VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have been using mkvtoolnix for many years to add subtitles to movie files and to edit the metadata of mkv files. recently i used mkvtoolnix to remove the title metadata from an mkv file and i muxed the file and i saved the file in a folder on my laptop which has windows 10. it stayed in the folder for some time and i didnt use that file. after that i copied an mp4 file and that mkv file from the folder that has the mkv file to my nas an external hard disk by using windows explorer. i was able to copy both files to the nas but when i tried to copy both files to the external hard disk the mp4 file got copied but the file transfer froze when it was copying the mkv file. i cancelled the file copy and i restarted the laptop and i tried again and it again froze when i tried to copy the mkv file to the external hard disk. the external hard disk is healthy and i can copy other files to it but i cant copy that mkv file

if you open a folder in windows explorer and it has a bunch of movie files then windows can take time to read all the movie files so a green progress bar will show in the address bar on the top and it moves from left to right until it reaches the end of the address bar and then the progress bar goes away

after the file copy froze i opened the folder on my laptop that has the mkv file. i saw that the green progress bar was stuck midway in the address bar and it was not moving. this happened when that mkv file was selected. that means that the mkvtoolnix made a corrupted mkv file so i deleted it

i need to verify that the mkv file that mkvtoolnix makes is not corrupt. i found mkvalidator but it looks like i can only validate one file at a time. is it possible to validate a folder which has mkv files?

i am using mediainfo. if i open a corrupted mkv file in mediainfo then will it catch it?
    Last edited by cns00; 26th May 2022 at 10:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty much every MKV file I have tested with mkvalidator has given warnings.
    This does not mean they won't copy or play. They all do.
    If mkvalidator throws up an error then that might be different. I couldn't test as I don't have a dud file.

For multiple videos you just need to call mkvalidator.exe for each file in a folder.

validate.cmd
    Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mkv") do mkvalidator.exe "%%a" &pause
    To include all subfolders:
    validate2.cmd
    Code:
    for /f "usebackq delims=" %%a in (`dir *.mkv /b /s`) do mkvalidator.exe "%%a" &pause

Cheers
    Last edited by pcspeak; 26th May 2022 at 13:05.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using ffmpeg.exe this will remove metadata, creating the output in the New\ folder.
    Create the 2 line batch file, then drag and drop an MKV onto it.

no-meta.cmd
    Code:
    if not exist New\ md New
    ffmpeg.exe -i "%~1" -map_metadata -1 -metadata title="" -metadata comment="" -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s copy -y "New\%~nx1"
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you simply remux through mkvtoolnix in the muxing window it will show 'warnings' if there are any errors. The other technique I've used that sometimes works is to extract all tracks using MKVCleaver and then remux in mkvtoolnix
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote