VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm interested in restoring really old cartoons - essentially Max Fleischer's 1920's and 1930's work. Lots of black and white. I'm a total newbie at this - but am reasonably good at learning new computer programs.

Can anyone recommend (a) software to use? and/or (b) tutorials to get started?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL. i love posts like this. like there is some magical filter that you can use to "restore" anything. sorry to bust your balloon but unless you have access to the original filmstock, a 4K frame scanner, and a whole lot of artists to repaint every frame you ain't "restoring" anything.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf, lordsmurf, lordsmurf! LOL

Hopefully he'll appear like Beetlejuice because this is right up his alley as he enjoys and is really good at restoring old cartoons, though perhaps not as old as these.

aedipuss is correct. Restoration is a whole other realm. Assuming you're not working with the original films or even the original digital transfer masters, you're applying filters to correct and enhance whatever source (presumably Blu-Ray or DVD) you have.

Edit: There is no one software, filter or tutorial that will work equally for every cartoon. You'll have to learn the application of filters and techniques, possibly different for each cartoon.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good for you, Fleischacker, give it a shot. Programs like Virtual Dub and AVISynth (both free) allow you to apply all sorts of filters/improvements to video. Whether it will work for your material, only trying it will tell. Read the Wikis for each program for the background and general operation of each.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    lordsmurf, lordsmurf, lordsmurf! LOL
    Hopefully he'll appear like Beetlejuice
    Name:  Smurfed-Beetlejuice-cartoon-headless.gif
Views: 719
Size:  8.2 KB

Originally Posted by Fleischacker View Post
    I'm interested in restoring really old cartoons - essentially Max Fleischer's 1920's and 1930's work. Lots of black and white. I'm a total newbie at this - but am reasonably good at learning new computer programs.
    Can anyone recommend (a) software to use? and/or (b) tutorials to get started?
    Thanks!
    I've never been a Fleischer fan in general, but do enjoy his Superman and Betty Boop. Maybe some Popeye, but I tire of it quickly.

A lot of these toons cannot be restored by extant sources (nth gen "public domain" crap-quality releases), and a true restoration needs to go back to film. Betty Boop, Superman, and Popeye all got that treatment in the past 20 years, restored and released to DVD. Maybe Gabby as well?

To even consider restoring these, samples are needed. There's no one-size-fits-all restore method.

And DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME with stuff from torrents or Youtube. That's a road to nowhere. You'll need the actual sources that people used for upload.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 13th Nov 2020 at 21:05.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone -

All of this information is really helpful - from the encouraging and discouraging. It gives me some direction to go in - and s clear idea about some trees up which not to bark!

Many thanks,

Jane
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf - How do I get in touch with directly?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hold your breath until you turn BLUE!

Click on his username and there's an option to PM him. His throne is at digitalfaq.com so you can PM him there too. Because sometimes he gets busy and doesn't visit here for a while.
    Quote Quote