. You have contributed nothing. I have no tolerance for dumbasses such as yourself. You are a waste of space and time. Unlike many of your kind, I do not think that such as you should be prevented from sucking my air but they really should be taught to avoid cluttering up the path of those of us who wish to get things done.

Now, to the OP.

If the Win2k CD does not boot, why would you continue to attempt an install? No boot, no install. Notice the PERIOD at the end of that sentence? No boot, no install. PERIOD. That is why it was important to verify that the CD does or does not boot. That is why I told you that if it does not boot you are dead in the water. Note that attempting to boot from a installation disk that is KNOWN to be faulty could very well have unpredictable consequences for any hard drives attached to the PC. Note that it is unclear which disk you actually used, before the XP SP2 disk did boot correctly. The CD for the Win2k install has been damaged since the last time you used it, assuming that is in fact the disk to which you referred.

When you refer to using this Win2k disk in the other PC and you state "it boots into Windows", this is the hard drive booting, the CD is totally ignored BECAUSE IT WILL NOT BOOT. Pull the disk out of the CD and the exact same thing will happen. If you do this while making no other changes, this should indicate to you that that particular disk is not involved whatsoever in the boot process.

The Gigabyte instructions are damn near exactly what I and many others have told you to do. The RAID settings are basically controller on, but no array. As I described earlier, and as it was probably set up before you messed with it. The manual would probably have told you the exact same thing, probably in better English and on a printed page.

Now you need to confirm that the floppy drive does in fact work in this PC. My guess would be that you have the cable on backwards. Make sure and have several floppies handy as most operations on a disk from a drive with the cable reversed will destroy the floppy disk.

To test this, pay attention. Remove ALL cables from ALL drives EXCEPT the one being tested. Take a floppy. Make sure it will boot on a different PC. Insert it into the suspect floppy drive, check the BIOS boot order, and test to boot. Double check all pins on the cable for correct and full insertion, many drives it is easy to miss a row or the last set of pins. The old joke is that the red stripe is always on the left. Always next to the power, also, EXCEPT for many floppy drives where the stripe is AWAY from the power. But it is still on the left, you are just looking at the wrong side. The stripe is often identified by a number 1, or a small triangle icon on the corner of the cable interface on the drive.

It is not very often I need to verify correct floppy drive and installation. Since we have spent three pages verifying that your CD does not boot, shall we try to get this one done somewhat more efficiently?

Oh, I forgot. The HD utility. You stated you had fdisked before, on this PC, after using it. If you moved the floppy drive around then the cable is almost certainly not connected right. I believe that you violated my clear instruction and installed that godawful utility yet more one time, I guess expecting a different result. Then I'll bet you messed with the floppy drive and that is why you can not fdisk. Un-mess whatever you did, verify a bootable floppy, verify the floppy with the drivers on it can be read. Insert disk, type DIR, press enter. If you do not see the filename of the driver, this will be your next project.

Verify floppy operation. Verify driver file readibility. Fdisk. Now you either need a new install disk or to use the XP disk, though since XP is individually activated you will not be able to legally use a previously installed disk.

The disk you have that fails to boot can not be used for an install. Attempting to do so is a complete waste of time, and will confirm the diagnosis of you I mentioned in the last post.

Since I really have no more patience for your hiding of critical information, and since I have carefully, fully, and completely spelled out what it is you need to do, You should be able to handle this all on your own. Refer back to previous posts as necessary. Read Twice, Do Once.

I EXPECT you to screw up. I EXPECT you not to follow instructions. I EXPECT you to fail to mention critically important pieces of information.

Surprise me.

I fully expect more questions about why the install will not work, with several pages of question and answer, before you finally reveal that you never did remove the HD Utility partition and create a new one. I just bought a nice, new monitor, it will be a shame to have to put my fist clean through it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I were you, I would take the Gigabyte motherboard back and get an ASUS.
    My bother had the same problem with his computer when he built it using a Gigabyte board. No Floppy drive (tried three, even a new one $15), no CD/DVD support, no ntldr. Took the Gigabyte back and got the ASUS which saw his SATA II drive as plug and play, formatted with the WD Lifeguard disc and installed Windows 2000 with no problem.

I have a feeling that you formatted the drive wrong (as storage drive instead of boot drive) and your MB can't set the drive up right. Everything I've found on the internet says not to activate Raid since you are not using Raid and that you don't need Raid drivers.

I thought you told us earlier that the Windows 2000 disc tried to install on a PATA drive.

I moved the PATA drive with w2k from my old PC into the new one, and attempted a clean re-install. I was not given the option of what drive to install the OS on. It would only install onto itself.
    That's because the Windows 2000 installation can't find the other bootable hard drive. Either it is not formatted as a bootable drive or BIOS doesn't have it activated or both.

Since the Windows 2000 CD tried to install on the PATA drive then we know the CD is bootable. It is just not bootable on this PC with the SATA drive.

If it didn't try to install on the PATA drive then I would suspect that the Windows 2000 disc was a bootleg disc since Windows 2000 discs are bootable CDs.

Quote Quote  
  9. One more thing. If you think you have created a bootable disk, but it does not boot, then it is quite likely that you have NOT, repeat NOT, created a bootable disk. This is general information, not just for you. Re-read previous 3 pages and then come back and read this post 3 to 5 times. Then read it again.

Most would say it is highly likely you have not followed correct procedure to make a bootable disk, and I can positively GUARANTEE you have NOT followed correct procedure to verify that the floppy disk either DOES, or DOES NOT, boot. This part, IS just for you.

So once again we are back to we don't know diddly until YOU follow proper procedure and verify that disk. Damn, this sounds familiar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nelson37, ok, just take a few deep breaths. D-E-E-E-P. D-E-E-E-E-P.
    Alright. Better now. I agree with your frustration, though my week must not have been quite as exasperating as yours.

Many people seem to not get one of the 1st tenents of Troubleshooting: "Isolate the problem section." And then there's: "Compare by changing only 1 variable at a time."
    [edit] oh yeah, and: "Verify sections as valid, Alone and/or with a Known Good."

Time will tell what happens here...

Hope you all AT LEAST have a good holiday!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Neither the hard drive nor the motherboard are the problem. Failure to boot to CD on both systems is positive confirmation the CD is not bootable as Nelson37 notes. Read the "Bottom line" part of my first 5/25 post on page 2, and either get a bootable install disk or do 1 of the 2 suggestions in part 2 of that "Bottom line" segment.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Des, **** off. You have contributed nothing. I have no tolerance for dumbasses such as yourself. You are a waste of space and time.
    I am sorry you feel this way.

Enjoy your weekend.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that missing NDLR message could be as simple as a thumb drive i9n a USB port, or a SD card in an SD reader slot......anyone think of that???
    Quote Quote  
  14. I expect people to ignore things and do silly things if they try and fix the computer themselves.

I have a Dell here that the owner tried to fix himeself. The compalint was beeps, no display.

Ok turn it on, wait a few seconds, turns itself off, no beeps.
    start looking, CPU heatsink had been pulled and no put back properly. Only one side fastened. Apply heat sink compund after cleaning both surfaces.

No turn off, no beeps.
    Pull CPU , memory, PCIe video card and test in another motherboard using Dells power supply. Ok display etc.

So bad Motherboard for sure now.

However I suspect that when it didn't work he started changing jumpers too. And since it is a Dell who has a manual showing where they go. Not the first time I've seen that jumper change thing. Why anybody would think a working computer that has stopped working would be fixed by changing a jumper(s) from properly set to whatever is beyond me.

So as a part of trouble shooting I suggest to all change one thing and then change it back and keep a written record.

