VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am looking for a good (free or cheap) alternative to VideoRedo for editing MPEG2 files.

I like VideoRedo, but it's too expensive for me.

Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

Thanks!
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can get things done in a timely manner, you can use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard, which is free and fully functional for 30 days. If you are looking longer term it wouldn't be the right solution though as its around $100.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Cuttermaran, but it requires that you have elemeantary streams(audio and video files separated).
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've never used VideoRedo so I don't know it's capabilities. Define the "Editing" you want to do.
    For simple cuts I've had good success with Cuttermaran, but that's the only Mpeg2 editing I do.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey again,

Actually, I've decided to try out Cuttermaran, as it seems to be popular and free for what I am looking to do (cut out commericals, etc.).

I noticed that it needs demultiplexed audio and video files. Which is no problem, I have programs to demux. But does Cuttermaran remux the files when it is done? Or will I have to leave it up to my editing program (DVD Lab Pro 2) to do that?

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Cuttermaran can remux, but if your authoring program accepts separate streams it's not necessary.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. Any free alternative to Video Redo that converts TS files into MPG as fast as Video Redo does?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Megahurts View Post
    It doesn't work for me. I load my TS files and HDTVtoMpeg2 always crashes around half way through.

And the half completed MPG file is black screen only and doesn't play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried MPEGStreamclip or ProjectX ?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For TS to MPEG conversion I use "ffmpeg for MPG Muxing Version 2" (ffmpeg_MPGMUX.exe) from: http://babgvant.com/files/folders/misc/entry3716.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VideoRedo is an excellent program with a good online forum. You generally get what you pay, albeit there are some fine free programs. In this case, you pay for quality-no free lunch here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lovelylisa View Post
    Any free alternative to Video Redo that converts TS files into MPG as fast as Video Redo does?
    I guess this means AVIDemux 2.6 Experimental is not working out as well for you as you anticipated.

For months now you have been looking for a free alternative to VideoReDo that works just as well. It is time to come to terms with the fact that what you want does not presently exist and sometimes it is necessary to pay for software to get something that works well.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do like frame-accurate editing that VideoRedo has, but I hate the user interface. I much prefer the free Mpg2Cut2 over VideoRedo, especially considering the price of VideoRedo. Mpg2Cut2 is certainly not perfect, but works well for me, and is free.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V1de0Luvr View Post
    I do like frame-accurate editing that VideoRedo has, but I hate the user interface. I much prefer the free Mpg2Cut2 over VideoRedo, especially considering the price of VideoRedo. Mpg2Cut2 is certainly not perfect, but works well for me, and is free.
    I'd agree with you for editing video derived from recorded DVDs (freeware worked just fine for that), but I ran into a brick wall with the ATSC transport streams from my TV tuner card. TSSniper did the best job, but not nearly as good as VideoReDo Plus. Much of the time TSSniper couldn't cut .ts files without sync errors resulting. This was because it couldn't make adjustments to correct for one or two missing packets here or there that were lost during transmission. VideoReDo Plus can make the needed adjustments. A $50 price tag is not outrageous, especially considering how much better it works in comparison to the alternatives.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I'd agree with you for editing video derived from recorded DVDs (freeware worked just fine for that), but I ran into a brick wall with the ATSC transport streams from my TV tuner card.
    MPEG Transport Streams can be converted to Program Streams for freeware editing with the aforementioned ffmpeg_MPGMUX. If you have AVC/H.264 streams, which satellites use, then yes, freeware editors are pretty useless. Now that I record with Windows Media Center 7 instead of GB-PVR, I use remuxTool for the WTV to MPEG-PS conversion.

