VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I have this old movie encoded in DIVX5 that does not play on media players but plays well on a PC. More importantly the aspect ratio is wrongly encoded 4:3 and I need to stretch the image completely and fill my 16/9 screen to reestablish the correct proportions.
    How can I convert this file to play well with the correct aspect ratio on a media player?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it6 is quite easy to resize a video and re-encode to a more compatable codec. Whether a video using quite a legacy codec is up to the task is questionable.

What I suggest is you install avidemux (you will use it later for the task), use A/B markers and select 20-30 secs of the video. Choose copy for video and audio and output format same as what you currently have. Save the video and upload it here as an attachment. We can then have a 'play' with it just to see what is possible.

Just do not expect miracles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by xtrips View Post
    I have this old movie encoded in DIVX5 that does not play on media players
    That's rather unusual. Most media players can play DIVX5 and XVID. Use MediaInfo (text mode) to examine the video, post the result here. It's likely there's something else causing the problem. What does "does not play" mean? Does the player see the video? When you select it does it even try to play it? Do you get any picture at all? Does it get corrupt at times? A simple remux to AVI might result in a video that plays on your player. Some older players can only play DIVX/XVID at less than or equal to 720x576. And only in an AVI container.

Originally Posted by xtrips View Post
    More importantly the aspect ratio is wrongly encoded 4:3 and I need to stretch the image
    That can be done without reencoding with Mpeg4Modifier.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I have this old movie encoded in DIVX5 that does not play on media players
    That's rather unusual. Most media players can play DIVX5 and XVID. Use MediaInfo (text mode) to examine the video, post the result here. It's likely there's something else causing the problem. What does "does not play" mean? Does the player see the video? When you select it does it even try to play it? Do you get any picture at all? Does it get corrupt at times? A simple remux to AVI might result in a video that plays on your player. Some older players can only play DIVX/XVID at less than or equal to 720x576. And only in an AVI container.

More importantly the aspect ratio is wrongly encoded 4:3 and I need to stretch the image
    That can be done without reencoding with Mpeg4Modifier.
    Mpeg4modifier did the job of correcting the aspect ratio beautifully.
    Now remains only the playability on media players (Dune, eGreat, Zidoo, etc....). The picture freezes but the sound keeps running.

Here is the Mediainfo output:

General
    Complete name : z:\Trash\Le Champion (1979).avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 768 MiB
    Duration : 2 h 2 min
    Overall bit rate : 876 kb/s

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format settings : BVOP1
    Format settings, BVOP : 1
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : DX50
    Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
    Bit rate : 790 kb/s
    Nominal bit rate : 4 000 kb/s
    Width : 480 pixels
    Height : 352 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.187
    Stream size : 693 MiB (90%)
    Title : Video
    Writing library : DivX 5.2.1 Alpha (UTC 2004-09-08)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Format settings : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 32.0 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 64.8 MiB (8%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 26 ms (0.65 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 234 ms
    Title : Audio
    Writing library : LAME3.92
    Quote Quote  
  5. The two features that often cause problems (QPel and GMC) aren't used in that video. The frame dimensions (480x352) are OK but the bitrate is pretty high that frame size. A remux with AviDemux or VirtualDub might help. What player(s) are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't have it at hand but it's a Probox android box. Pretty standard player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi, if ou wnat to change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 you can also you use ffmpeg :
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy -aspect 16:9 output.avi
    But I would recommand the other tools mentionned in the previous posts.

Alos, something you can try is to change the Fourcc of your video with AVI FourCC Code Changer. Actualy it is DX50 (for DivX 5.0) , change to XVID (in order to use XviD which more players are compatible).

Like this you won't have to re-encode.

Best regards
    Last edited by Hunk91; 13th May 2022 at 08:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is for my ailing mother who wishes to see that in French.
    So I just thought about a more ambitious task.
    I just found a much better version of the movie in 1080p but the audio in is English.
    Would that be feasible to extract the audio from my AVI file which is in 25fps and mux it within the mkv 1080p 23.976fps version and of course achieve perfect sync?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok now. I have an MP3 audio file and an MKV file for the video. I used MKVtoolnix to mix them together but I end up with the audio track being 1.5s too early for the whole length of the movie. How do I remedy to that? I only have to delay the whole audio track by 1.5s.
    Last edited by xtrips; 13th May 2022 at 09:20. Reason: Updating task
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by xtrips View Post
    Ok now. I have an MP3 audio file and an MKV file for the video. I used MKVtoolnix to mix them together but I end up with the audio track being 1.5s too early for the whole length of the movie. How do I remedy to that? I only have to delay the whole audio track by 1.5s.
    MKVToolNixGUI lets you specify an audio delay. After adding your sources highlight the audio track in the lower left pane. Set the delay it to 1500 ms.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you all. It worked!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. So you, if I read you right, have abandoned the idea of using the original video.

Pretty sensible plan given the small frame size which was in my mind in the initial reply. As for the AR that appears to be screwed up regardless. And I doubt if it was 16:9 in the first place. But without seeing the actual video who knows.
    Quote Quote  
  13. All these tasks (changing aspect ratio, extracting audio and changing length and pitch, muxing to another video track in another container and much more) can all be done with one tool: clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any file with "Packed bitstream " is problematic on the Zidoo in my experience. I used Mpeg4Modifier to unpack - voila!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    All these tasks (changing aspect ratio, extracting audio and changing length and pitch, muxing to another video track in another container and much more) can all be done with one tool: clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Excellent! Thank you
    Quote Quote