chesterfield
    I thought about it but a new setup would be unlikely to have that problem. and Boot order in the bios should also avoid that problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This issue has been resolved. It was the floppy drive all along. It wasn't functioning 100%
    The floppy drive works fine on my old pc, as far as I know. ie. I can save and transfer files to and from it. I can format disks. I created the bootable discs off the .exe boot download files (which you know from previous posts, I was unable to boot with). I placed the unzipped SATA drive files created off the .exe file I got off the website on a floppy. I did the same off the MOBO CD, hoping the downloaded file was corrupt somehow.
    I completed the installation with another floppy drive. What I learned was, if a part appears to be functioning, it may not be 100%
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what did you do so other users with the same hardware might know how to fix the same problem? Load the Sata drivers off of the MB floppy and run the Windows 2000 installation disc?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why was there failure to boot to CD if floppy drive was the problem? You may still have some unresolved problems, but it's good the install succeeded anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why the CD does not boot is still unresolved. Are all w2k CD's bootable? The CD has some scratches, but they don't appear bad enough.
    So what did you do so other users with the same hardware might know how to fix the same problem? Load the Sata drivers off of the MB floppy and run the Windows 2000 installation disc?
    By this time I was so frustrated that I attempted to install XP. It booted off the CD, and the installation got as far as the SATA drivers installation portion, when it choked. I, thinking the floppy drive was fine since it worked in my old computer, "see my previous post" didn't give it a second thought that it indeed was a failing floppy drive. I placed another floppy drive into my old old pc with a bootable diskette, and it booted right up into setup. I put the floppy drive in the new computer and was able to continue with installing the SATA drivers and finish installing the OS
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why the CD does not boot is still unresolved. Are all w2k CD's bootable?
    If it's an original W2K disc. If it's slipstreamed to SP4, you'll need to make a bootable CD. Just putting the downloaded files onto a CD will not make it bootable.

You can make a bootable CD with NERO. There are guides on how to do this. Since you have another working W2K PC, it shouldn't be hard to do...

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297

http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately just simply making a bootable CD with Nero won't work because it boots to DR DOS. Such CD will boot, but the "Can't be run in DOS" error will result when attempt is made to execute setup.exe. I even tried using a Win98 startup floppy for DOS using Nero, but results were same. By far the easiest and best way to make a bootable CD where setup can be run is the free download of nLite I suggested earlier in this thread. The DarrellS suggested guides will likely work too, but nLite makes it as simple as a mouse click to check appropriate boxes for boot option, service packs, etc. There's even a vLite for doing same in Vista from the same site.

Note too drive space above 137 GB will not be seen on either 200 GB drive until SP4 is installed which is another reason I suggested slipstreamed SP4 earlier in thread. I don't know if repartition and reformat will be necessary after SP4 is installed if OP used full disk space for his install, but he may want to test whether reformat is necessary before installing all apps in case it is to avoid wasting much time and effort.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never used a floppy to boot for a Win 2K install. never.

Always set the boot order CD>HDD>floppy in BIOS

The only error that I've had with Win 2K install was with Western Digital HDD not being seen as the primary/master HDD.

It took reading the HDD manual, and formatting it properly with Western Digital's software ( = reason #48 to not purchase Western Digital hard drives )
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by bevills1
    Unfortunately just simply making a bootable CD with Nero won't work because it boots to DR DOS. Such CD will boot, but the "Can't be run in DOS" error will result when attempt is made to execute setup.exe. I even tried using a Win98 startup floppy for DOS using Nero, but results were same. By far the easiest and best way to make a bootable CD where setup can be run is the free download of nLite I suggested earlier in this thread. The DarrellS suggested guides will likely work too, but nLite makes it as simple as a mouse click to check appropriate boxes for boot option, service packs, etc. There's even a vLite for doing same in Vista from the same site.

Note too drive space above 137 GB will not be seen on either 200 GB drive until SP4 is installed which is another reason I suggested slipstreamed SP4 earlier in thread. I don't know if repartition and reformat will be necessary after SP4 is installed if OP used full disk space for his install, but he may want to test whether reformat is necessary before installing all apps in case it is to avoid wasting much time and effort.
    There is a procedure you have to go through to make a slipstreamed disc bootable properly. I have done it for Win2K and XP and they work just like originals. Part of the process includes extracting the microsoft boot from the original disc and specific settings. Tutorials on the web.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI: I received the exact same message on a windows install boot - yesterday.

The culprit: Boot Order!

set the boot order to CD, HDD, etc (no floppy). and the disc booted and installed fine.

If you're using a slipstreamed disc, it's not quite right.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I said those guides for which DarrellS gave links should work, but nLite just makes it much easier which is what my point was.
    Quote Quote  
  25. ALL windows installation CD's are bootable. If it does not boot, it is not a windows installation CD. That does not necessarily mean that the CD can not be used to install Windows files. It does indicate that it has been either damaged or modified in some way. If someone modified it, that individual may, or may not, have known what the hell they are doing.

I refer to such items as the "New, Improved, Super Whizzo 3000." It might work, or might not, it might be better than standard, it might not. The only thing you know, for certain, is that the standard item fits in the category of the Known Good, whereas the Super Whizzo 3000 does not.

If you want to boot from the CD, then you have to tell the computer to do what you want. If someone seems to know enough to install their own OS and hard drive, I just assume they know enough to set the boot order.

Is anyone in their right mind actually suggesting that the OP attempt to create a slipstreamed, bootable, installation CD? If so, I want some of what you are smoking. As an excercise, AFTER his installation is done, sure. But to make it in order to get the PC working, What planet are you on and how much time do you have?

It can be done and is not that bad, nothing against this guy, he may be a brain surgeon or an expert soybean farmer. About PC's, He don't know that he don't know. Hey, my mechanic always tells me he's gonna chain the hood of my car shut and I won't know it for 6 months. Don't feel bad.

This is not that hard, folks, set the HD controller up properly and press F6 and put the disk with drivers on it, I tell everybody now just install both of them, course they have to make their own floppy and the drivers are often in different directories. Explaining to folks how to identify the correct driver is a hassle, get them all and install them all and then you do not have to worry about which controller they are using.

Put on SP4 and expand the drive. I use W2K a lot on my home systems, looked at making the slipstream disk but I gotta get the drivers anyway, just not worth the hassle.

Booting from a floppy for a windows install is OK, just make DAMN SURE the floppy was created with the IDENTICAL version of windows, service pack and all. Booting from the installation CD simply removes this issue entirely. No benefit, servere possiblity of FUBAR, don't use a boot floppy unless absolutely necessary. I have had old CD drives that would read, but not boot from, a copy of an installation CD which is confirmed bootable. Haven't seen one like that for a few years.

The customized HD format and partition softwares are quite simply Bad News. Haven't needed them since the BIOS expansion days of the 32MB barrier. The equivalent most people here would understand would be Codec Packs, and bad ones, at that. Avoid at all costs.

To the OP - that floppy used to be Known Good in the original PC, where it worked. It left this category the moment it was unplugged. It was not Known Bad on the old PC, even though it did not work. Put it back on the PC where it used to work, test, confirm.

Those who know Robert Heinlein's concept of the Fair Witness (something like a notary), think like this. "What color is that house?" "It is white on this side" "Didn't you just drive by the front on your way here, not 10 minutes ago?" "You did not ask me what color the front of the house was 10 minutes ago. Is that your current question?" This is the mindset of the PC technician.

Customers do silly things

One of my favorite was the customer whose mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped working. Nobody touched it, all said. I guess that ALL the pins on BOTH ps2 connectors suddenly receded from the holes, rotated themselves horizintally at a 90 degree angle, and mashed themselves flat. Some idiot tried, real hard, to put them in backwards. Small flatblade and about 15 minutes, and having done it before, all was OK.

Or this lady "I think water may have gotten into my monitor" "Why would you think that?" "Well there is a plant shelf right above it and I think I may have watered it too much" "Do you think it leaked into the monitor?" "Well I watched the water run off the shelf into the monitor, through the grate on top of the monitor, quite a bit of water" "What did you do then?" "Well, I turned it on" "Did you activate the smoke chips?" I shit you not, this woman actually, truly stated "Oh, is it supposed to smoke like that?" "Turn it off and unplug it". There was considerable delay in getting that last statement out. God, that was funny.

Or the lady who was trying to read a floppy disk, we had some trouble over the phone getting started, when she giggled like a dolphin and said " My light's not lit." I certainly agreed, though she was talking about the activity light on the drive.

I am up to my 11th service call in 15+ years where I have gone in and Dynamically Utilized the Master Button. I turned it on. As an independent, I don't charge for this unless it is a doctor, lawyer, or politician. Working for others, I have had to charge up to $115.00 to go in and turn the PC on. For little old ladies and the clueless, I usually fib that I have adjusted their Johnson Framistats and all is OK, because of all the lightning around here make sure and turn it off when not using, indicating the Dynamically Utilized Master Button, and then offhandedly mention that, of course, the same button turns it on again. No charge folks, call me next time you have a problem.
    Quote Quote