VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not a big fan of DVDFab in general, but their Passkey program for decryption has been an exception. I would have considered buying it, but already have an AnyDVD HD lifetime license, and have never particularly needed Passkey. MakeMKV is my backup decryption program.

However, Fab is giving Passkey away for free from August 12th through August 31st. I downloaded and installed it, and it turns out to be the lifetime version, good for both DVD's and Blu-ray. Doesn't hurt to have an extra decryption program on hand.

http://www.dvdfab.cn/promotion.htm
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    By the way, AnyDVD HD throws a snit fit if you install Passkey in the same system. It shuts down access to the internet database until you uninstall Passkey. Passkey seems unfazed by AnyDVD's presence.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded and installed it,was wondering if it's just the lifetime of this version cause i can't see them supplying us with future versions free and thanks for posting the info and link.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Having installed the free version some days ago, I received notification today that a new version is available.

I passed on it since I do not want at this stage to lose, or risk losing, the 'never expires' status.

So the 64k question is if anyone has installed the new version over the free one and does the 'never expire' status remain ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Question: I downloaded the giveaway DVDFab passkey exe and the activation code. Do I have to install it before the free giveaway period is over ( Aug 31) or can I just store the exe and activation code and then install it at some distant future time after the giveaway is over?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Wait and see,nobody here can see the future.I also updated to the newest version and it's still free(never expires).
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Wait and see,nobody here can see the future.I also updated to the newest version and it's still free(never expires).
    Thanks for that. Expect I will see the update message again the next time I start the prog.

As for our friend's question, I must be missing something here. I do not see the point in getting something then not using it straight away.
    Quote Quote  
  8. As for our friend's question, I must be missing something here. I do not see the point in getting something then not using it straight away.
    I tend to not install or update programs unless I need them. But if there is a freebee that I can store away, who knows some years later I might want to use it. I've been using an old version (2008, see screenshot) of DVD Fab and the few times that I have used it to copy a DVD to the hard drive, it has worked for me.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	33227  

Last edited by jimdagys; 19th Aug 2015 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just updated Passkey and at the splash screen it says update date never expire. Sounds good to me.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for digging this one up.

As you can read above, I did acquire the free give-away/lifetime product back in 2015. Unfortunately, due to a system crash I had to re-install the program. Any email I received from the co. which might have included a licence key has also been lost in the crash.

The installed product states 'Free User/Never be used'

Went on to the DVDFab site to see if, as promised, they could resend the licence key. There does not appear to be an option for that. The 'renew' option confirms that I hold a lifetime product but that is in apparent conflict with the above remark.

The product appears to work ie Zone Code for BD is removed but I do wonder if this is just the program running in 'Lite' mode.

Any thoughts ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Apologies for digging this one up.

As you can read above, I did acquire the free give-away/lifetime product back in 2015. Unfortunately, due to a system crash I had to re-install the program. Any email I received from the co. which might have included a licence key has also been lost in the crash.

The installed product states 'Free User/Never be used'

Went on to the DVDFab site to see if, as promised, they could resend the licence key. There does not appear to be an option for that. The 'renew' option confirms that I hold a lifetime product but that is in apparent conflict with the above remark.

The product appears to work ie Zone Code for BD is removed but I do wonder if this is just the program running in 'Lite' mode.

Any thoughts ?
    See here - http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=29784
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that link.

Seems I am norked since I no longer possess the licence key that was in the email when I acquired the product.

I should not complain since this was a free program and as long as it continues to allow me to play my small collection of Zone 1 BD's and somewhat more Region 1 DVDs I will quite content.
    Quote Quote