VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What would be a good way to create videos clips for Youtube in HD using Virtualdub2? What would be a good way to make good, crisp video clips for Youtube? I have some animated shows that want to make clips or do I just resize it using Nearest Neighbor, Lanzcos3,etc.?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably the best upscaler for VirtualDub is Infognition's Super Resolution.

But you can upscale for free with AviSynth's nnedi3_rpow2(), maybe with aWarpSharp() and Sharpen() before and/or after. Learning AviSynth is tough though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    Looks like I got a lot of reading to do.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Probably the best upscaler for VirtualDub is Infognition's Super Resolution.

But you can upscale for free with AviSynth's nnedi3_rpow2(), maybe with aWarpSharp() and Sharpen() before and/or after. Learning AviSynth is tough though.
    No kidding man. AVISynth feels like studying a foreign language at times.....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Avisynth is a pain in the "butt".
    By the way I don't like the result of this "resizer", it works great with anime and materials like that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    By the way I don't like the result of this "resizer", it works great with anime and materials like that.
    You have to be careful with real world video. Even if you make edges really sharp there will be no detail between them. So everything looks like plastic. That is, you're not creating HD detail, just enlarging the frame while keeping edges sharp and free of aliasing artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You have to be careful with real world video. Even if you make edges really sharp there will be no detail between them. So everything looks like plastic. That is, you're not creating HD detail, just enlarging the frame while keeping edges sharp and free of aliasing artifacts.
    Agree!
    Overall it has a "plastic" look.

Source:

720 upscale.

Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1234, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    Quote Quote  
  7. But compare that to more tradition resizing, like Lanczos3:

[Attachment 47922 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But compare that to more tradition resizing, like Lanczos3
    Yes!
    This is the "out of the frying pan into the fire" kind of situation.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should I just do the two resizes or should I just learn AVISynth?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should I just use my PowerDirector program to cut the clips? Or should J just do the standard Nearest Neighbor and Lanzcos resize?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Personally I really don't care about resizers because many modern TV's this days can handle upscale/downscale just fine and much better than software solution. My monitor is a Sony Bravia 47W802A, it has a X-Reality-whatever video processor that does a great job upscaling and enhancing low resolution sources and it's a TV I'm not giving up so soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ycx96gdZ4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdjGf4UtxCY

This is a 2012 TV model, imagine what they can do today.

There isn't a one size fits all for upscaling/downscaling video content, you have to analyze how many damage it will cause in a case by case scenario. Over here I use "BicubicResize" to upscale and "BilinearResize" to downscale, but again this is a general example, I have good results with BilinearResize to upscale som VHS sources, it depends. There are cases that I use "PointResize" that is very "raw" and blocky and latter I do a post production with some filters to smooth it out and give the finish I want like "Dehalo_alpha".

Some people uses "nnedi3_rpow2", I don't like it because it gives a "plastic" look, it looks fake to me. But this is a personal taste, you need to test different resizers and decide for yourself what looks best for you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    Should I just use my PowerDirector program to cut the clips? Or should J just do the standard Nearest Neighbor and Lanzcos resize?
    Did you try jagabo's earlier suggestion of using Infognition's Super Resolution in VDub (or VDub2)? It's free now.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've done a test with this infognition software and it looks like a Lanczos3+heavy sharpness, it show a lot of noise. I don't have any other SD material to test it out, but it will give an idea.

MARVEL Super Hero vs Street Fighter(point)(720p)
    Code:
    PointResize(960, 720)
    TemporalSoften(13, 14, 18, scenechange=15, mode=2)
    MARVEL Super Hero vs Street Fighter(nnedi3)(720p)
    Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=960, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    MARVEL Super Hero vs Street Fighter(bilinear)(720p)
    Code:
    BilinearResize(960, 720)
    Sharpen(0.8)
    MARVEL Super Hero vs Street Fighter(bicubic)(720p)
    Code:
    BicubicResize(960, 720)
    Sharpen(0.8)
    MARVEL Super Hero vs Street Fighter(VEnhancer)(720p)
    Just selected the 960x720.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Super Resolution filters won't work well with this type of material since they analyze sub-pixel motions to tease out more detail. When that fails they fall back on more traditional resizing/sharpening.

nnedi3 was originally written for anime. Typically hand painted cells, shot on film, then digitized. So the source is moderately well antialiased.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Looks like Super Resolution doesn't work well with anything, it's just my personal impression.
    I've uploaded a few more samples but I don't use any resizer, the settings are the same, just changed the source.

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by amaipaipai; 14th Feb 2019 at 21:29.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Super Resolution filters won't work well with this type of material since they analyze sub-pixel motions to tease out more detail. When that fails they fall back on more traditional resizing/sharpening.

nnedi3 was originally written for anime. Typically hand painted cells, shot on film, then digitized. So the source is moderately well antialiased.
    So even cartoons won't work with the resizer? I wanted to make clips from cartoon shows but I guess I would just I have to stick with traditional resizing.
    Quote Quote  
  17. nnedi3 is great with cartoons. Far better than your TV, media player, or computer can do.

Super resolution like Video Enhancer uses won't work well.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I will have to just find that and use it in Virtualdub.

Edit: How do you upscale and downscale with Nnedi3?
    Last edited by Guernsey; 27th Feb 2019 at 01:14.
    Quote Quote