VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've recorded a movie using a DVB-T dual tuner adapter, I made two records, at the same time using two different softwares.

Before I start to encode one of them, I want to be sure I choose the best one.
    Looking at the same frame screenshot they look identical.
    The mediainfo is pretty much the same, except for some additional info at the end on the WinTV file, and a small difference in the audio delay.

Always in mediainfo is written they are Interlaced but in vdub2, mpc-hc and avspmod, somehow they look like they are 25p, aren't they?

So, my question is: which one is the best?
    Do you see something that I can't notice for which I do not have to use one of these two files?

samples: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/039av9yj09ydwh2/AAAMJrvaXcas_ypiwGy0QG9Ma?dl=0
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by maudit View Post
    So, my question is: which one is the best?
    They are exactly the same, you can run PSNR or similar metrics to confirm

Always in mediainfo is written they are Interlaced but in vdub2, mpc-hc and avspmod, somehow they look like they are 25p, aren't they?
    Content is progressive, encoding and flagging is interlaced - this is common practice for PAL area broadcast
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A recording of a DVB program is a "dump" of the audio and video and supplementary digital streams as received by the receiver; whatever software you use the quality is the same. There can be a difference in how the streams are packed inside a container, I remember the old fight PVA versus MPEG2-TS as best recording format
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    They are exactly the same, you can run PSNR or similar metrics to confirm

Content is progressive, encoding and flagging is interlaced - this is common practice for PAL area broadcast

ok thanks, they're the same, I'll choose one randomly.

anyway ok content is progressive, encoding is interlaced,, I can't get it.. excuse me but what it means?
    I'd like to re-encode it, cause I wanna crop it and maybe remove the logo, so when I encode it, I do not have to de-interlace, correct?
    Have I to care, have I to do something about the "encoding and flagging is interlaced"?
    Do I encode it normally like I do with progressive PAL DVDs, right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    A recording of a DVB program is a "dump" of the audio and video and supplementary digital streams as received by the receiver; whatever software you use the quality is the same. There can be a difference in how the streams are packed inside a container, I remember the old fight PVA versus MPEG2-TS as best recording format
    ok thank you I got it. I'll choose one by throwing dices.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by maudit View Post
    anyway ok content is progressive, encoding is interlaced,, I can't get it.. excuse me but what it means?
    I'd like to re-encode it, cause I wanna crop it and maybe remove the logo, so when I encode it, I do not have to de-interlace, correct?
    Have I to care, have I to do something about the "encoding and flagging is interlaced"?
    Do I encode it normally like I do with progressive PAL DVDs, right?

It just means field encoding, not progressive encoding. Most progressive PAL DVD's are done like this too.

Yes, treat it like a progressive PAL DVD. Do not deinterlace

The significance is some HW or SW players might wrongly deinterlace because they identify the interlace flag. Deinterlacing will degrades a progressive image.

Progressive encoding, progressive flagging has less chance of applying a deinterlace error
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by maudit View Post
    Try these links:

Originally Posted by maudit View Post
    Right, you do not need to deinterlace, you can treat it as progressive. But some elements added on top of the movie could be made in interlaced form, so you need to check for them and decide whether you can accept combing on elements made in video mode. If not, you may want to:
    • deinterlace the whole thing into 50p,
    • or maybe create a hybrid, in which the main content would be 25p frame-doubled to 50p, while the sections with video elements would be deinterlaced into 50p, and the final result would be in 50p.

Originally Posted by maudit View Post
    Have I to care, have I to do something about the "encoding and flagging is interlaced"? Do I encode it normally like I do with progressive PAL DVDs, right?
    DVDs technically are interlaced, but flags can tell the player that the content is progressive. If you render output as native progressive, your authoring software may or may not re-encode it.
    Quote Quote