VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,
    this is not butt-kissing, but I just wanted to say that I tried your VHS to VCD hack you had listed on that multipage radeon posting some days ago and it worked! Nice quality captures and file not too big either. Thanks very much.
    For those of you still searching, here are my notes from the posting:
    "I use MMC 7.1 and the adjustments are easy. First you have to create a custom mpeg1 setting under the digital vcr tab in recording quality. On the first screen I named mine VCD and used VCD for the description. Second screen set the size to 352x240 and check mpeg1. Third screen do not change anything. Fourth screen set the bit rate at constant and slide the scale down to 1.15 (doesn't matter because this can be changed later). Set the motion quality to 99 (or whatever your cpu can handle). Now click finish.

Next step is to hack the registry. This is where the fun begins. Run regedit and search CPU LOAD. Hit F3 until you get to the part of the registry that has the keys for your new VCD mpeg1 setting you just created. I have to hit F3 once to get here. Once here you have alot of flexibility but the important thing is to change the vcd key from 0 to 1. This allows you to burn your capture in Nero as vcd compliant.

After you have done this you can go back to MMC 7.1 and make adjustments as necessary. For example it will be now possible to increase the bit rate beyond the 1150000 vcd standard and still burn a vcd compliant capture in Nero. "
    Quote Quote  
  2. just an fyi - follow the link in my sig ...

I automated the registry changes for that method
    your pal,
    Stinky
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks unstuck2 - it really works. I've found that 352x480 is a sweet spot for my captures. It makes things razor sharp and happen to play fine on my DVD player with no subsequent encoding. Mt results are getting better every day as I continue to tweak.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey Next, are you using 352x480 for XVCD? What bitrate do you use at this resolution to keep out any blockiness?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Next? your capturing at 352x480 ? cool! I'm going to have to try that!

your like the Thomas Edison of MMC 7.x always inventing

keep me updated!

-Stinky

Quote Quote  
  6. The 352x480 really sharpens up the picture - without an increase in file size (CBR). Just use your typical bit rates for captures for starters. My DVD players do not seem to mind the odd resolutions and play the XVCD fine (Apex). This may not hold true for other players though.

You can capture with or without the deinterlacing checked in MMC 7.1. With deinterlacing checked your playback on a PC will not have the comb effect. I haven't noticed a difference between the two on my DVD playback. I generally capture without deinterlacing because I feel it is less stress on the CPU. But MMC 7.1 will do the deinterlacing on the fly if you would like it to.

Like I said the picture is really sharp. For example text on the screen has razor sharp edges. The smaller details are really sharp as well. Objects that appeared less defined than the original source now appear sharp and significantly closer to the original. This increase in quality is evident throughout the capture.

You still have to play around with VBR vs CBR. I'm finding letter box captures do much better with CBR. Pan and scan captures do well with either. VBR can be hit and miss because of the inability to set a minimum VBR in MMC 7.1.

The burns are fine in Nero using Stinky's MMC 7.1 tool. Make sure VCD is set to 1 and you'll be okay. Nero complains at the end of the file checking process which is not a problem for what's going on here. Just turn compliancy off and proceed with your burn.

My captures at 352x480 are bordering on fantastic. Real time too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 352X480?
    I've been doing 352X240 and thought that was ok!
    I've got to settle on some value here begore I spend hours on converting our home movies!
    I did try 640X480 and wasn't sure if there was a big enough improvement in quality to justify the file size increase.
    Would whatever resolution I hit as "good enough" here also translate well to use as a setting in tempeg for DVD rips?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to capture at 352x480 on my ATI Radeon and can't figure it out. I see that next states it's sharper than the 352x240, if so please tell me how to set it up on my Radeon(how is it done).
    \
    Help, Please
    Quote Quote  
  9. yes yes yes - please tell us how to capture at 352X480 - is this file ready to go without any more working in virtual dub or tsunami? Thanks...

jpb
    ATI TV Wonder
    Quote Quote