VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys. I'm new and have glanced around the forums trying to see which freeware/software I should use for copying DVDs. Generally, I would like to rip an anime dvd so I can make higher quality AMVs, but occasionally I would like to take the same anime DVD and make a copy of it. I've downloaded Mac the ripper and DVD@oneX2 and was able to successfully rip a DVD, burn it onto a disc, and play it on an external player. However, I don't like free trials (unless it's a free program altogether) and would rather just buy a program that I know won't hurt my computer.

That being said, what program should I invest in to copy DVDs to my computer (and edit them in FCP) and burn them to a disc (also straight from DVD to DVDR)? Feel free to recommend freeware as well if it's trustworthy.

(I also apologize if this is in the incorrect forum)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your fine with the program you have to rip. they wont hurt your computer. MPEG Stream Clip is a great tool to demux and convert your DVDs to an editable format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but that DVD2oneX2 thing is a 30 day trial. I would like something I can keep on my computer. Any other suggestions for that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Invest in MpegStreamclip, buy the $20 QT Mpeg-2 add on
    ( you will need it to demux the streams), and you'll
    be able to open and demux to DV Stream to edit within FCP.

I also assume you have the newest MTR, v. 3.0r14m,
    which handles the newest copy protections? if so, then yes,
    your Ripping software is fine.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JonnyPhoenyx
    Yeah, but that DVD2oneX2 thing is a 30 day trial. I would like something I can keep on my computer. Any other suggestions for that?
    You said earlier that you don't mind paying for software. Well, there's your solution: Simply pay for DVD2oneX2. Then you can use it beyond the 30-day trial period. The trial period is just that -- you try it. If you like it and want to keep it on your computer, you send them money. Done.

If you want only free tools, then that's different from what you were saying in your original post. There are no free DVD shrink tools on the Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink can be used on a Mac with a little effort. See this url http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/668414 for a general guide to getting Shrink to work. Seems only a particular release of Darwine will enable Shrink. Scroll to near the bottom to read my experience in accomplishing this.

Not sure if this helps, thought I'd throw it out there. Should add that since I have never used a PC, using DVD Shrink is odd in a Mac environment - thinking its the directories - directory structure that twists me a little.

HTH
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok a lot of these links just dont work...where can i get Darwine 1.0-rc2 ? i can't find it anywhere.

Originally Posted by macbuz View Post
    DVD Shrink can be used on a Mac with a little effort. See this url http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/668414 for a general guide to getting Shrink to work. Seems only a particular release of Darwine will enable Shrink. Scroll to near the bottom to read my experience in accomplishing this.

Not sure if this helps, thought I'd throw it out there. Should add that since I have never used a PC, using DVD Shrink is odd in a Mac environment - thinking its the directories - directory structure that twists me a little.

HTH
    Quote Quote