BTW, the link that VideoHelp put in for remuxTool is no good - get it from: http://www.mediafire.com/?r3cw1twutcwb7md#

For more info about WtvToMpeg and RemuxTool see: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/49/t/95712.aspx
    Last edited by V1de0Luvr; 24th Oct 2011 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd agree with you for editing video derived from recorded DVDs (freeware worked just fine for that), but I ran into a brick wall with the ATSC transport streams from my TV tuner card.
    MPEG Transport Streams can be converted to Program Streams for freeware editing with the aforementioned ffmpeg_MPGMUX. If you have AVC/H.264 streams, which satellites use, then yes, freeware editors are pretty useless. Now that I record with Windows Media Center 7 instead of GB-PVR, I use remuxTool for the WTV to MPEG-PS conversion.
    I did try converting to .mpg, but I still had the same issues. If data is missing to begin with, it will still be missing after changing to a different container file format. You must have exceptionally good reception not to have experienced a problem from time to time.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did try converting to .mpg, but I still had the same issues. If data is missing to begin with, it will still be missing after changing to a different container file format. You must have exceptionally good reception not to have experienced a problem from time to time.
    If VideoRedo can somehow repair glitches, then it might be worth having for that alone, but I still hate the user interface.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If VideoRedo can somehow repair glitches, then it might be worth having for that alone, but I still hate the user interface.
    There are limits to what it can do, but it can deal with minor problems. It removes a few frames here or there or adds a frame here and there to keep the audio and video in sync. The interface isn't pretty, but it is functional. I got used to it. VideoReDo TV Suite h.264 has a nicer-looking interface, but of course beauty and extra features come with a higher price tag.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Have you tried MPEGStreamclip or ProjectX ?
    Yes, and they work fantastic on my SD TS files but fail on my HD TS files.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Any free alternative to Video Redo that converts TS files into MPG as fast as Video Redo does?
    I guess this means AVIDemux 2.6 Experimental is not working out as well for you as you anticipated.

For months now you have been looking for a free alternative to VideoReDo that works just as well. It is time to come to terms with the fact that what you want does not presently exist and sometimes it is necessary to pay for software to get something that works well.
    AVIDemux 2.6 Experimental works excellent on my SD and HD .TS files, but around 30% of Ts files, AVIDemux 2.6 Experimental gives a "TOO SHORT" error message. Yet the same file in VideoRedo would complete and be playable.

I cannot use VideRedo anymore as the trial expired, so seeking a freeware alternative to VideoRedo that works in ALL files.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVIDemux 2.6 Experimental works excellent on my SD and HD .TS files, but around 30% of Ts files, AVIDemux 2.6 Experimental gives a "TOO SHORT" error message. Yet the same file in VideoRedo would complete and be playable.
    Who are you trying to convince, me or yourself? A 30% failure rate is not excellent performance. If it were, you would not still be coming here asking about a free program that works as well as VideoReDo Plus.

Over the past 18 months I tried nearly every freeware program listed at VideoHelp that is capable of editing or repairing MPEG-2 streams: AviDemux, Cuttermaran, DVBCut, HDTVtoMPEG2, MPEG StreamClip, Mpg2Cut2, Mpeg2Schnitt, PVAStrumento, ProjectX, and TSSniper, plus a few paid ones. None were even close to being as good as VideoReDo Plus for working with MPEG-2 material derived from my captured ATSC transport streams.

As I said before, what you want does not presently exist. You will have to pay if you want something available now that does a good job (VideoReDo Plus). My prediction is you could have the money saved out of your pocket change and be using VideoReDo Plus long before the freeware you want becomes available.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Oct 2011 at 11:57. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Who are you trying to convince, me or yourself? A 30% failure rate is not excellent performance. If it were, you would not still be coming here asking about a free program that works as well as VideoReDo Plus.

Over the past 18 months I tried nearly every freeware program listed at VideoHelp that is capable of editing or repairing MPEG-2 streams: AviDemux, Cuttermaran, DVBCut, HDTVtoMPEG2, MPEG StreamClip, Mpg2Cut2, Mpeg2Schnitt, PVAStrumento, ProjectX, and TSSniper, plus a few paid ones. None were even close to being as good as VideoReDo Plus for working with MPEG-2 material derived from my captured ATSC transport streams.

