VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone use avs2 and can answer some questions?
    Like:
    a. in what container does is usually come in?
    b. what audio is it usually parred with?
    c. is xavs2 the recommend encoder or are there better alternatives?

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi there,

As far as I know, dAVS2 and xAVS2 are official open-sourced decoder and encoder for AVS2. Perhaps, you might be interested in the Doom9 archived thread here - https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1862832

theessayservice
    Last edited by moonkrj; 21st Mar 2019 at 00:44. Reason: thread + typos
    Quote Quote  
  3. according to http://www.avs.org.cn/AVS2/en/download.asp
    There are:
    • AVS2 Reference Source Code
    • AVS2 Real-time Encoder - uAVS2
    • AVS2 Cloud Platform - OpenAVS2
    • PKU-VCL AVS2 Reference Software xRD1.0
    with xAVS2 this makes at least four encoders (xAVS2, uAVS2, OpenAVS2, the reference software)
    Problems is: my questions regarding container, audio and which of these encoders is 'better' isn't really answered by this.
    I hoped some of the chinese users might know a bit more about avs2,...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Funny this popped to the top of the new posts, as 12 hours ago I was just looking up avs2 info and looking how to go about encoding with it. Just out of the blue and unrelated to this thread. Had heard about AVS, the first one, but never got into it. But last night I saw a pdf (in Chinese) and could make out a graph basically claiming it's on par with x265 or slightly worse, but AV1 beating both x265 and AVS2. So it sounds worth while.
    Quote Quote  
  5. avs1 is some modified H.264, where as avs2 is a modified H.265 from what I read so far.
    Since av1 is simply too slow for me atm. to be useful I thought that avs1 and avs2 might be interesting, but sadly I can't find answers so simple questions like what container it should be put into and similar.
    Atm. I'm mainly wondering whether these formats are really used by anyone, or whether they are mainly a 'marketing gag'.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!