VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what i want to do is copy a dvd movie on to my computer which im guessing will probably be maybe around 8 gigs and instead of compressing it to burn on 1 dvd i want to put the first half of the movie on 1 dvd and the second half of the movie on a second dvd. by doing it this way the quality of the movie will be identicle to the original but the only bad thing is the movie will be on 2 dvd's. how do i do this? i have a sopranos dvd copies to my computer right now and i want to put the first half of the episodes on 1 dvd and the second half on the second dvd. this is how my video ts folder looks like.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use DVD2one, open the VIDEO_TS folder and split it at the layers. You'll have to run it through DVD2one twice; once for each layer. This will be just the movie ... no menus. Then burn onto 2 discs

By the way you can find Verbatim DL DVD's for under $2 (don't use any other kind !!!)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im just curious, what makes verbatim better than everything else? and also do you know a cheap website to get them from or a store.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, first of all, there isnt nearly as many manufacturers that make DL media compared to single layer media. and fact is, verbatim is the *ONLY* manufacturer that produces stable media that is supported by most DVD writers.

also, stick with DVD+RDL; even verbatim DVD-RDL media isnt very good (and its not verbatims fault).

btw, if you want to split the movies while retaining the menus, you can do so with CloneDVD2 or with vobblanker. in cdvd2, click on the scissors icon and cut half the last half, then open another project and do the same thing, except cut the first half.
    in vobblanker (i dont havent used this tool for a while and dont have it on my computer) but i think theres a preview/cut option as well.

ANOTHER way is to rip it to your HDD, open with shrink, make 2 reauthored movie only projects, use titlewriter to add the original menus to both projects. this way is probably the hardest way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can someone show me how to use the dvd2one program to do what i was trying to do? can someone give me step by step directions on what to click on. when i click on make a movie it wont let me select any vob files. thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jay d: You are not supposed to click on VOBs. Just open the folder CONTAINING the VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im trying to only copy the first half of the dvd so i dont have to compress it. how do i go about doing that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an example of how to use DTOX (DVD2OneX) to split a long movie to 2 discs:

Let's use Gladiator, as an example, as it's about 2-1/2 hours long.

(1) I use MTR to rip the whole disc.

(2) Using DVD2OneX, I chose MOVIE ONLY and then pick which Audio and Subtitle files that I want. Since we're spliting the movie over 2 discs,
    we can keep both Dolby and DTS files, if we like.

(3) In the same side bar, you'll see another icon marked Cells, click on it and in the main window, you will see all the Cells listed. At the bottom of the main window, in the middle, you'll see a drop down button where you can choose between CELL/CHAPTER/LAYER Click on it and choose LAYER

The main window we now have the 2 LAYERS listed:
    Layer Duration Size
    (1) 01:16:21 3778 MB
    (2) 01:18:18 3880 MB

(4) For disc 1, we'll leave Layer 1 checked and uncheck Layer 2.
    Click on START, and process the disc.

(5) For disc 2, we'll leave Layer 2 checked and uncheck Layer 1.
    Click on START and process the disc.

We now have a copy of Gladiator, split over two discs.

If you have any questions, drop me a PM.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont really know anything about this stuff. which files are audio, subtitles, dolby and dts files? after i select movie only which file do i select. the whole sopranos dvd? or maybe the video ts folder? i have no idea what im doing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of DVD2OneX do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After you chose "Movie Only", you will navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder of the movie folder that you are backing up.

After ripping a DVD to your hard drive, lets go back to my example, above, you will have a folder, named "GLADIATOR". Inside that folder you will find two folders, one named AUDIO_TS and one named VIDEO_TS. AUDIO_TS will always be empty and all files pertaing to the movie will be the VIDEO_TS folder.

Go to your Preferences, in DVD2OneX and set your defaults for what audio and subtitle files that you want to keep. You can chose to even not keep any subtitles, if you like. Once you have set your Preferences, you will NOT have to do that step again, for each disc. The only time you may have to revisit the Prefs file, would be, if you decide, later, that you want to change your default settings for the Audio and Subtitle files.

So, you steps are:

Set your preferences, to your liking. Also read HERE

Chose the VIDEO_TS folder of the movie you backing up.

Follow the instructions, in my example, above.

You'll catch on.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone please show me how to use vobblanker to split a dvd9 into 2 files?

Originally Posted by xycer
    well, first of all, there isnt nearly as many manufacturers that make DL media compared to single layer media. and fact is, verbatim is the *ONLY* manufacturer that produces stable media that is supported by most DVD writers.

also, stick with DVD+RDL; even verbatim DVD-RDL media isnt very good (and its not verbatims fault).

btw, if you want to split the movies while retaining the menus, you can do so with CloneDVD2 or with vobblanker. in cdvd2, click on the scissors icon and cut half the last half, then open another project and do the same thing, except cut the first half.
    in vobblanker (i dont havent used this tool for a while and dont have it on my computer) but i think theres a preview/cut option as well.

ANOTHER way is to rip it to your HDD, open with shrink, make 2 reauthored movie only projects, use titlewriter to add the original menus to both projects. this way is probably the hardest way.
    Quote Quote