VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,
    I have an old Sanyo camera that I want to power with solar panel+powerbank in my next trip.
    The camera as usual comes with the adapter that has from one side a cord that goes to the camera and on the other side a cord (that can be unplugged) that goes to the wall socket. Is it possible to change this last cord with one that gets power from a powerbank instead of the wall-socket?
    • The powerbank that I'm using (20'000mAh/74Wh) says Input: DC5V - 2,1A / Output: DC5V - 4,8A (total)
    • The camera adapter: Output: DC5,0V - 2,0A / Input: AC 100-240V - 50-60Hz 24-37VA
    So I hope there's a cord to buy that from one end is USB and on the other end like this (image attached):
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2021-01-18 alle 16.43.34.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	56838  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Powerbank = DC. Wall socket = AC. Incompatible!

If your camcorder has a slot for an onboard battery, that COULD maybe be modified to support a powerbank instead (or rather, the powerbank would need its output to be modified to match the cam's power needs, and it would need an adapter to emulate the contact geometry of the existing onboard battery.

Remember: a "powerbank" is just another glorified battery. So it can only replace a battery in the same way the battery operates. (There are some exceptions).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok thanks.. so the only way is if I find a dummy battery adapter with usb to power it (like I saw some vids on youtube do with dslr cameras)
    OK, thanks man
    Quote Quote  
  4. I see there are cameras that can be charged with powerbank like the Zoom q8
    this one is compact enough for me but the issue is the zoom is digital.
    Does anyone know of a similar camera with normal zoom?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2021-01-19 alle 08.52.59.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	56847  

Quote Quote  
  5. You can use an inverter to convert DC to AC. But they are usually designed for automobile use, so 12V DC to 100-240V, 50-60Hz AC. So you'll need to get a 5V DC to 12V DC boost converter too.

You're better off just skipping the camera power adapter and feeding the 5V output of your powerbank directly to the camera's 5V input.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks jagabo, I opted for another solution.. I had another more professional camera (panasonic g6) so I found on ebay a dummy battery with USB that can connect to a powerbank.. It's heavier camera but much better options than my compact sanyo.
    Quote Quote