VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before I get started keep in mind that I am only 17. :P About a year ago I decided I wanted to try and make a living through programming. It almost seemed to good to be true, I've always loved math and problem solving. Basically, this is what happened:
    -I get started with Visual Basic 6, then .NET becomes the latest and greatest in the programming world.
    -I finally gave in and decided to start working with C++ .NET, and now that damned Mr. Gates decided he wants to throw out Windows XP and introduce Windows code named "Longhorn," (I am starting to think he is trying to make me go poor. )
    What am I to do? I am already starting to get burned out on programming, I hate getting in to things and then having to make changes. For those of you who make a living through programming, what will you do? I've done a bit of reading on Longhorn and it seems that alot of things will be changed. Would it be worth it to change operating systems and try and get a jump start? Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't despair.

Many large software houses face exactly the same problems.

First of all, any experience and skills you get in programming will serve you no matter what programming language you use or what operating system. Programming is "abstract" and finishes once you have an algorithm or flowchart in place. What's next is "coding".

I started my involvement in programming some 24 years ago. I worked with a primitive machine that supported interpreted Basic and I soon worked with Z-80 assembler. Then came C. Then I started working and I had to also learn COBOL. Then back to C and 8086 (now 80586) assembler. Then Visual Basic 6. Believe me, the early principles from some 20 years ago still apply.

Mr. Gates can only affect the way we code. For the time being, at work, we ignore him. We virtually ignored Visual Studio .Net 2002, and also 2003. It gave no extra benefit to what we are building and only meant we should throw away our source code and re-develop it. Our customers would have to throw away their PCs (still many run under Windows 98 - they ignored Windows Me) and get XP. No reason for that.

I suggest you start with Visual Basic 6 as you did. Don't worry yourself with complex issues about inter-application interface, component development or the like. In any case these are advanced issues and if you are starting you need to avoid them anyhow.

Once you understand programming and earn experience, you will be able to understand the benefits of using a new technology.By that time, both XP will be obsolete as well as Longhorn (I hope )
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, I understand programming should go from the easiest to the
    hardest languages. But, I would really suggest to learn VC++ first.
    This tool never dies and is very flexible. You can do so much more
    than VB. Don't worry about Longhorn etc. because OS's apps are
    compatible backward and lots of programs can be just recompilled.
    PCs are still very slow as it comes to real heavy calculations as
    f.ex. complex discrete fourier functions transforms,integrals,or other
    advanced conversions used in video and 3D. I guess only the future
    generation of fotonic CPUs will show us some good speed.
    So far to make apps fast - VC++ with assembly optimized functions
    if needed.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Skip the software stuff and learn how to design hardware using Verilog. Verilog is a high-level (although it seems like low level to me at times) descriptive language. Some folks like VHDL but those that have used both tend to like Verilog. Tools exist to translate Verilog or VHDL into gates and flip-flops that can be shoved into an ASIC or FPGA silicon. Not only do you have to figure out how to get an algorithm to work you need to also get it to fit in your chip and meet the timing spec. Lots of constraints to satisfy and you do get to do math. Back when I used to work at HP (before they got out of engineering products) I had the best time taking 3D graphics algorithms and putting them into hardware.

Don't forget the whole risk of outsourcing issue (software=very high, hardware=somewhat,marketing/sales=very low). If you are not sure what you want to do, find a job that companies in your country will not outsource at 1/3 the wage that you might like to do. I do not think software is a good industry to get involved in. It is fun as a hobby but I would not like to try making a living doing it for the long run. Even the game developer are getting hit by this trend.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know I'll get flamed for this but here goes. Switch to Linux and get all your compilers for free. Then learn to write raw code that can be compiled on both system. I've written over 300 Programs for Unix main framehere at work. When we made the switched to Linux All I had to was recompile. I've since written another 50-75 more. So I make my Living out writing software for Linux/Unix. For Windows Yes I have to make some changes but they are Minimal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Very interesting points. I haven't heard about Verilog but the fact is that
    software programing and engeneering is very needed especialy in smaller
    businesses. Writing small fast and practical programs like databases or
    all kinds of data converters is a really good profit. Looks like most of people
    learn HTML etc but there's a small number of people that in fact can write
    a working stable win32 (soon64) application. That's of course my opinion
    inferred from observations. Of course in hardware business there's much
    more profit but people who get that job and good wages IMHO are just
    very lucky.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even better m8:

To save yourself from a life of complications, poor pay, every evolving skills, hard work and frustration...

Bcome a plumber!

Do f-all all day, charge a bloody fortune and if it all goes wrong, WHO CARES!

Why, oh why, did I EVER get into engineering? Please, anyone????

Sorry, just havin' a laf (but don't let that disguise the truth)!

Andy.
    Work you bloody thing....
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!