VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    As per the title question.
    After hours of research on online auctions near my place. I finally found two cameras with AV Input connector. Those camcorders allow for dubbing from VCR.
    The difference between them is the type of AV connection.
    GR-DX107:

GR-DV4000:

Anyway, both seem to be able to do the job. This is not the main question of the topic but maybe someone knows the advantages and disadvantages of above two solutions?
    (I have found the only manual in Norwegian, so later in this post, I will use some sentences from GR-DV3000 which seems very similar).

Ok, so, the main question of this topic.
    Why do I think this camera can support pass-through conversion?
    I have found on this forum another thread where TeachDJ claims that JVC GR-DVL820U support pass-through.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/84104-JVC-Camcorder-allows-analog-pass-through
    I downloaded user manual for GR-DVL820U and it seems to be very similar to GR-DV4000 and GR-DX107.
    This manual (the same as for GR-DX107 and GR-DV4000) does not explicitly mention about pass-through conversion.
    Those three manuals have the same chapter "Dubbing To Or From A VCR/Dubbing From A VCR".
    GR-DX107:

GR-DV3000 (just pasting it because it is similar model to DV4000):

GR-DV4000 (Sett inn opptakskassetten i dette kameraet.
    = Insert the recording cassette into this camera.):

GR-DVL820U:

I have highlighted using yellow two sentences in the manual.
    First is about:
    Insert the empty cassette into the camera. (Included in all except GR-DX107)
    Second is about notes:
    Analog signals can be converted.... (Included in all 4 manuals (In the Norwegian on the second page, I didn't paste is here))

I read in many places to use DV out (i.Link), the cassette pocket has to be empty, so that manual seems to write about saving VHS to miniDV cassette.
    It is very weird that JVC does not mention that their cameras support pass-through analog to digital conversion? Or the sentence "Analog signals can be converted to digital signals with this procedure." tells that?

So, DO anyone know if those cameras support pass-through conversion or not? I would like to be sure before buying.
    Last edited by wlodek14a; 13th Apr 2020 at 05:34.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Analog tapes should be captured from S-Video, You are limiting your quality if you are capturing from composite and even worse from iLink to a lossy codec such as DV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the comment. Anyway, still waiting if someone had one of the mentioned camera and can help me with questions
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wlodek14a View Post
    It is very weird that JVC does not mention that their cameras support pass-through analog to digital conversion? Or the sentence "Analog signals can be converted to digital signals with this procedure." tells that?
    Technically, "analog to digital passthrough" should mean that you can convert analog to digital on-the-fly without any MiniDV tape inserted.

It's clear from the manuals that they can convert analog to digital, but unclear about whether they will do this without recording to tape. Some Digital8 and MiniDV cams weren't designed to skip the tape step, as I recall.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote