VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am running into some issues when editing interlaced footage. If I don't cut on the right field, QTGMC results in jerky footage. Problem is I batch script QTGMC and not knowing if I cut on a top or bottom field prior messes up by workflow (even if I did know, it would still mess up my workflow). So is there a simple way to tell if one is cutting on a bottom or top field in an NLE to ensure one is making proper cuts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    I am running into some issues when editing interlaced footage. If I don't cut on the right field, QTGMC results in jerky footage. Problem is I batch script QTGMC and not knowing if I cut on a top or bottom field prior messes up by workflow (even if I did know, it would still mess up my workflow). So is there a simple way to tell if one is cutting on a bottom or top field in an NLE to ensure one is making proper cuts?

If you're using typical settings and editing on an matching interlaced timeline that matches your interlaced content source - you're cutting on frames, not fields, so you should never run into that problem .
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you are cutting at frames: if the video is TFF you are always cutting between the bottom field of one frame and the top field of the next. If the video is BFF you are always cutting between the top field of one frame and the bottom field of the next. Jerkiness after QTGMC would only be an issue if you are editing telecined film (and it would only be a frame or two at each cut). In that case you should IVTC before editing.

If you are separating the fields before cutting, then weaving the fields back together, you will end up switching the field order if you cut at a mix of even and odd field numbers. This will cause QTGMC to get jerky in the sections where the field order is reversed. Always cut at even field numbers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the responses guys. This isn't telecined content. And both of you are right, whether I cut at 1:00:00 or 1:00:01, I am still cutting on the frame. I just got really confused trying to troubleshoot what was going on. For some strange reason, even though this is supposed to be BFF/LFF, the field dominance somehow got reversed. I have no idea how or why. I figured this out after playing with different cuts and realizing that the only fix was to change the field dominance.
    Quote Quote