As I said before, what you want does not presently exist. You will have to pay if you want something available now that does a good job (VideoReDo Plus). My prediction is you could have the money saved out of your pocket change and be using VideoReDo Plus long before the freeware you want becomes available.
    Yeah it seems that way. There is no freeware that will work on ALL my TS files like VideoRedo does.
    Quote Quote  
  24. This may be late in the game. But, I am posting anyway.
    An EXCELLENT alternative to VideoREDO that is 100% free is "FREEVIDEOEDITOR" You need to be careful what version you get.
    NO LIMITS, NO WATERMARKS. Saved output is EXTREMELY FAST, Loading a file is much longer but tolerable. Loading must be indexed
    and takes a while.
    NEWER versions are loaded with bloatware and stuff I don't like on my computer. I am using V 1.2.1 Build 515.
    Getting used to it is different. It works the opposite of VideoReDo. The selections are what you save not toss.
    It is not as granular as VideoReDo. Editing down to 1/4 or 1/10 of a second isn't possible. But, the supported formats are WAY better.
    It is 100% FREE. Just be careful what version yo get.
    I never install an application that installs from the internet. Usually it puts junk on your computer. I do have a full offline installer.
    Check out this URL about this version, instructions and features.
    http://saniac.com/edit-video-with-free-video-editor/
    Don't forget, you don't remove commercials, your selections save content.
    Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okey...first time poster recommending an adware packed software and posting an url and grave digging....but I guess it's okey this time. You can download version 1.2.1 from our site https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Free-Video-Dub/old-versions#download
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FreeVideoEditor does not have the ability to compensate for errors in a DTV transport stream like VideoReDo, so despite what the shill in post #24 says, it isn't nearly as useful as VideoReDo for removing commercials from DTV captures produced by a TV tuner card.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FreeVideoEditor does not have the ability to compensate for errors in a DTV transport stream like VideoReDo, so despite what the shill in post #24 says, it isn't nearly as useful as VideoReDo for removing commercials from DTV captures produced by a TV tuner card.
    Well I was searching for the same answer the original thread starter was asking. I wanted something cheaper than videoredo. When I put in video redoequivalent in a Google search it game me the choice of a Mac equivalent of videoredo so even though I do not have a Mac I decided to take a look. looking at what another Mac forum said they recommended squared5. Which can be found here. But in the past when I used anything, but videoredo life the person in my above quote it didn't compensate for lost video frames from my over the air video tuner capture.

So does anyone here know if the squared5 program is a real honest to God equivalent of videoredo having a mechanism for using timestamps encoded in over the air television to re-sync over the air TV transcode's to what still is a lip-synch accurate video file now transcode it?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MarcMiller View Post
    Well I was searching for the same answer the original thread starter was asking. I wanted something cheaper than videoredo. When I put in video redoequivalent in a Google search it game me the choice of a Mac equivalent of videoredo so even though I do not have a Mac I decided to take a look. looking at what another Mac forum said they recommended squared5. Which can be found here. But in the past when I used anything, but videoredo life the person in my above quote it didn't compensate for lost video frames from my over the air video tuner capture.

So does anyone here know if the squared5 program is a real honest to God equivalent of videoredo having a mechanism for using timestamps encoded in over the air television to re-sync over the air TV transcode's to what still is a lip-synch accurate video file now transcode it?
    No, Squared5's MPEG Streamclip can't compensate for errors in the captured transport stream like VideoReDo. I used it for editing DVD video, but when I bought a TV tuner card tried to use it on captured DTV transport streams, it choked on HD video, and didn't compensate for errors in the captured transport stream for SD broadcasts.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, Squared5's MPEG Streamclip can't compensate for errors in the captured transport stream like VideoReDo. I used it for editing DVD video, but when I bought a TV tuner card tried to use it on captured DTV transport streams, it choked on HD video, and didn't compensate for errors in the captured transport stream for SD broadcasts.
    So then in regard to error in the transport stream is there any thing you or anybody else here knows in regard to what's available for other operating systems other than Windows which would be an editor and transcoder for video transport streams captured on a television tuner? I mean one which would keep everything in perfect lip-synch after it does its work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not as friendly as VideoRedo in appearance but does fix transmission and other errors. Editing is dead easy is ProjectX, available for MAC and PC and is free. It has the ability to put "chapter" markers in for a few programs that can use them. I use it all the time for removing commercials from local TS mpeg2 AC3 transmissions. It doesn't do H264 unfortunately - hint Oozoon!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote