VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have no other option than to shoot the footage I need at nights. The probablem I'm encountering is that the scenes look a little too yellow...not a natural light as the sun would provide. This despite having two 60w bulbs and another 500w halogen lamp in the room I'm shooting.

I'm not getting any weird artifacting like you would expect from low-light situations, but would like to know what you guys would recommend.

FWIW, I'm shooting in a 12'x12' room with a JVC GR-DV500 using ~600w of lighting.

As always, thanks a million...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Readjust the white balance if you can. Indoor lights are a different K value than outdoors. My still camera (Nikon D1) has several settings, some of them custom, for me to shoot at, change as needed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep - do a white balance. My JVC GR-DV2000 looks yellow without it.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Great responses...I'll do that.

next question: When I shoot, I'm using the 'manual' mode with digital image stabilizer turned off (thank you search engine)...I have the JVC on a tripod and focused in on the piece of artwork I'm working on at the moment. While I'm talking and moving, every once in a while, I'll cast a shadow over my work...at the moment the shadow goes over the work, the focus goes out...any clues?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds that the manual mode does not desactive your focus. Are you sure this is the proper way to desactive it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sugar...desactive is something that my camera may not have. At least I don't see it as an option on my menu screen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Red96TA
    Welcome to my nightmare!
    Most everybody here talks about the ones and zeros of video, but the truth is in the light! I can't begin to explain even a small part of it but I will try to help.
    If you are in a controled enviroment (sounds like you are) control the light. Try using photo floods or at least differnt types of bulbs to get differnt effects. More wattage is not the same as differnt color light. Think about what you want the light to do. Shadow? No shadow? Fill in? Backlight? Tint?
    Lighting can be very technical and or very artsie. See if you can borrow someones photo floods or play in their studio to experiment with light. Maybe a yard sale could yeild old photo equipment or splurge and buy it all new! Anyhow I do recomend "The photographers handbook" by John Hedgecoe. It contains alot of knowledge and not completley over my head.

Good luck ZAPPER
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  8. The standard lighting setup for, say, an interview is a 3 light kit. A key light (main light) fill light (softer/lower wattage for filling in shadows) and a back light (to give the subject a more 3D appearance). Exposure will also play a part. Usually expose for the face and adjust the back light so as not to burn out the background image.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was filming some people dancing in a studio where I couldn't control the lighting. If I adjusted the shutter speed they seeemed to be moving less than smoothly- strobing. So I left it in automatic mode and I got black and white footage. I was hoping I could filter this so as to add color when I processed the avi- but no joy. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something as simple as a video light for your camera might be the solution. If you are wanting to be candid this isn't really helpful though and some places may not allow you to use other light sources. In a controled setting try to get as much information on the tape as you can. Later the effects can be added or adjusted. I hate to be one who tells you to read the manual or other sources but it might help. Don't be discouraged. Lighting can be very hard to deal with. What you see and what the camera records can be very differnt. Get lots of practice, let others see your work and tell you how it looks to them, you may be to hard on your own work or it may be horrible. If the gift of understanding light doesn't come to you easy welcome to my world! Research it and play with it take notes if you must, but don't let it get you down!

Good luck ZAPPER
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  11. enery80s...I'll be shooting more footage tonight and I'll try to set up my lighting as you suggested. I think I can scrounge up the lights. I'll use my 500w as the primary source, the 100w as the fill light, and a 60w for my back light.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a lot to know about lighting.
    Two very good books:

Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blain Brown (Focal Press)

Lighting for Digital Video & Television by John P. Jackman (CMP Books)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was just about to say what the last post did: buy a book. But no online. Find a camera/video store, preferably one that caters to professionals and not a cheapo-only shop, and get a good book on lighting. Find one that you like. Some book stores may have them too, but I highly suggest a pro camera shop.

Hint: Any store that sell a "Nikon D1x" camera (and has them in stock) will be the kind of store you want.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. When I took photography in college, for lighting we used a special bulb which was actually blue but output a very white light. You can probably get it at your nearest photography store. Also, consider getting a fill light or at least a reflective panel (a sheet of white poster board would work). That would help with the harsh shadows.

In my 3D software, the books I have recommend a bright light high and at about 45 degrees from the subject, called the key light. Then on the other side (about 90 degrees from the key), a fill light at 25% brightness and not as high. A second fill light is optional. It is directly behind the subject and above. My understanding is that the fill lights are intended to soften the shadows not cast new ones.

Darryl
    Quote Quote