VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.
    I recently had a shoot in which I recorded a presentation that's over an hour long.
    Using flash memory, my files were split to a series of 2GB files.
    When I tried to stitch them back together I found that the audio drops in the last second or half-second.
    I was told that if I used SONY's Play MemoriesHOME it could import it and rejoin the files---which I tried and it works but it creates 4 or 5 'full' versions of the recording, none of which will save out---fail on render after only 10 minutes or so.
    How do others deal with split MTS files in AVCHD?.

Please let me know.

Thank you.
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The way AVCHD works (much like Blu-ray), MOST titles *are* split. It is not the job of the app to restitch unaided. Rather it uses the MPLS playlist info and CLPI clip info to properly stitch back together without gaps. But the app has to know that it should expect a proper avchd structure, not just some collection of files that - as far as the app is concerned - seem to have similar names and encoding as avchd files. See the difference?
    Some apps will specify avchd as a certain type of import , others will do it intrinsically when you open the avchd-structured folder.
    Don't know specifically about your app, but if it cannot do it right, move on to one that does. Your result should be single clean unified clips.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scott. Thank you for your reply. I gave up on the SONY app---that was their suggestion on an app to use. Through Adobe Premiere Pro I am sometimes able to open the AVCHD file and have it import the clips re-integrated. I say sometimes because some of the files seem to work...while others I get an error about a module failing. The other problem comes to rendering the video where in Premiere and After Effects I'm getting errors (also sporadically) saying (Rendering error while writing to file "....." An output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted (-1610153464)---which doesn't seem right to me as it's a new file. Bad sectors on drive? The separate MTS files play fine. It's just when compiling them that there's a problem.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you still have the problem? I suggest converting the .MTS files to .mp4 withe H264 video -- however you can (ffmpeg or avconv should work, among others). Make sure they play all right. If the converter can read them all right, then the .mp4 files will at least be self-contained, and most editors should handle mp4 all right. You should be able to splice them with a competent editor -- I hope. You never know with video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks VanillaMozilla but it isn't reading the MTS files that's the problem. It's re-combining them after the camera splits them into the 2GB chunks. When re-combining a split file, you lose the last second or so of audio in the clip. As I said, there have been times importing the AVCHD package into Premiere has worked and the resulting video is fine, but there have been many others that it hasn't and more-over, the import has failed completely. I think it might be a memory related thing--what drives I'm using for what and how much free space they have--but not completely sure. The failures seem very random how and when they occur. Obviously this isn't acceptable so I'm still in need of a solid workaround.
    Thanks.
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  6. Let's try this again.

1. ffmpeg -i filename.MTS -c:a copy -c:v copy filename.mp4
    (Or convert the .MTS files to .mp4 however you can, with whatever converter you can muster.)

2. Combine the two mp4 files with an editor.

You can get ffmpeg for Windows, and I think for Mac. ffmpeg is used to .MTS files, and I think it will handle them correctly. The .MP4 files are self-contained -- unlike AVCHD files -- so editors should be able to handle them correctly.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; 17th Jul 2017 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hola buen día....
    para unir 2 archivos de AVCHD puede utilizar el programa TSMUXERGUI
    Quote Quote